Battle with My Riva 125

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by hayasakiman, May 16, 2012.

1. gizmo309

gizmo309 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

WoW!! Way above and beyond in the help dept!! Thank you for taking the time and effort to post the pix and instructions. I plan on doing the tires this week. I also want to clean/check the carb while I'm in there. I have a new plug so I'll install that too. I do want to check the valves too but I might wait until the weather turns to get into that job.

Thanks again. I'll be active on this post and over on rivariders. Everytime I get back from riding this scoot I have a smile on my face. I'm so happy I finally found one. Mine is also silky white. It has a few MINOR nicks that I plan on taking care of. Over the winter I might mess with this scoot to make it into "restored" condition. It's not too far away now. I'm only the third owner. The first one had it a year and the second 17 years. I've had it five weeks....

Thanks again!!!!

Bob
  2. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    Got the tires installed. Not too bad to do. I did take my time because I cleaned everything really good. I polished the wheels, wiped down the frame, really gave everything a good cleaning. I changed the spark plug and spray cleaned the carb. The air filter fell apart as soon as I touched it. I ordered a new one from my local dealer. I'm going to leave the side covers off until the new air filter comes in. I'm going to spray clean the carb a few more times. The petcock is not leaking and looks new. It might have been replaced. The inside of the tank looks new too. I think I have some gunk in the bottom of the carb bowl. I asked the mechanic at the shop that installed the tires onto the rims what might cause the drop of gas that drips out of the carb bowl vent tube after it sits. He said most likely there is gunk in there. He said to pop off the tube and spray some carb cleaner in there. He said I might get lucky and not have to remove the carb and give it a proper cleaning. I'm going to try that route first. Thanks for all the help here.

Bob
  3. hayasakiman

hayasakiman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. I am pleased that my post had served you well. :D
  4. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    Picked up the new air filter today- 42 mile round trip on my Reflex. I installed it and took it for a little 10 mile ride. The scooter is running nearly perfect. Starts right up, idles down to somewhere near normal, and runs great. Tons of power for a 125. Tomorrow the body goes back on. I do need to adjust the handlebars. They are a little crooked to the right. Once that is done I'll somehow re-install the factory top cas and she's ready for some fall riding. I'm amazed at how well engineered this scooter is. I was designed in the early '80's. New scoots should have bodies that come off this easy, handlebar adjustment trap doors, EASY to accomplish valve adjustments, etc. etc. etc.

Bob
  5. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    Nice that you have yours running that well.:thumb

I need to do valve adjustment on mine soon. I am start to noticing some ticking sound from exhaust side, using stethoscope.
  6. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    I didn't set my valves this time around. I didn't want to wait any longer to put it back together. Fully expecting -with my luck - that it would run like shit AFTER it the body panels were back on. It didn't! Runs better every time I take it out. Stopped dripping out of the vent tube too. Question to anyone that has done it- how do you turn the motor to line up the lines to check the valves?

Bob
  7. rowdyc

rowdyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can turn the motor by taking CVT cover off and turn varactor nut.
  8. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    I turn the crank using a nut on the crankshaft.

[​IMG]

I think it was 19mm socket and universal joint that did the trick.
    You can get TDC on compression by removing the spark plug and stick finger to feel compression as you turn the crank. You can use screw stick to fine tune to be on exact TDC if you want.
  9. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip. I plan on checking the valves after riding season is over. We took it on it's longest ride since we've had it (probably since it's been built!) 64 mile round trip out into the country for lunch. My wife rode it the whole time. She loves the power it has compared to her Metropolitan. Cruised at 45-50 for a couple of stretches. It ran great.The Pirellis stick like glue. I really like those tires. Hope they last.... Checked the gas mileage for the first time- 87.67 mpg. Can't beat that. I re-mounted the top case (correctly). The second owner had the factory top case installed at the dealer. They had it on wrong. Now it's level and secure. Tomorrow I plan on changing the hub oil. I bought a nice syringe to help with the job. Love having a "vintage" scooter.

Bob
    dr_rock likes this.
  10. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    That is a great mileage you are getting. To be honest, I have not had calculated my gas mileage since I got my scoot. I usually ride the scoot for commute to work. Each leg is about 35-38 miles, not for sure, 100%. I do two round trips before filling up from a 5 gallon jug, which is use the gas for pressure washer and others.
    Anyways, I'm thinking that I fill about 2 gallons each time for possibly 140 miles of riding, which makes about 70 miles per gallon with 165lbs arse.
    I'm pretty happy with this. :D
  11. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    I think you're doing better than you think- the tank only holds 1.8 gallons. If you ran it dry you'd still be getting 77.78 mpg. 140 divided by 1.8. I fill it to the bottom of the bar in the tank each time. You're probably in the same area as we are gas mileage wise.

bob
  12. cheap bastard

cheap bastard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel consumption with my Riva has been 75-85 mpg depending on how much use in town. A 150 mile trip through the countryside with only a few stop signs resulted in 100 plus mpg while moving along at extended runs of 55mph. The trip was mostly through hilly Rock and Green counties in Wisconsin. The tyre pressures were in the 39psi range. Fuel was 93 octane and the bike has a wind screen. There were Riva power cutting events as there always are if it gets run over 55mph for long runs.
  13. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    You were right about my MPG. I had done a calculation the other day. I am getting about 84 MPG on my commute, it seems, mostly 45 to 50 MPH on one leg and 40 to 45 on the other leg.

Service manual calls for 21 psi and 28 psi for up to 198 lbs. 43 on back if you are loading between 198 to 370 lbs.
    I had tires inflated up to 44 psi (front and back) from a bike shop where a tech done my tire change. It made the scoot so unstable, made me scared.

I think if you change your vac operated petcock to manual petcock, you'll eliminate that power loss issue. I had the same issue till I did the change over on mine.
  14. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    Got a chance to check out the Pirelli's grip in rain on Saturday:cry. We were out for a nice ride and stopped to have lunch. Our waitress said - "Well that rain they were calling for looks like it made it"- Oh, oh. My wife never rode in rain and my experiences are limited. When we left the restaurant it was sprinkling, by time we got close to home it was a monsoon. We had to pull over under a train over-pass until it slowed down. The Riva stuck like glue (as did my ancient Piaggio BV200) and both ran perfectly. It was actually a fun experience. Spent the rest of the afternoon in the garage cleaning them and having a "few" beers. Just another part of the fun of riding/owning scooters!

Bob
  15. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    Two thumbs up :thumb:thumb for Pirellis.

You must be keeping your rides spit shine. Another thumbs up. :thumb:thumb

Now, can I bring mine to you? lol
  16. gizmo309

Oddometer:

Bring it on over. I just bought a six of IPA and the sun is out! I took the bad boy to the store today after work and loaded up the top case with grill fixens. Enjoying this weather while we can!

Bob
  17. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    Got the ole Riva out of hibernation. It took about 10 tries to get it started the first time after sitting for 5 months. I took it out for a spin for the second time today. Runs like it was just made. I am so impressed how this scoot runs for a 20 year old 125. Had a blast zipping around the park this afternoon. 40 mph winds were hardly pushing me around. Hitting them head on was another story- wow. Gonna burn through the old gas and it will be ready for Summer. I already burned through a tank in my Piaggio- it will be ready after some much needed maintenance.

Bob
  18. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    Nice!!

I've put on about 2200miles since rear tire change to Kenda K329.
    It seems like I can go for another 2000miles from the meat it still has.
    Did couples of oil changes, too.
    And, cleaned the air filter.
    Other than these, my 125 is maintenance free. :clap

Here in SoFL there's no hibernation on two wheelers.
  19. gizmo309

Oddometer:
    This was the longest hibernation ever for me with the two wheelers. 5 Months! My Piaggio which also has a carb fired right up just like is if it had fuel injection. Amazing scoot. My wife's Met was a total pain in the ass to get going. I had to use starting fluid on it. My Reflex started after about 5 tries. It is up for sale so I haven't ridden it at all. I get more thumbs up when I'm on the Riva than any of the others. I always come back with a dumb smile on my face when I take the Riva out. I need to get a bottle of touch up paint for a few SMALL nicks that it has. ColorRite wants 8 zillion dollars for a "system"- I just want a $6.00 bottle of paint..... Search to continue.

Bob
  20. hayasakiman

Oddometer:
    It's been a long while since I posted on this forum. The Riva was parked since it made quite a laud grinding noise to halt two years ago.

I've decided to ride it again this year.

[​IMG]
    The noise was this cooling fan rubbing with left side engine case. The nut had decided to come loose despite of having the lock washer. This lock washer was not installed properly and not locking the nut in place.

[​IMG]
    The part inside red circle is starter clutch. On the same shaft that fan assembly is installed.

[​IMG]
    New fan assembly and other parts were delivered from a Yamaha parts dealer.

[​IMG]
    YamaLube grease was supposed be used here. Substituted with whatever I had.

[​IMG]
    Put all back together.

[​IMG]
    Carburetor was disassembled and cleaned. New parts were installed.

[​IMG]
    Float level is adjusted.

[​IMG]
    Put all back together.

[​IMG]
    Fresh battery from a local bike shop.

Above work in April 2016 @20748.6 miles on the gauge.
    The Virginian and aguim like this.