Dirt outta denver heading southwest???

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Hessian42, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Hessian42

Hessian42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know winter is here as we just got a couple of inches today here in denver however...... I'm getting ready to hit the road towards gunnison/crested butte. Eventually making my way through durango and finally moab. So what passes, trails are still passable? what are some good spots to get lost and do some primitive camping? Where would you go to disappear? Intermediate dirt rider with a modest load and good knobbies, will try anything twice. Got topo 100k loaded on the garmin. Let me have it!

:D
  2. Hessian42

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention i'm geared for well below freezing camping :evil
  3. Hessian42

Oddometer:
    So 129 people don't give a fuck. good to know. :huh
  4. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I think that is just that nobody wants to lay odds on suggesting a route you won't get blasted by early winter. Just play the elevation game. I hear that Salida never gets winter so maybe you could head out to Buena Vista, then on down to Salida and over Monarch (guaranteed to have snow) and down into Gunnyville and then to Black Canyon which has a tropical climate at the bottom. Seriously....
  5. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Really? Great way to get a response from someone who would otherwise want to help you. I am #130. :rolleyes
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here ya go:

Sedalia--> Dakan Mt Rd.--> Rainbow Falls -> West Creek --> Cedar Mt Rd. --> Lake George --> Tarryall --> La Salle Pass --. Hartsel --> Trout Creek Pass --> Four Mile --> Buena Vista --> Cotton Wood Pass --> Crested Butte.
  7. Hessian42

Oddometer:
    I apologize for the bluntness guys! just a bit frustrated as i'm heading out of here first thing tmrw morning and i'm not familiar with this area at all.

Thanks for the responses.
  8. skier

skier genius or insanity?

Oddometer:
    all the passes in the San Juans have snow. A few jeeps are still traversing some of them, but they wouldn't be much fun on a bike.
  9. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the gracious post. The high lonesome is pretty cold and windy, so consider the camping option if you will be up high since we don't know your winter camping experience. The forecast is for sunny and relatively warm in the day but cold at night, in the teens at most up there. It should be dry but it might locally snow. Be ready to make smart decisions depending on where you end up late in the day. Be prepared to turn around if your route gets sketchy as the consequences can be dire if you are not familiar and prepared for the high mountains.
  10. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are fucked! Looks like you are gonna have t slab it since it's snowing in SW Denver right now.
  11. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
  12. Hessian42

Oddometer:
    f it was easy it wouldn't be adv riding right?

thanks again for all the info and love :D