Looking to buy a GS 650?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lqgsrider, Jan 30, 2012.

1. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to buy a used GS 650 and I plan on using it at least 50% of the time off road. Are there some years better than others? Are there any model years which I should avoid?

What is a fair price for a 3-5 year old GS 650?
  2. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you looking for an F650GS or G650?? GH
  3. Casejeep

Casejeep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you plan on riding it 50% off road i would get the 800. it is geared to better off road riding.
  4. lqgsrider

Oddometer:
    What is the difference between the F650GS and the G650?
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    The first one's a twin, and the G is a single (among many other differences). You may want to do a little research on the BMW motorcycle site.
  6. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "If you plan on riding it 50% off road i would get the 800. it is geared to better off road riding"
    Yep it is. That's is why I bought the F650GS. My off road riding is dirt roads at sane speeds. The biggest difference between the two bikes is the front wheel. The 21" on the 800 is better for dirt and the 19" on the 650 is better on the street. Neither bike is an offroad bike. Bring on the flames!!! GH
  7. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    You forgot the 14HP difference between the motors, the increased ground clearance on the F800GS.

And I'm pretty sure you're 100% incorrect on the F800GS not being an offroad bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It sounds like you're sad that you didn't get the F800GS. "My off road riding is dirt roads at sane speeds." ... sane is a relative term and dirt roads are not "offroad" unless they're covered in mud, rocks, holes, etc. :evil
  8. GH41

GH41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "You forgot the 14HP difference between the motors, the increased ground clearance on the F800GS"
    The HP difference is above 5,000 rpm and the ground clearance amounts to an inch. I didn't buy into the my dick is bigger than yours mentality. I guess you did. Put up some pictures of you and your bike jumping a little bump in the road. GH
  9. Casejeep

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure no on gives a shit what size your junk is. Im pretty sure it is common knowledge the 800 is a better off road bike. but it also does very well on road.

BTW: i have attached a side car to my 800 because my junk is so huge! :clap
  10. TAMPAJIM

TAMPAJIM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Prior to 2008, the F650GS was a single . When the 800cc twins came out, one was called the F650GS and the thumper became the G650GS.

The marketing genius at BMW never told us the logic behind this or why a 800cc bike is designated as F650GS
  11. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    one thing I don't see called out here in all this noise is the F650gs has an 800cc engine, that is detuned from that used in the F800GS (and I think can run on regular fuel).

F650 single, a single-cylinder 650cc motorcycle produced from 2000 to 2007, reintroduced as the G650GS
    F650GS, a twin-cylinder 800cc motorcycle produced from 2007 to present day.

12. lqgsrider

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for something to ride on the street and dirt roads. I'm not planning on doing any serious off-roading with it.

Thanks for the input
  13. Casejeep

Oddometer:
    What is your budget? that is the deciding factor.
  14. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F800GS has to be superior off pavement due to 21in front hoop and about 1" more clearance plus better gearing (lower).

F650GS has to be better on pavement due to 19 in front tire and lower ground clearance plus somewhat higher gearing.

F800GS gives you tube tires. F650GS has tubeless tires.

F80GS uses premium fuel (higher compression). F650GS uses regular fuel.

Both could use suspension improvements to realize their potential.

I went with the F650GS and upgraded the suspension with intiminators up front and ricor IAS shock on the rear. Very happy with this bike. I put on a lot of commuting miles, weekend fun miles, and long trips including camping. My off pavement is limited to dirt roads mostly due to my low off pavement skills and my rather higher age. Off pavement this F650GS can do a lot more than I can.
  15. OrcasKen

OrcasKen Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like any of them would suit you fine. F650GS single was made through 2007 with a Rotax engine. 2005-2007 has a "dual spark" engine, though it is still a single cylinder. Starting in 2008, the same bike became a G650GS with a Chinese engine.

2009 (or was it late 2008?) saw the introduction of the twin (two cylinder) engine F-bikes. Both the 650 and 800 are the same core 800cc engine, but with several differences in tuning (many noted above). The 650 is optimized more for street and the 800 is optimized more for offroad. If you're not height-challenged, have the extra $$ and are interested in doing more than fire roads, the 800 is a great choice. If you'll never do more than fire roads, the 650 is just fine and saves you some money.

Spot on advice here. Here's some rough guidance, which will vary somewhat by location, condition, installed options, after-market accessories, etc:
    • <$5k - pre-2005 F650GS (single)
    • $4-7k - 2005-2007 F650GS (single)
    • $6-8k - 2008 to new G650GS (single)
    • $8-10k - 2009 to new F650GS (twin)
    • $10-13k - 2009 to new F800GS (twin)
    If you've got the budget for a newer one and are near a dealer, go ride all three of the models if you can. Each have a distinctive feel and fit. And check out the thumper forum for owners opinions for the single. Good luck in your search!
  16. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    trip to the dealership will take care of that.
    retune available for low octane on the 800
  17. betasigscoot

betasigscoot Palaverer

Oddometer:
    You can just put the F800's sprockets on the F658. I thought the gearing was the same for the transmissions :dunno

I ride my F658gs at a fairly spirited pace on gravel, but usually only go 25-40mph on 2track, depending on the sand (I've been practicing). It's pretty easy to bottom out the suspension, and the 21" wheel would add some stability; however, the 19" cast rim can sure take a beating.

I bought mine @ 1 year old for $7700 and less than 1500mi (w/ ABS, heated grips, etc). My friend just bought an '01 Dakar for $3500, with ~10000mi.
  18. señormoto

señormoto Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer:
    Your argument consists of facts of why the F800GS is better offroad (yes, it is true and you seem to know that as well), and then childish posturing that one's choice in motorcycles is a correlation of their genitalia size. Usually when those arguments get brought up it's because someone is trying to justify why they either:

1) couldn't afford the more expensive model
    2) can't hold their own offroad and thus are buying the less capable bike
    3) jealous of what other people have.

That's a great attitude for being on the site with such few posts. I'm sure you'll make a lot of friends here.

As for my offroad skill you can look at my avatar, which is me. Then you could go do some research and see that I have competed in a number of MRANN desert races, and I didn't even finish last! :lol3 I'm sure you're out there tearing it up all the time thought, right?
  19. betasigscoot

betasigscoot Palaverer

Oddometer:
    4) Wife balked at the price
  20. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You just have to ride all 3 bikes.

The twin F650GS is not simply a smaller tire and 14 fewer horsepower on top, it is a totally different behaving bike.

The G650 is a single cylinder, same as the OLD F650 and bares no resemblance. The old bike was made and designed my Aprilia, NOT BMW. After a time BMW started making it, or at least pulled production from Aprilia and farmed much of it out to China. Aprilia's design was good and continues to be good even though BMW took that design to China, but it's not at all the same as the F650 twin or 800.

All 3 bikes have their selling points. If I had all 3 in my garage (I have 1 at the moment) they would all get used as each is a pleasure in different conditions, but which is ideal for a particular owner depends on primary use.

for ME......

If I want to pop wheelies, shatter the headlight of the ass wipe tailgating me, be a general hooligan and ride beyond my skill level, i'd always take the F800GS. Deep water crossings, F800GS. Deep sand, F800GS. Mix of rutted dirt, mud and high speed pavement, F800GS

Truly ugly mud, hill climbs, shit where I'm not sure i'm up to it on uneven terrain and i'm tired or at least tired of one foot swinging in the breeze, G650GS. If I'm boulder crawling I HATE the F800GS and LOVE the G650GS's tractor like motor. The G sucks for high speed canyons, is moderately annoying on super slab, though much better then a KLR. It is also tougher and more reliable. Ground clearance is rarely a problem cause you can bash the lower side of the G650 as if you were on a skate board. Not so with the F800GS, it need's the extra ground clearance cause there is no frame beneath it no no place to affix a truly tough bash plate.

The F650 is mild mannered. This may seem bad to some, but in slippery conditions or when the ass end is south of the front on loose gravel you didn't see in a turn, it's great. The bike can hall ass in the twisties, but will take longer to get its ass hauling. It's an awesome commuter but won't get the looks when you park it at starbucks, assuming you like looks which I do. Believe it or not, the cast wheels on the F650GS twin are far stronger then the economy laced wheels of the F800GS. Easily solved on the 8 with $$$$.

Theres no where I couldn't ride an F650GS twin that an F800GS could make it to, there are places I couldn't ride it to as quickly, and I'd usually have more fun riding the F800GS there, but I like screwing around and riding beyond my means. There are many places I could make it to on a G650GS, or rather an Aprilia Pegaso 650 trail, which is what it really is, that I couldn't get an F800 without a full nights sleep mid trip from picking the bike up so often, but for my usual rides, I prefer to ride on less terrible shit and more dust and dirt so it's rarely the bike I would choose.

MY typical pick would be the 800 cause it makes me smile more. F650 twin if its mostly pavement but with the knowledge i'm not going to be left too far behind an 800 no matter the conditions. G650 if i'm boulder crawling and trying to get somewhere a 4wd would never ever make it.

YMMV