ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Joevano OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I'll move on. Don't appreciate being yelled at.
Joevano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevano View Post
I'll move on. Don't appreciate being yelled at.
Sorry, I am trying to help you see Tracks and me learn about Montana at same time as I have to alwo help customers see Tracks at my Dual Sport rides.

I just can't tell from your answers what you are really doing.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #18
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I do similar to Dr Rock, but I use GPX2IMG instead of the tool he pointed to. And rather than distributing my ride map via email to fellow riders, I hand out microSD cards with my map and R&R map already loaded on it. When the ride is over, I get the microSD cards back. This way I have better control over the distribution of my map.
Wow giving cards would work great for high $ ride for small numbers where you make sure you get cards back. For something like LA-B-V downloading maps would work but there is a color issue. Many (some) people need to change colors of tracks to see them. Also I have a bunch of customers that for some strange non-logical reason just refuse to turn Easy Way tracks on. I tell them they help knowing where you are on the event, you may need them if you have trouble but they just don't want them.

Also still have people walking up with III+ and Vs.

For most of my rides, the only way maps would work is to have at lest two each day. The rides are three days with start and finish of each day at same place. I guess if you can draw direction arrows on maps, you could have one each day. Trade off is switching a few maps vs turning On/Off a bunch of tracks?

Scott, I want you to know that I found out how to go from MapSource to GE then draw a track (object) on a trail I can see at Lookout City, then export it, then convert it to .gpx on some other web site, then add it to my file of all trails at Lookout City! Don't know if I can ever do it again but I did it once.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #19
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Scott, I want you to know that I found out how to go from MapSource to GE then draw a track (object) on a trail I can see at Lookout City, then export it, then convert it to .gpx on some other web site, then add it to my file of all trails at Lookout City! Don't know if I can ever do it again but I did it once.
Wow, never thought I would hear that. I guess I'm obsolete now!
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #20
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Do you think a Map image of a track will be able to be uploaded and seen on and Old 2910? Just asking but need to try this on my NUVI 500. That will help. Glad I found this thread. Learning why a Montana may be worth the extra$.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,738
Exported a track to a GPX file. Then dragged it into IMGfromGPX. When I created a map I got the file imgfromgpx.osm. When I run the program I get 'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Little help. Maybe I have an old version of java?

Found the fix -- If you are getting that error, it means that eitherJava is not installed, or is not in your path.
If Java is not installed, go to http://www.java.com to install the most recent version of the JRE.
If you're sure you have already installed Java ensure the Java executable is in your system's path. You can do this by first finding the directory it is installed in. For example, mine is installed in C:\Program Files\Java\jre6. The executables are located in the bin directory.
In order to set your path (Assuming Windows Vista), go to Start -> Control Panel -> System, then click on the 'Advanced System Settings' link on the left, then the 'Environment Variables' button. In the lower section (Labeled 'System Variables'), scroll through and find the item labeled 'Path' and double click it. In the field labeled 'Variable value' go to the end and add a semicolon (;), and then the path your installation of Java is located. Using the example I gave above, I would have added ;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin to the end of the line.

Wee Strommin along.

biker128pedal screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 04:21 PM
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #22
leftystrat62
Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritwalker2222 View Post
Too combine 2 or more tracks in basecamp select them in the order you want the track to go in. Then right click on one of them and select "advanced options" and then "join tracks". It'll show the order you've selected and you can change it if you want or just select OK.

If you haven't joined the ends to the beginnings you'll get a long track connecting them.
QUOTE=Countdown;18482145]1,000 times simplier in Mapsource. It is far more complicated than what you state.

QUOTE]

I do it like Spiritwalker says-and it's just that easy for me
leftystrat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 337
doc - problems with java

The converter suggested by doc runs requires java. I'm not a whiz with these things, but I just disabled java b/c of security warnings. Any thoughts here?
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,537
http://www.gpx2img.com/
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 337
java issues

currently using base camp in a mac lion

do i need to get yet another piece of software?

I feel like I'm just getting used to basecamp. Actually, I like drawing maps on google maps.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #26
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Upgrade java

security issues addressed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=java...ient=firefox-a
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #27
Taoshum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Hey Jerry!

Here I disagree. For an organized ride:
As the leader I'd create my route at home on Basecamp using the routing tool and whatever maps and routng algorithm suited me. Of course the concern distrubuting routes is that they will recalculate differently on different model units. Regardless, using the "rubber banding" technique (like on GoogleMaps), the Basecamp routing tool on a computer is the most efficient way of creating a route, and I'd make sure the route was precisely how I wanted it to run. I'd create waypoints for the points of interest: gas stops, scenic locations, campsites, etc along the way.

Then, (and this is KEY), I'd convert the route to a track within Basecamp. Export the track + waypoints as a single .GPX file. Load the .GPX file into the imgtoGPX program. It creates a .gmapp file I'd name, say "M9.gmapp". Distribute said file to other riders.

They either load it onto their computer to be compiled using Mapinstall (Mac). To get this map properly placed on a PC so that Mapsource can use it and upload it with the other compiled maps to your GPS, it seems best to use the same crazy dane's program called GMTK, available here: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

Either way, the riders will create the gmapsupp.img that they will load onto their gps units for this ride, (for units that support only a single compiled map image on the handheld (60/76csx series), or load the M9.gmapp directly onto their unit's memory for those that support multiple concurrent map images. (montana, etc).

Now, all riders have a bullet-proof immutable track of the route I've created. As long as they have the M9 map selected to show, they can be running whatever other maps they want -- City Navigator 1808.4, Bicimaps Baja, Bluewater charts. All they'll have to do to ride my M9 route is to follow the green line. (I made the track green, and have tracking set to red). If you want to get really fancy, you can set Proximity alarms for the waypoints (now true POI's) to alert riders to nearby gas stops or photo ops.

Granted, this can't be done at the trailhead, but most gps users know how to load maps onto their unit. I've done this for M9 (not the POI part), and it worked beautifully.

That's a >20,000 point, 2400mi track that loops counterclockwise from Idaho Falls across ID, OR, CA, NV, UT, and part of WY back up to ID, which was combined on Basecamp from 8 separate routes. No way it would fit onto a 60/76 series unit at that resolution... it'd have to be split up and filtered into 20x500 point pieces -- that's a lot of straight lines through curves, and maxes out the track capacity, no room for anything else. Using this technique, the number of tracks that can be viewed is limited only by the SD card memory (that's where maps are stored). The above gmapp file is 234kb. Tiny.

For the original poster's query, I'd assumed that the purpose was to be able to view multiple tracks for an area as options of where to ride, not to distribute an organized route. There's no reason different sets of tracks couldn't be assembled into different lists for different purposes. You could have a map of tracks of an off-road riding area, another map of tracks that are interesting ways of riding home from work on backroads. They could each be activated individually.

I've only recently discovered this, and as you can probably tell, I'm pretty enthused. From now on, this will be my primary way of distributing an organized ride. I'll still send out a .gpx file of the waypoints and routes, but I know the .gmapp track map will work on every garmin ever made and look the same.

Are you running Win7/64 bit? Would this OS be compatible with the Img from GPX software? thanks.
Taoshum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #28
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
Hey Jerry!
Here I disagree. For an organized ride:
As the leader I'd create my route at home on Basecamp using the routing tool and whatever maps and routng algorithm suited me. Of course the concern distrubuting routes is that they will recalculate differently on different model units.

Granted, this can't be done at the trailhead, but most gps users know how to load maps onto their unit. I've done this for M9 (not the POI part), and it worked beautifully.
On first point, you seem to be talking about creating a ride for some friends. I mostly deal with commercial events. Just "Planning" a ride don't cut it. Promoter must plan a route then go out and ride it and record active log GPS tracks and hand write a roll chart. Then come home type roll chart into computer, then print roll chart, then go back and reride route and check printed roll chart. Roll charts and GPS tracks are handed out after customer signs liability release in front of me.

I do do invitational rides but I always go out and ride every possible road & trail recording active log for all. Then come home and plan the ride based on the best stuff and cut and paste active logs into the desired ride. Then e-mail tracks to friends and also have lap top at the start, no roll charts for these rides.

I don't know what population you are working with, but at California Dual Sport rides, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who could down load a map to their GPS. They are having a good day just to follow tracks promoter has downloaded to their GPS for them.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #29
DR. Rock
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoshum View Post
Are you running Win7/64 bit? Would this OS be compatible with the Img from GPX software? thanks.
Mac, latest version. I don't know about windows. Check the developer's web page. I believe it's available for windows and lists the system requirements.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 03:18 PM
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote