KTM 990 Supermoto R - too much?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MountaineerWV, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MountaineerWV

MountaineerWV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking for some input from folks that have the Supermoto R...

I have drooled over the 990 R since I first saw one, but I feel a little intimidated by it. The bulk of my experience (~40k miles) has been on a DR650 through North and South America.

Am I being a pussy or will I hope on this KTM and kill myself?
  2. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:

If you're scared of the bike at first you'll probably be fine. Do you have self-control?
  3. MountaineerWV

Oddometer:
    I drive at the speed and in such a way as I feel comfortable. Sure, I let loose once in awhile, but I never really feel out of control or that I'm putting myself in danger.
  4. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    If you have logged 40k miles on a 650 without too many near death experiences, you should be fine on a 950. If you are riding the 650 wide open and coming home thinking "I'm lucky to be alive", then possibly not.

At just under 100HP the KTM950 is no psyco fast like a liter sport bike. My FZ1 is a de-tuned 1000cc sport bike and it's still crazy fast compared to my 950.

The LC8 is a great engine for the back roads of WV.
  5. crofrog

crofrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then I think you answered your own question. Sure it's going to be more performance, but how fast the bike goes is all in your right hand.

It's also an absolute blast in WV. Had allot of fun on smoke hole with it...
  6. MountaineerWV

Oddometer:
    Excellent, thank you guys for the input.

I had fun on the 650, but found myself wishing it had more get up and go.

The DR was a great dual sport. Now I want to get away from the dual sport and have a bike for the road (the supermoto) and a lighter bike (not sure yet) dedicated for more off road stuff. WV has tons of both. :)
  7. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
  8. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    throttle response might be a bit faster than what you're used to.:evil
  9. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that about sums up my experience. since day one after getting my license i have always been lurking around the superduke. always thought it would be too much too handle though. after returning from my trip to south america (read 30k kilometers experience on a f800gs) i tried different bikes. street triple, ktm smt. while the smt was great fun (and i'm sure the smr is as well) i ended up buying the superduke r this year and had a blast with it so far!
  10. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A bike is never too much, only the rider that can be too less. :D

Best thing I've done was to take lessons from well recommended off road riding school here in Québec.

One day of feeding myself with details and techniques to ride better and execises to practice, it made and keeps making a difference on my riding every time I ride off road.

Next thing I do is lessons for sport riding on the asphalt.

If you like it and fell good with it, buy it you can be up to it's level quite fast.
  11. kaivalagi

kaivalagi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If it helps the OP I went from an SV650 (my first bike, had it for 8 month) to a KTM SM-T...yes, it's mind blowing in comparison but it is just down to self control (I am in my mid-thirties so figured I can get away with it)...sometimes the hooligan in me does and will come out though :) You'll know what I mean when you get on a 990 SM...the hooligan was there before but didn't have the urges it does now lol

Have you thought about an SMT as an alternative to the SMR? Bigger tank, better wind protection, wolf in sheep's clothing....SMT was first introduced in '09
  12. dirtbikebagger

dirtbikebagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i just went from a dr650 to a 990 adventure without looking back. got a chance to ride a smr the other day and was rockin wheelies(on accident) on the test ride and giggling like a retard...
    you gotta buy something that scares you at first.
    GET IT!
  13. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 for an additional reason. The SMR is a laser-focused pretty intense bike. That's great if it's what you know you want and can live with it all the time (sounds like it will be an only bike). I'd strongly suggest you ride them both before making your decision.
  14. ShadySmurf

ShadySmurf Does Own Stunts

Oddometer:
    I am unfamiliar with this concept of too much. Especially when it comes to RC8's :D.
  15. wipe-out

wipe-out Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    get it
  16. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    I passed my UK bike test and bought a 990ADV the next day :D . Now onto my 2nd (a 990R ADV) and still alive 2 years, 80,000 miles later and the other side of the world later :clap

Been riding enduro bikes for 15 years prior though :lol3

Buy it, you will never stop grinning mate

17. MountaineerWV

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of any KTM dealers with an SMR on the east coast. ;)
  18. Barman

Barman Way Offline

Oddometer:
    There's a new 2011 on Cycletrader offered at a good price. That would make up for shipping or travel expenses. :dunno
  19. dirtbikebagger

dirtbikebagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you can get amazing deals in minnesota on any lc8 bike... nobody here knows what they are!
  20. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the SMR - you won't look back! Then book yourself into wheelie-school. The thing is nuts. My mate has a 990 SMR, and so I've done a fair few thousand miles on it riding the SMR and my Adventure R back to back. An utterly different bike, and utterly addictive. The SMR is the only thing that tempts me away from my Adventure. With a rotopac on the back carrier it has the same range as my Adventure.

I kind of wish/thinking of an SMR with a spare set of wire spoke wheels with dirt tryes....

Beware the SMT, IMHO it is a budget bike with a huge price tag in terms of the quality of forks, shock, and brakes. The SMR is top shelf, and those monoblock radial brakes just about make your eyeballs pop out. All the SMR needs is a windscreen (MRA do a really good one), and a SMT seat. The difference in fuel range you can live with.