digital camera recommendations?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by momucka, Oct 23, 2005.

1. momucka

momucka aka dirtydualy350

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for a digital camera so I can start to put together some ride reports. I am a college student so I am on a really limited budget. I am looking to spend about 100 bucks. I want something that will be motorcycle friendly, you know small, durable, etc. I am new to the field of photography, so any advice / recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Momucka,

I use a 3.2mgpixel Pentax Optio 33WR, uses AA batteries (I use rechargeble NMHs) and a scandisk card. All very "standard" and flexible when on the road, and made by a camera/optics company rather than a computer company. I don't believe I've ever seen another using one, perhaps because miniaturized cameras are more popular. But what's cool is it is water resistant; you can get it wet. I toss it into my tankbag without worrying about it when riding in the rain. It cost $300 new from my local traditional camera store (now out of biz) two years ago, but it seems you can get them for $135 online, now.

If you want "ruggedized" for close to $100, I recommend it.

Fred
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the $100 price point, you're mostly looking at cameras for kids. I'd go used at this level.

- Mark
  4. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus zippety do dah

Oddometer:
    Not true.

I got a Nikon (can't remember model #, w/real 3x zoom, 3.2M, uses AA batteries (I use rechargeable), for $120 at CostCo 18 months ago. It's been all over the middle east, dropped, dusty, etc, and now does bike duty.

Works great for what it's designed--casual picture taking.
  5. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Canon SD series are great, pocket sized cameras. I have an SD200 (wife's camera) and SD400. Battery life is very good -- 350 pictures in five days, numerous "reviews" -- and I never used the my backup battery. Picture quality is OUTSTANDING.

Jim
  6. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Digital Camera this weekend. I picked up a Canon A520 for $189, and an Extra 256mb card as well. I had run a comparison from a web site on Digital Cameras, and for the money, It was not to bad a choice.
    4.0 mp, Auto this, Auto that,........I hope to try that Mo-Fo out this weekend in the N.C. mtns on a bike.

Boojum!
    :freaky
  7. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    What Boojum sez... the 510 is the little brother of the 520, 3MP but otherwise the same. 3MP is enough for great 5x7 and acceptable 8x10. These little cameras are excellent for the price. You can pick up a 510 at B+H or similar for ~140.

8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cheapest current Nikon digiicam I can find is about $200 mail-order.

I agree, at about the $150 price point, some decent options open up, but I'll let my recommendation stand: if you're going to spend $100, buy used.

- Mark
  9. momucka

Oddometer:
    I had this thought as well. I did an ebay search on digital cameras before I posted this thread, and the results were overwhelming (as I figured they would be). I am trying to get an idea of who makes a descent camera, and then I will be able to narrow my search and hopefully find one on ebay.
  10. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    excuse the spam, but I just listed this used in the fleamarket

Camera

Brian
  11. Ritten

Ritten Swamp thing

Oddometer:
    You might be able to find a Canon A40 pretty darn cheap. I picked mine up about 3 years ago when it was rated one of the best point and clicks you could get under $400. Now, if you can find one new or only slightly used it would probably be $100-$150.....if that. They're nearly indestructable cameras that take AMAZING pictures!!! I used mine for years and it wasn't until Canon recently came out with the S2 that I found a worthy replacement. I still use my A40 for hiking and really rough rides where I know my equipment will get shaken up.
  12. momucka

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys. I ordered up a pentax optio. I liked the durability of it, as I tend to be pretty tough on my equipment. Found one for about 120 bucks too! Thanks again for the input.
  13. ephemeris

ephemeris UYPL

Oddometer:
  14. RECON

RECON Git Sum

Oddometer:
    I've got the Canon SD series, works great and so small easy to carry with me on bike trips.
  15. BCM

BCM Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    I like Sony

Current camera is a DSC-U30, 2 megapixel, 'bought the size of a pack of chewing gum. It does not have a Zoom but that might be a good thing since the digital zooms just screw shit up most of the time anyway.I bought it new at Sears for $89 on a close out last year.

I also have a Sony DSC-S30, 1.3 megapixel, it's bigger and bulkier but has a neat rotating screen. It's really nice for taking close-up shots of bike parts and stuff. It was about $300 5 years ago :huh

Most of my pics on Smugmug were taken with these two cameras

Some of my friends and family have higher megapixel and more expensive cameras from Canon, Pentax and Olympus that just take crappy looking pics compared to the Sony's
  17. mitchxout

mitchxout Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Sony 3.2 is 2 years old and still going strong. I've traveled with it on the bike and it's pretty rugged. 2 AA rechargeables makes it easy to deal with as well. Good luck.
  18. LaNgLy

LaNgLy suck squeeze bang blow

Oddometer:
    I have it on good authority, that there is a gently used Nikon Coolpix at
    N35 42.807 W93 32.487 only dropped once.
  19. Leon H

Leon H BMW Prima Donna

Oddometer:
    I dig these cameras, they are very small (fits in pocket), very tough (aluminium body), with a load of features and they take a good picture. Also only a second or so between turning on the camera and being able to take a photo. I have an IXUS 40, but I went to the shop the other day and they have the IXUS 55 (5.5 meg), which looks to be smaller, lighter, better etc. My IXUS also has a macro feature and can do action shots. All software and everything else included in the price. I treat my camera very, very poorly and it is still taking great shots.