Tires: Dunlop versus Michelin

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Bronco638, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I know, it's like starting another oil thread........:wink:

I'll need some new tires for my Climber. While I would love to put a new set of Michelins on, I'm having a hard time coming to grips :lol3 with the cost; ~$275. I can get a set of D803 Dunlops from Rocky Mtn ATV for ~$155.

Any feedback on that decision?

TIA.
  2. 2feetdown

2feetdown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the dunlops will last twice as long and wont have as many flats unless you are doing some serious competing and with a 93 climber my two cents is dunlop
  3. 2feetdown

2feetdown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ive got 2 or three mich lite rears new bike takeoffs if anybody is interested
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents worth...

My 4RT has Dunlops my wifes Gas Gas 125 has Michelin's I find performance almost the same for an amateur to intermediate level rider.

On that note... Save some $ is what I will be doing when I replace my wife's or mine again. I might reconsider if I get to The advanced class.

Hope that helps. :freaky
  5. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    It's an old bike with a new rider. Tires don't matter, other than to have something that's not 10 years old on. If you can score some slightly used whatever for cheap go for it. I buy Dunlops, use Michelins if they come with the bike. Don't forget IRC, but I would not buy the Pirelli trials tire...great for an enduro bike, not so great as a real trials tire.
  6. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunlops keep a bead, Michelin don`t. I ran Michelins until the tubeless came along. Run those Pirelli`s till you learn to ride it or it breaks. My vintage Fantic that I plan on winning with this weekend has about an eighteen year old tire on it. Will not make a difference if your weight and throttle is correct. Proper technique is what trials is all about.:rofl
  7. SherpaT

SherpaT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I mostly agree with the previous posts. I run the cheaper Dunlop D803's on my vintage bikes, and I'm perfectly happy with them. But I run Michelins on my modern bike, and I'm perfectly happy with them too. :lol3 Since trials is mostly mental, I say buy whichever makes you feel the best, and don't look back.
  8. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with my IRC's. I think starting out the condition of the tire (new) is probably way more important than the type. :ear
  9. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    It`s time for a new rear on my son`s bike. Ever since the D803 came out, I quit buying Irc`s. But as you said, new is new! Gonna make Roswell Larry?:evil
  10. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the thoughts/replies.
    PM Sent.
    I had not forgotten about IRC but I wasn't sure if they were worth the time/consideration. I did have IRC Trials Winners on my '86 Reflex but that was quite a while ago. It doesn't look like I'm going to make it out to Pearl City this weekend. So, I figured I could discard the ancient Michelin (rear) and get something new for next season.
    Yeah, I know it's more about me than the equipment. And, I know that even though the Climber has a Dunlop(front) with a Michelin(rear), that's of no real consequence. Perhaps I'll see what the IRC tires run. At any rate, it looks like they won't be needed until March of next year.
  11. BEEF706

BEEF706 King of the dumb dab

Oddometer:
    Roswell i looking bleak, I promised I would work at the hockey shop on Sat, and my honeydo's built up during fiesta. I need to simplify my life :D
  12. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    And, Dunlop wins the price war! The IRC tires are about $25 more, per set.
  13. goatrain

goatrain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If money was no object, I would go for the mich. I know the Dunlop performed well as I had one on my 300 ktm. I did notice the knobs were looking like they were going to crack off, but honestly never saw any adverse affects in performance. Besides that, one of my clubs champs just bought one for his bike, so they can't be all that bad!
  14. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just put a new Michelin X 11 on the back of my 4RT. The Dunlop that the po had installed tore some knobs[or what ever you call them on a trials tire] almost off. I am not good enough to tell the difference no how.

Also I don't like having different brands on a bike.:D
  15. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I seem to be in the minority in our club about this, but I love the IRC's especially for mostly rock terrain. They seem to have a firmer sidewall than the Dunlop and definitely the Michelin and can run lower pressures on rock without damaging rims or pinch flats in the front. And they last well. YRMV.
  16. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    I can not give info about Dunnlops i have had no dealings with them for years.
    The Mitch X11 is a good tyre still have one on a sherco, i did try a Xlite on my beta rev 3 but had it split in no time just too thin in my view.
    I went for an IRC and i will say it grips very well off wet rock and i do like these tyres and will buy more in the future.
    They are a stout tyre and the walls are flexy and makes the tyre feel too flat but if you stay with it they do work great.
    If you blow the up obviously they lose grip but get the ballance right as with any tyre and the IRC is great i love them.
  17. Gordo83

Gordo83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I switched to the Michelins a couple years ago and like them. I ride a Vintage bike with steel rims and could not get the air pressure in the Dunlop's under 8 pounds or they would roll off the bead. The Michelins stay on the rim well even at very low pressures.
    I have not tried the IRC, but for what it's worth, I remember Mick Andrews spoke highly of them, when the question came up at the Ormstown event. But he could probably make any tire work.
  18. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    Well, money is an object so it will be between the IRCs and the Dunlops.
    I've read several on-line articles and posts stating that the IRCs are no joke, they're very good. The issue is, I'm going to be competing in Novice and, perhaps, Intermediate. So, the tires aren't the limiting factor here (I am :D). But, it would be nice to have something that's going to last for a few years and be good.
  19. motobene

motobene Motoing for 51 years

Oddometer:
    So many good choices for tires. IRC, Dunlop, Michelin, and V Rubber. Guess I've just gotten into a habit with Michelin, X11 rear (better durability than X-Lite) and X-Lite front (better feel than Trials Comp).

I can definitely tell the difference between a 1-year-old rounded-knobs rear tire and a fresh one, and that difference can mean going up or down a placing in an event because my class is so stinking competitive.

I ride mostly on slick-dry dirt and smoother rocks, and sometime muddy slick rocks. Both are often on the edge of traction even with great throttle control. If I was predominately on sticky Western rocks I'd care a whole bunch much less about tires.

I just rode three two-day events, Sipapu, MATT and Flint Hills and the new X11 I fit before Sipapu is just starting round off a very tiny bit on the leading edges. Very happy with the longevity.
  20. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Not wanting to start a tyre/tire thread so asking here what suitable options are out there for our application.

Both of our old bikes still have original tyre/tires on them and are going hard/cracking around knobs.:fpalm

Rider#1 100kg Novice 2006 Beta Rev3 200

Ride#2 65kg Novice 2003 Beta Rev3 250

Neither of us will be competing, but want tyres/tires with good grip and have reasonably durable side-walls.

Thanks in advance getting us set-up. (Will be asking more questions on set-up - not what oil to use!)

Cheers Jak