Riding staircases

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by RRVT, Nov 8, 2012.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much trouble did you get into? How many officers were waiting at the bottom? :eek1
  2. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0k2n_UtGM7g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Buddy of mine tried a set of stairs on a Z1R Kawasaki . Went ok till he hung on the top step of about 10 :eek1 . Took out porch post,hand rail , bits and pieces of him and the bike. Yes drinking was involved :freaky
  4. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have mistaken the MPD for a police department that gives a damn about people being stupid. Especially in Georgetown where drunken debauchery is pretty much the norm. Besides, the Exorcist stairs end in a gas station parking lot.
  5. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that campus police have NO sense of humor about stair climbing AT ALL.
  6. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Nor do Candian Embassy guards. EEEEEEJected.
  7. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

When riding up makeshift ramps, and along dubious balconies in Saigon (handcuffed to a Chinese agent) you need to pick one of these:

[​IMG]

BMW R 1200 C Cruiser

If you pick Istanbul in Turkey then a Honda CRF250R will suffice to tackle out of the way riding terrain:

[​IMG]
  8. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have done stairs in the down direction- in a race. Mountain bike race. On our FS tandem.

Bear Brook in N.H. Part of the EFTA race series.

The stairs were near the end of the course.

No pictures of that insane moment, but this is the beast we did it on. :D We love this bike.

[​IMG]
  9. Avi8tor

Avi8tor ADV Poser

Oddometer:
    My biggest concern with this set would be the possibility of a pedestrian entering on either end whilst ascending or descending.
  10. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    The parking lot at the Jr College I attended had only one entrance/exit.
    But there was a set of stairs at the opposite end of the lot....:wink:
    Used 'em almost daily, up or down, sometimes just for fun.
  11. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Did some hooligan riding in downtown Birmingham today with a fellow motard rider. I got a little more practice climbing stairs. I definitely need more practice. :norton
  12. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Oh and another thing you have to keep in mind...

In the winter time, the steps are much colder and traction is lower. Dropping your rear tire pressure helps.
  13. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Bumping this back up since I've made some progress on climbing up stairs. I am pretty comfortable climbing short sections of stairs like 4-8 steps (basically a bike length or so) but when the opportunity presented itself to go up a 40 step stair case, I took it. My climb is at the 3:07 mark on this video, and ohgood can be seen of my bike climbing steps at the 2:37 mark.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/69666416" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/69666416">Urban Moto-Terror Squad</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/bamarides">dredman</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  14. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  15. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    Cool place for riding!
    Practice should be fun!
    :thumb
  16. Martin_404

Martin_404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this on youtube :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t_CiY1EGaho" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  17. Martin_404

Martin_404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 1200cc 260kg bike and riding up and down stairs is on my wishlist.

What you see happening to some of the guys in the video above, is what I fear if I would go up.
    If I am almost at the top and loose control, then a big bike is not so easy to hold.
    My 3 months old 260kg bike tumbling down the stairs is not something I want to see.

On my mountainbike I did try to go down a small stair with only 3 steps.
    Everything went fine until my front wheel reached the flat ground at the bottom of the stairs where it just stopped.
    I dove over the steeringwheel, made a roll (lots of freestyle snowboard experience) and walked away with a tiny scratch on my elbow.

That mountainbike did not have frontwheel suspension and my body position was probably wrong, but again; I do not want 260kg following me in a front-roll.
    I will probably try it anyway, but start with something that is not so steep.
  18. Martin_404

Martin_404 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MPcTl_UQquY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  19. JonU

JonU Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember those! The "exorcist stairs" :) when I was stationed at Fort Myer, we would run up and down those more than I care to remember. They are steeper than they look in the picture.
  20. wr37

wr37 Woods Racer

Oddometer:
    Climbed stairs all the time with my XL's back in the day, too many security cams these days. Momentum and a steady throttle on the way up. Controlled braking and a hold a straight line on the way down.