Cell Phone Plans

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RxZ, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    Maybe my GoogleFu is weak, but I am having a hard time finding the answer...

We all know that the large mobile network companies (ATT&T, Verizon, etc) subsidize the cost of cell phones through increased rates on the actual plans. I currently have AT&T, and am eligible to upgrade to a new phone/plan which I want to do. However, what if I want to buy my own phone somewhere, and not from AT&T? Do they offer the same plans at a reduced cost since I would have nothing that needs to be subsidized? Or am I forced to go the pre-paid route (which after looking at AT&T's website is actually more expensive per GB of data)?

Or do I wait until the first of May 2013 when my two year contract is up, and say bye-bye to AT&T? But then what?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. 13

13 __________ Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know for sure but I'm gonna guess if they get less money and it benefits you they probably won't be too hip to the idea.
  3. DaveStockwell

DaveStockwell Rock Fodder

Oddometer:
    Check into Virgin Mobile. I believe they offer plans for SIM cards only. The others might but you aren't going to find them advertised that well. From the shopping I've done, over the long term (and especially if you use a lot of data) your most cost effective route will be to take the ATT upgrade.
  4. lucas123

lucas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your plan will remain the same price as it currently is. It doesn't get cheaper.

The only difference after the contract expires is that you can cancel that plan without incurring a fee.
  5. ~DC~

~DC~ An Internet Legend

Oddometer:
    Not sure if they still do it, I think T-mobile reduced rates off contract, no one else does.
  6. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep. well, close- they offer reduced rates for non subsidized phones- you actually need to sign a initial contract to get the lower rates anyways, iirc.

this, or go prepaid.
  7. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    OK, this is all as I expected. I was just hoping that there was something out there I didn't know about. I kinda like the t-mobile plans, but unfortunately I would not get service inside the hospital I work at. Sprint doesn't work well either, and since Virgin uses Sprint's network... That is why I was asking about AT&T more than any other company.

Oh well. Gotta pay to play it seems. :deal

Thanks all!
  8. PoundSand

PoundSand Long timer

Oddometer:
    if you want att and are willing to buy your own phone, look at straight talk prepaid. $45/month, and you can chose tmobile or att as the network. cheaper than using att's own prepaid plan. ;D
  9. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Virgin Mobile only supports CDMA--no SIM cards. They also will only activate Virgin Mobile phones. Theoretically Sprint phones would also be able to be activated and I've seen stories on the net where people have been able to talk the customer service rep into activating a Sprint phone on Virgin but it's not company policy.

My phone is $35/mo, unlimited text and data, 300 minutes of talk time. I bought my Optimus V used for $50 with an otter box case and screen protector.
  10. der_saeufer

der_saeufer Пу́тін хуйло́

Oddometer:
    We have a winner!

(Second) best deal around if you buy your own phone. #1 is T-Mobile's $30 100min/unlimited msg/5GB data on an Android phone with a VoIP app, but OP says no to T-Mo, so Straight Talk on AT&T's network is the answer.

Forget the CDMA carriers (Verizon and Sprint) and all their MVNOs (Virgin, Boost, etc etc). Too much bullshit if you want to switch. With the GSM carriers (T-Mobile and AT&T), if your phone is unlocked, you can switch carriers whenever you want with a new SIM, though a number of smartphones only support one or the other's 3G/4G frequencies. Among others, Google's phones are 5-band, though after last week's Nexus 4 launch fiasco, it might be a while before you can get one.

Also worth noting if you've got one T-Mobile dead spot is that many T-Mobile phones can make calls over wifi. With the 'normal' plans, wifi calls are free, but on prepaid they do count against your minutes. SMS and MMS work over wifi too, though you can't switch from wifi to the cellular network mid-call unless you're on a BlackBerry.
  11. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    I recently (July) got on a Verizon network unlimited minutes/text/data plan for $100/mo. My Razr Maxx was an extra $100. I am super happy with this arrangement since I use my phone as a hotspot for my iPad & laptop & never have to worry about data/minute/text overages. Also, I spend a fair bit of time in remote locals and appreciate the Verizon extended coverage over other networks.
  12. darenative

darenative Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went this route after leaving ATT. For me, including buying the phones, it was about $500 cheaper per phone for 2 years of service.

I thought there would be a reduction in overall services offered or received due to the reduced rate of the ST plan, but so far that's not been the case. It's just like Att service without the ass rape at the end of the month
  13. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    T-Mobile and AT&T happen to have the worst coverage areas where I live. Verizon and Sprint are the best. Whoda thunk it? :lol3
  14. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I have NO idea what you just said. :cry
  15. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can get the same $45 wally world straight talk plan directly from Net10. You just have to agree to having the $45 automatically billed each month.
  16. spidennis

spidennis SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer:
    South Padre Island, Texas .... far from anything
    I got the net 10 service ..... 50 bucks a month, NO contract, unlimited voice, text, data, plus the coverage is good. and I pay from month to month and can switch to the 25 buck plan for when I am poor. I'm using a jail broken att iPhone. I'm happy!:clap
  17. AkBrian

AkBrian Long timer

Oddometer:
    The $50 unlimited plan is $45 if you buy it at net10.com

edit to add direct link;

https://www.net10.com/direct/ValuePlans?app=NET10&lang=en
  18. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:

I'm using the same Virgin plan on an Evo V. I bought the phone for $130 (smokin' deal) with the option to use the service or not. I used the phone for a few days before activating it. After that period, I decided I liked the phone and shut off my Verizon service.

There was a week or so where making phone calls didn't work so well, but the folks on the other end seem to have sorted things.

I have mixed emotions on Virgin. Either they're selling my number to every company who wants it or the previous owner of the number gave it to anyone who asked. Yesterday I got 10 spam calls and as many texts! I don't get them all the time, but it's common to get several per week. To their credit, most of the calls/messages are looking for some heavy smoker named Christina. I may have just gotten one of the nightmarish recycled numbers :puke1

Hard to beat unlimited web, text and email for $35 a month though...even get 300 minutes with it. I don't make many calls, so it's the best deal going. Err, that and the lack of a contract! $55/month gets you unlimited everything!
  19. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    I get very few spam calls--can't remember the last one. I have had my VM number since 2006 however, probably longer than anyone else has ever had a prepaid number.:lol3

I bet it was the PO of that number.
  20. seuadr

seuadr Wee-stromer

Oddometer:
    i am currently dealing with sprint, but in feburary, i am looking pretty hard at virgin mobile. t mobile nor AT&T have anything at all where i live on their service maps. I looked at verizon, but they claim to have 4g where i live where most of the companies barely have 3g, so i am skeptical. that and the fact that their prepaid is more expensive than virgin is leaving me leaning towards virgin. it is good to hear other people having good experiences with them. Sprint has raised the cost of our current plan significantly, and since we are ready for new phones, they will not let us grandfather it in (which i didn't want to do anyhow, since it is already too much money). it seems that, even paying full price for a "cool" phone i wil lsave a TON over a 2 year contract with sprint.:eek1