TEXAS BACKROADS - CONDITION UPDATES....post your latest ride findings

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Cycledelic Relic, May 8, 2011.

1. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    South of Rumley. I can't believe we turned a mile from bumpgate road and headed west as SOG and company were in area also. I thought I saw a smoke signal, ha! We ended up in Walburg after riding south of Lampasas and finding the COOLEST old Fort in Shady Grove/Joppa-Fort (William)Black on CR210A Burnet county. It had an awesome historical marker but didn't have still camera with me. I'll bet you've been there Rod.
  2. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Clark found this on Texas Forts. [​IMG] Imagine free guns and ammunition being offered nowadays! I'm there dude!!!
  3. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Kno the area well.....but I can't say'as I've ever been down 210A. I've stopped at Shady Grove under the trees & at Joppa by the old bridge... "Coffee break"(used) under an old tree by a low water crossing on CR214....Had a big ol bull up on a hill lookin over the rickety old fence at my back....!!! huh...Those roads are some of my favorite short cuts from Florence to Burnet.
  4. TXjames

TXjames High Sider

Oddometer:
    Bridge is out HERE on this section of FM 932, just north of Purmela. Dirt alternate to the east ain't bad though. However, I think the only paved alternate is FM 1241 all the way from Hamilton to Purmela.
  5. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    That's a mighty fine "alternate" to FM932. I actually prefer it myself.

...+ you can use the Ohio Cutoff down across the creek & toward Hwy84 & the cool little paved "goat paths" (as SOG calls em) south of 84 & beyond.....
  6. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Yup. Rod, we headed straight to the goat paths. That was the plan.
  7. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    Slater Rd which runs from the end of FM1783 near King west over to FM1690 at Izoro is a great paved shortcut that we ride a bunch.

This county rd stretch has developed a few patches of gravel (actual county patches) along it's route. They've been there for a while now & I figured the county would've re-topped 'em with tar 'n pea gravel by now. They're not hiding just over any crests or anything so really not too much of a nuisance.....just be aware that they are there.

In other news.....We rode Georgetown Rd from just south of Goatsville down towards Copperas Cove. The intent was a direct paved route to breakfast in the Cove without putting up with FM116 or winding too far out of the way.(Georgetown Rd is like an FM road)

THE GEORGETOWN ROAD CLOSURE WAS JUST NORTH OF THE COVE near Turkey Run Rd. An alternate route is to take Eligah Rd over to FM116 a couple of miles north of the closure. ALL PAVED

& that's the way it is........this is Walter Concrete reporting....
  8. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Saw you and your entourage MR2mch on FM 215...I had your DPS TTrooper busy:lol3
  9. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    'at you draggin that boat around??? Yeah....that was the crew.

Willie (Mr Straight Road Air It Out) in the lead on the Howitzer (M109)
    The Farmer & The Famous English Race Driver right in there on the BigStroms

.........& then Me on my little VeSpa
  10. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    The county road just east of Lometa off of FM581 which runs east over to CR2200 & beyond to CR39 (old #) has just been topped with fresh marbles(pea gravel) Not all the way to CR2200 but still a pretty good distance for a street bike. CAREFUL RIDING until the gravel is bedded in good.
  11. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    No new findings for me lately other than FM591 in Comanche Co which is under construction from FM1702 to FM1476......Anyone else got any roads with problems to report?? Damage...construction...closure
  12. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    We ran into 2 temporary road closures while riding thru the Waring/Welfare area near I10 & Boerne recently.

Zoeller Ln north of Waring had a ROAD CLOSED sign up so we backtracked down Waring-Welfare Rd to Cravey & took it over to Walnut Grove Rd & Marquardt Rd.

At the intersection another ROAD CLOSED sign on Marquardt had us taking Walnut Grove south to RR1376 so we could again head north toward Blanco.

I suspect there were bridge repairs going on on both roads, but did not check to see for sure.
  13. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    We were riding in the area just east of I35 & north of Salado the other day....I noticed that the bridge on Armstrong road over Salado Creek was still under construction....hence ROAD CLOSED just past intersect with Elmer King Rd.

Should be open soon though.

>>>Added a note to the original first thread post....PLEASE PUT THE ROAD NUMBER OR NAME & COUNTY IN THE POST TITLE FOR EASY REFERRAL
  14. seantx

seantx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the OT but is there a thread of good roads or routes in the areas N of Austin, S of Waco and W of I-35?

I usually just end up leaving early Sat or Sun morning, heading to Gatesville or Valley Mills area then try to get lost for a few hours. :lol3
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Simplest thing to do is just go with mr2mch. He's still showing me roads and I've lived here forever. Next simplest? Just do a search on his name. It'll take you to a map of local-ish goodies.
  16. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    Here's the thread you need to get to the Google map with all the little goodies on it....

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537485
  17. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    We took Bosque CR4135 off of FM1238 & around the hills Saturday...It seems like it is reverting back to gravel. Very patchy pavement with almost solid gravel strips each track. Still a fun road on the right bike,but hope the county gets around to resurfacing it at some point. The other roads (CR4100 4125) in the same area were in better shape overall.
  18. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    The stretch of FM927 between Morgan & Walnut Springs seems to have developed several sharp dips (sinkholes)...at least in the lane headed west outta Morgan. They can catch ya off guard with a sharp jolt to the forks.
    The pavement isn't broken (yet) or anything....just collapsed gravel base underneath a bit.
  19. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    M2M,

I'm really glad you started this thread. :thumb

I have been meaning to get-out, and give an update on some of the County Roads west of San Antone. But, lately, life has gotten in the way.

Thanks for the input...

20. Cycledelic Relic

Oddometer:
    IT happens....sometimes with a SH in front.....
    Hope ya get a chance to ride soon....
    doR