BMW's new parallel twins - F800/650GS (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by kejago, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    OK, so the F650 has been around for some time now.
    No-one has rumoured that it might be upgraded or
    replaced. But wouldn't the new F800 be an ideal
    replacement for a new mid-sized GS?

What thinks you: F800GS? Will it be built? :dunno

Kev.
  2. JohnTM

JohnTM Who's my daddy? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably. The F800S is already been announced, and reports were that they were testing the engine in a F650GS frame, so sure, why not? More likely a replacement for the 650 rather than a mid-range addition though.
  3. Linzi

Linzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will this also be a single? I really wanted to like the F650, but the motor just had zero juice--especially when I rode if after hopping off of a Rockster.

Also, they're pretty 'spensive for what they are. But, a bit more juice in the same sized package would be great. :thumb
  4. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Same size would be great. Same size and weight would be devine.
  5. rallybug

rallybug Local Yokel

Oddometer:
    The F800S is a twin, putting out in excess of 80bhp if the reports are correct. :thumb
  6. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    The 800 is a twin. Why did it get moved here?
  7. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    Ride it again on a tight twisty road. Initially the power is not impressive, but when you get the thing on a mountain road it is a blast. I have caught sport bikes and left sport bikes for dead. It’s an amazing little machine. Momentum is the key. Also, keep the revs between 4 and 6 grand. You will be impressed at how much road you can cover. If you don't like shifting it’s not the bike for you. Also, if you live in an area that does not have tight twisty mountain roads it would not be as much fun as a boxer.

Personally, I hope they keep the F650 around for a good while. It is an excellent bike. On the bright side if they cut the single I am sure the parallel twin would probably sound cool piped. :dunno
  8. Vesa

Vesa HappyHappy JoyJoy

Oddometer:
    Old news but at least from the horses mouth:

Latest News
    BMW and Aprilia agreement to bear fruit

BMW Motorrad director Herbert Diess talks about the new single cylinder bike and what the new, and still secret, BMW middle class has to offer.

DIE WELT: Mr Diess what does the production contract with Aprillia, which is so shrouded in mystery, contain?
    Herbert Diess: it means that a new motorbike will be produced there for which Aprilia has also taken on part of the development work. This is due to the fact that we are working at full capacity due to our product offensive which includes the new flat twin models, the new four-cylinder and the new middle class two-cylinder. Our development division has 400 people which is on a level of the Japanese competitors. It would have been very difficult for us to continue growing in this area. With this model we have discovered a market opportunity for a new BMW motorcycle segment and we saw no sense in building up all these capacities at our home base. And our experience with Aprilia has been very good in the past. There will be a single cylinder motorbike and the weight we're aiming for is 150 kilos. This BMW niche motorcycle could be on its wheels by the end of next year at the earliest.

DIE WELT: when will the new BMW middle class bikes be ready?
    Herbert Diess: we will begin next year with the first model. It will be a parallel twin with 800 cc, which we will build in two output versions - one with approximately 60 bhp and one with 80 bhp. Both are designed with powerful torque in mind. We will begin with the more powerful engine in a semi-clad sports bike to be followed by a tourer and later also by a naked model. The weight to the sports machines corresponds to that of the best competitors. All this will include an excellent suspension, belt drive and - what is more - the twin engine has something to offer with regard to engine construction which you won't find in the competitive environment. The bike will be priced below €10,000. BMW has developed the engine and it will be built by Rotax who then deliver it to Berlin. The new BMW middle class model range will be built entirely in the Berlin plant.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.za/bikes/news/display.asp?Id=364

Atleast the part about a semi-clad sports bike was precisely correct so...

Vesa
  9. 1fastduc

1fastduc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ditto. It doesn't have the interstate passing power of my Duc (nor would I expect it to given that it's down about 50 hp), but it's a lot of fun on the backroads when speeds are kept below 70.
  10. SScratch

SScratch Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with the last 3 posts. The 800 twin will be a belt drive street model. The F650 will be redesigned and much lighter, in the vein of the newer, lighter 1200GS, retaining the chain drive and dirt orientation.

Like Ostrich wrote, peak power is around 5k rpm (5200 I think). Maintaining this rpm the bike is a scream. At 6k, it's as smooth as silk.
  11. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note: Sports bike, followed by tourer, followed by naked. Doesn't sound like a GS version is very high priority to me.

- Mark
  12. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    There are still conflicting rumors floating around the net about what is going to happen. I guess we will have to wait and see. I doubt that this is an attempt to get people curious about the future bimmer line.
  13. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    Nope... no attempting at all. I am just curious... I am wondering what the
    market will deliver. Personally, I would love a 800cc twin GS, with real
    offroad capable suspension, and on-road commuting (120km per day),
    and "some touring around the alps" capable machine. If BMW did make
    a GS with that Rotax twin, I am sure it would be a hit.

Kev.
  14. Geeves

Geeves n00b

Oddometer:
  15. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    I needed the sarcasm smilie as I was referring to BMW trying to get a machine hyped up prior to its debut.
  16. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    after reading that release I wonder if they will ever build a boxer with a drive belt. :dunno
  17. roystr

roystr Adventurer

Oddometer:
  18. Ostrich

Ostrich Jaded and Happy

Oddometer:
    :nah It looks like an R1100S to me. :dunno I want to see the thing in person.... really bad.
  19. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A reasonably priced water-cooled twin making 60 - 80 hp would negatively impact 1200GS sales, I would think.

I'd like to see this new 330-lb. single though. What's that, 100 pounds lighter than the F650?
  20. Para504

Para504 Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer:
    true - it sounds like the F650 will probably remain as is. It seems like a nice platform - I wanded to like it, but for me I found the power just too muted. It would be awesome taking a Buell motor and putting it into the Dakar setup :-)

I know its heresy, but it would be a fun bike! Maybe I should just go get that KTM after all...