Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I misread your post and interpreted it as saying you'd save money by going with the non-LV exhaust. Obviously that's not what you said.
  2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 years ago I'd have agreed about LV.
    But one I purchased for my Tiger in 2012 was incredibly well made and from proper materials. I have old LV in garage (one, that was desintegrated by attempt to use carbon can on 800 cc thumper) and it's day and night.
    LV comes in aluminium and carbon BTW.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:

Just curious, what country are the LV made in?
  4. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:

On that same note, I have a Two Bros. exhaust on my SV. I'm not sure how old it is because it came with the bike, but it's held up fine (including a lowside from the previous owner) and still sounds great. It's SS and I'd warrant that it's ~10 yrs. old.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    BlackTiger posted a good site, the tiger800 one in the UK.

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?action=forum

Don't worry about it being based in the UK. When I had my Honda CBF1000, the only forum for it was based in the UK with 99% of the members being UK and Europe based. There were in total, 12 Canadian members. Still all good info and for parts you can usually find a US importer etc.

I also liked the fact that the Australians had already figured out about the dusty stepper motor causing stalling and the answer *before* we could even buy our Tigers. UNI in Australia is also the ONLY source for the pre-filter which is a must have if you plan to ride in dusty conditions. I bought mine in the first group buy, and the second group buy just finished but there will be another one. Dirtmonkey8, managing the second buy bought a couple extras so you may still be able to grab one.

Read BurrenRiders and Tysons threads for prepping the Tiger for off-road.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704559

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701552
  6. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

Italy.

I had one, it's a nice piece. But it wouldn't fit on with the HT racks so I returned it. Now I want to get one again.
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    With the prices they sell at I had figured they farmed out the manufacturing to elsewhere.
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. They are one of the few that actually sell their product at a fair price. I had one on my Versys too, was a very nice custom piece, an underbody design specifically for that bike and the ER6n. Even that one was just over $300

Another reason may just be their volume...they sell a LOT of mufflers. Some of the other brands are priced at just stupid. Not to knock anyone's Arrow, but that thing is way too quiet and costs way too much.

My parts guy sold me the aluminum LV for the Tiger for $235, all in.
  9. PVRnick

PVRnick Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer:
    I have heard some guys are putting a 15 tooth
    c/s sprocket on for a lower 1st gear to help in the
    Low speed, off road stuff . I want to try one myself and
    I know JT Sprockets lists one in their catalog, but I
    have not spent the time to locate one yet.
    Hopefully Triumph will change the 1st gear ratio down a
    little and the 6th gear ratio up a little sometime.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Nick
  10. Windy Rider

Windy Rider Live to Ride!

Oddometer:
    I thought that I would do the same, then I had some one that I ride with pointed out to me, how much tight stuff did I do? Very little! So it's really up to what sort of riding that you are doing, but I still have given some thought to having a 15 tooth sprocket in my kit to change to for those days when you might want to go exploring a bit deeper! some of us take the Tiger places we shouldn't, including me!
    I use my Tiger to commute to work every day so I didn't see to point in stuffing up my fuel economy to have it on there full time. I used to change the sprockets on my Dr650 to suit the riding I was doing
  11. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take it the CS is easier to take off on these bikes than others? I know some are notoriously difficult to get off, requiring cheater bars and/or pneumatic tools.
  12. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:
    With all the discussion about different exhausts, I'm wondering if anyone has removed the baffle from the stock exhaust?

Good? Bad?

-Brian
  13. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
    Was your previous bike a Harley? :lol3

Seriously I took the baffle out of my Arrow to see what it was like, way too loud for me. YMMV
  14. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Indeed, it may not be worth doing it in your case. When comparing the 800XC with the 800GS and the KTM 950, the Tiger has the tallest first gear, but also the shortest 6th gear of this trio. You may bring down 1st (increase ratio), but it will cost you on the 6th, increasing its ratio even more than what it already is (above 1 to 1 as is).

[​IMG]

I performed these calculations and graphed them based on official information from each respective manufacturer for each motorcycle.
  15. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:
    Its funny you say that.... I have owned more Japanese bikes than I can remember.. UNTIL :eek1 ... I briefly crossed paths (trade) with a Sportster last summer.. at first it was "wow... this is too loud.. I dont want to be one of "those" guys"... after the summer was over and Sporty on too a new owner I did actually sorta miss the grumble... as much as I hate to admit it.. loud pipes do save lives...too some degree... I had little doubt that cagers knew I was in the area :D:D

I may pull the baffle (stock exhaust) just too see what happens..
  16. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock exhaust is semi-labyrinth. You cannot "remove baffle", you can only butcher it. Never in my life I heard this type of exhaust to sound good butchered in any way on any bike, so why bother :wink:
    Or you mean optional Arrow?
  17. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two Bros are illegal in Europe, so for us it is no choice. I have seen tons of SS exhausts that lasted years, but they weight a ton - why they won't last...there are plenty of solid metal there :wink:

I've seen cheap cans last a lot and expensive go to pieces, I must admit I also seen Two Bros cans go bad on bikes of my friends in Eastern Europe etc. - anything possible, no argument from my side. For me - I like to save weight and space and have exhaust that not too hot so luggage will be OK - but that's personal choice. I am just saying - LV became much better. Finish of link pipe alone was impressive and attention to details too. Even spacers are turned to nice shape and polished.
  18. byh

byh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the current version of TuneECU supports the 2013 model year 800/800XC?
  19. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
  20. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Similar story....Two Bros on my Speed Triple and have had the bike for 5 years and the PO fitted it. I think it's probably 7 or 8 years old at least and has done 30K miles ?