The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Has anybody heard of the buttons malfunctioning? (apparently "like the K1600")
    Heard this from exactly one source in Greece...
  2. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
  3. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    It looks like shipments are hitting the US showrooms. I picked up my bike today, and an identical twin was being delivered today as well.

I put on a quick couple hundred miles. First impressions:

Transmission/shifting is very smooth. Yes, there is a clunk into first, but I've always had wet clutches so it seems normal to me. Very smooth through the gears. Neutral is a little tricky to find but its just a matter of training my toe. Better to be to hard to find neutral than too easy.

The kickstand peg interfered with my foot at first, and made it hard to find the shifter. By the time the day was done I hardly knew it was there. For me at least it seemed like my foot learned where to be and the "peg" became a non-issue (but it was irritating at first).

The switches do feel on the cheap side. I didn't have any real issues with location (and I have the GPS prep ring), but they aren't confidence inspiring.

The windshield puts the airstream right below my shoulders on low, and the top of my helmet on high. On low the rush of air is loud, but its a refreshing blast of air to cool off. I'm 6 feet even, short legs long torso.

I did a ten mile stretch on the interstate (just because). I'm coming from a sport-tourer with full fairing and panniers/top box. Highway riding was miserable on that bike -- the buffeting was violent. In my short run today the only material buffeting I had was on my body, not the bike. Compared to the previous bike and its huge profile, night and day different.

The ride was gloriously smooth at speed. Really surprisingly smooth. I hit a couple sharp frost heaves at lower speed (< 30mph) that gave my back a hit, but at speed the bike was just beautiful. No instability. I didn't do any standing 45 mph runs over washboard, but I felt no instability at any speed.

And finally the engine -- amazing amazing amazing. I was doing rollon passes in sixth that surprised me the way the bike added speed. It didn't take long to get a grip on the throttle sensitivity and by the end of the day I was driving in town without giving it a second thought. But give a sharp twist and the response makes you giggle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You're not helping to dispel negative stereotypes. :rofl
  5. Crilly

Crilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    :norton You have to twist the throttle pretty hard (closed) to desengage the cruise control.
  6. madefrtv

madefrtv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    its purposeful, but not hard. you have to want to shut the cruise off.
  7. maximo de la maximus

maximo de la maximus Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer:
    My bad- I was referencing the luggage plate which goes in place of the rear seat if you choose not to have a pilion and want a flat rear deck. Check it out here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/pdf/motorrad-r-1200-gs-accessories.pdf

On my 05 I had the plate to attach a top box instead of the rear seat...hope this option becomes available for the 13 as it was handy for the top box but also other luggage configs (i.e. bike rack, clip in duffle, etc.)
  8. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You still get that quick deceleration though. I find it's smoothest to match the throttle with the rpm and give the front brake lever a very light tap. The cruise disengages seamlessly.
  9. At adventure

At adventure AB

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 1100km weekend two up on the new LC -

Heaps less buffeting two up than on my 2010 OC GS. I think the flow through screen does this.

The two up suspension setting is very high. Probably comparable to the old big mountain setting. I need to be careful I am on level ground before my cheese and kisses dismounts. Very nice riding height though, especially on the dirt.

My wife thought the pillion seat was much more comfortable than the OC. I think the same of the riders seat.

Rode a fair few dirt road fire trails. The engine mapping and suspension adjustments on Enduro are perfect. The wider tyres feel more sure footed than the OC.

Fuel economy is about the same as the old bike (5.4l per 100km) but i probably rode a bit harder so I am happy with that. Still to put the panniers on (which arrived the day I left) so this might have an impact.

I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km. He has had a few other clients with a similar complaint about the perrelli scorpions (on the OC) and said it may iron out after about 5000km. I will see! Vibe still there but really only noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line.

Great bike and I had lots positive comments from the riders of the seven other OC GS riders I rode with. Just clocked over 3000km.
  10. PeterGSA

PeterGSA NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer:
    'I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km. He has had a few other clients with a similar complaint about the perrelli scorpions (on the OC) and said it may iron out after about 5000km. I will see! Vibe still there but really only noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line.'

Interesting to see this. I went on a 600km ride today and noticed the same thing, I thought it was just me, so glad to see your comment.
    Did you get your bike in NSW?
    I'd like to speak to the dealer if so.
  11. At adventure

At adventure AB

Oddometer:
    Yes Procycles Hornsby. The vibration only started after about 1500km. They (Anthony) said they would ask BMW to replace the tyre if I was not happy but are concerned that I might experience the same problem with a new tyre. I am trying not to be anal so will see how it goes after about 5k.
  12. At adventure

At adventure AB

Oddometer:
    I noticed you have sold a Multistrata for a LC. How do they compare? Cheers AB
  13. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Are their any balance weights on the front wheel?
  14. Bails

Bails Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am also a Multi Strada owner surfing between the LC and the new KTM. Was very surprised how well the LC performed compared to the old BM motor, used to have an RT as well up untill a few months back. Now I'm thinking of trading the Multi on one of these bikes but just can't seem to make up my mind. Hoping the right choice will sort of come to me. Have owned BM's for ages but like to try different bikes for the experience.
  15. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Edit: Misread what he asked. :D
  16. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Back on ignore. :fpalm
  17. SGswish

SGswish n00b

Oddometer:
    I too, sold my multi for the new LC. Before the multi, i had two 1200GSes and the new LC motor is buttery smooth. A great improvement over the old GS. I like that the multi for it's brash, punch character but in my opinion it was a little unrefined. surgy motor and lower seating position mean that it wasnt as comfortable for me. The new seat adjustment features on the new LC is fantastic and i aint complaining about the differences in power since the LC has plenty to keep me happy, even though i just got off a multi.

18. The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy Gettin' by

Oddometer:
    FNG here...1st post on this great site.
    Anyway, Yesterday I rode my DL100 down to the local dealer. I hopped on a new 2013 WC and was thoroughly impressed.

A friend has a 2011 GSA, so I was expecting a same, but different feel to the motor. Uhh, no! The throttle response and clutch are wayyy different and better on the WC in my opinion.

I was so impressed that I pulled the trigger on one of the 7 they have in stock. I've been looking for a replacement for the Vstrom for awhile anyway. The only thing I may miss on that bike is the simplicity.

I'm 5'9, 32" inseam. This bike feels like it was made for me.

I have one question for those in the know. The bike I selected does not have the LED headlight. There is another one in stock, same equipment, except it has the LED lighting and a stainless exhaust (vs chrome on the other). $800 seams like a lot for a light.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Great site, I lurked a lot when I had the Strom.
  19. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is one of the standard packages it also include the tire pressure monitor. As for worth... that's up to you. I don't ride enough in the dark to care. When I do get stuck riding at night I slow down. Changing a bulb once a year doesn't upset me all that much, either. On the other hand I've already ordered a light bar so I can mount my fog lights for daylight conspicuity.

What's important to you?
  20. The Last Cowboy

The Last Cowboy Gettin' by

Oddometer:
    I just want to see the road at night very well. I ride home in the dark quite often. The deer here are numerous, but small. An impact, even a small one, will ruin your ride though.

The lights on my Vstrom are among the best I've ever had. I would like to have at least that same degree of output from the Halogen unit on the GS. If the LED is light years ahead, it would be worth the bump to me. If not, I'll just get some axillary driving lights.

TPMS matters not to me.