Carlton Complex Fire

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by 81forest, Jul 19, 2014.

1. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
    That was a heck of a storm, we got hit with it here as well. My power was out for a few hours. Gotta hike the property and see how many trees I lost.

I hope the rains were enough to smother the fires. If that area got the storms we did, it should have. Sheets of water running off the roads and parking lots.
  2. svizzerams

svizzerams Rx Rangerette

Oddometer:
    Flash floods in Entiat area yesterday....but the rains have cleared the smoke out of the skies, at least over Chelan.
  3. michaelyogi

michaelyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all, managing to get onto the internet finally. Last week was a doozy. Craziest fire stories and fire behavior. Really a scary event. The fire made three runs at our house over the course of three days, all from different directions. The we got two days of respite, even the firefighters in our area said it looked good around our house. Then at the end of the second day a little hot spot in the bottom of Texas Creek spotted across the line... from the time I spotted the smoke 2 miles below us we had 30-45 minutes to get out and we barely made it. We evac'd to Carlton and watched as she blew up.
    I can't relay the feeling you have as you watch this happen, mostly there is a profound numbness that occurs.
    I lost the Husky. I moved it back thinking we were ok and fuel would be a concern. I could use the bike for little errands and scouting the fire lines. It was after all, every family for themselves... When the communications go you only have yourself and your family who know what your doing.
    We are insured and will land on our feet. There are people in much worse situations than I. Those are the folks who need help.
    Word has... don't send stuff. We got plenty of stuff and we can't put it anywhere. Cash is essential now. We don't need it but there are those who do.
    [​IMG]
    Home smokin' home. I'l build here next summer... looking forward to it. I gotz skillz, lotz uh'em...
    Thx for the concern. Braaaap!
  4. kwisn

kwisn One Happy Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    MY, hang in there mang! Great attitude, thanks for sharing it with us.
    My condolences on your losses, my admiration for your 'tude. :bow
  5. ADVwnbe

ADVwnbe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yogi as a long time friend, mentor, ski and riding buddy I can't wait to help you rebuild. Your attitude man is so great, keep it up!:clap
  6. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Yogi,
    Sorry for the losses. Keep your chin up. You will get back in the saddle soon. The bike fared better than the boat.:eek1
  7. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    As the others said, good attitude. It has to be so hard being in the position of losing your home and watching your neighbors and friends lose theirs.

I'm thoughts go out to everyone over there looking at having to start over.
  8. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    My fellow PNWers: I am scheduled to depart Vancouver, BC on Sunday morning, destined for Wyoming. My route is I5 south, I90 east to Ellensburg and hook up with 12 through to Clarkston and on to Lolo.

I've been monitoring the fire situation and just wanted to ask here for any advisories or suggestions. I live somewhere there aren't really any forest fires (in my day to day life) and have little experience riding through them
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:

as of right now... I think you are clear... there is nothing East of Clarkston on Hwy 12... we got rain the other day so that helped cool things down...
  10. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  11. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    michaelyogi, main thing is you and your family all got out. Stuff can be replaced.

Let us know if you need any help. Maybe an ADV rally and homebuilding party next spring?

1911fan
  12. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you made it out unharmed with your family, Hope that you can rebuild soon!
  13. svizzerams

svizzerams Rx Rangerette

Oddometer:
    Neighborhood in Pateros

[​IMG]

"Local" checking things out....there is a bunch of chicks running for cover.

[​IMG]

Barely a week out - mother nature commences to repair the damage....

[​IMG]
  14. michaelyogi

Oddometer:
    Mother Earth is repairing the damage. Growth on our place also. We start clean up, restoration and infrastructure repair as soon as this week. Life goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. michaelyogi

Oddometer:
    So we are presently moving into a place. We got all our animals and us in one place til next spring. I plan on taking the Husky to Tasky's so they can look it over and assess the damage. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  16. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    Very sorry to hear about the loss of your home, but sounds like you have a great attitude about it all. Truly admirable! :clap

I have heard news from a couple of other friends who lost everything, one in particular that was renting a place up Loup Loup pass and just barely had time to get his family in the car when the fire came. Lost every item that they weren't carrying when they got in the car, and as renters I don't think they were insured. :cry

Hope that Husky fire victim survives to roost another day.
  17. michaelyogi

Oddometer:
    So many stories just like this. The fire was everywhere... you just never knew where it was... and then it was just there... and pissed! So you ran... when fire fighters run, you should un-ass the AO with them... Sometimes they never even got a chance to get in to warn folks... or just didn't have enough people to warn folks.
    The last time it came at us, we had no warning. Well, we had smoke and flames to warn us...
  18. svizzerams

svizzerams Rx Rangerette

Oddometer:
    I rode through Brewster Flat on Sun...moonscape :-( But what I found in Pateros was pretty awesome: Team Rubicon is here!!! This is an organization that engages veterans to respond to disasters to provide help with recovery efforts. I am familiar with them from an aid project I worked with in Burma four years ago where a team was deployed to train medics surgical skills in a conflict zone. They will assist anyone but will prioritize veterans. They are there to help especially with site rehab (removal of debris etc). If you need this kind of assistance Michaelyogi - you might contact them in Pateros. Can't miss the trailer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. guns_equal_freedom

guns_equal_freedom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike before the house.
    Priorities! :lol3
  20. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Still seems like a good idea. I'm ok at plumbing, can hang drywall, lay carpet, and do rough carpentry. Got a bunch of tools and a truck, and I figured within the PNW community there are a lot of people with equal or better skills. Think of a barnraising, but modernized.
    We'll get a Portapotty or two, everybody bring your own barbecue and ice chest, and we'll work all day and then tell lies around the campfire all night.
    Labor Day weekend?

1911fan

PS: michaelyogi, this is really up to you.