red vs green sticker, which bikes get them

Discussion in 'Trials' started by sweenrace, Jan 29, 2013.

1. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All,

I have a couple of OHV parks relatively close and so ideally would like to have a California green sticker bike. I'd also like a relatively new trials bike but it seems that the newer bikes arent eligible for green stickers? Can anyone explain to me how the whole sticker thing works?

• If a bike doesnt have a sticker then it cant be ridden in any state parks?
    • If I were to buy a new '12 GasGas econ can I be sure it will get a red sticker? Is there any chance it would get a green sticker? Does it matter where I register it (i'm in oakland)
    • I'd love to ride with sactopits. If I have a red sticker bike then I assume I wouldnt be able to ride the summer events that are in a state park?
    • If I'm buying a 2nd hand bike what do i need to look for to make sure it gets a sticker when i re-register it?

Thanks in advance for all the newbie questions!
    Ian
  2. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    From DMV's site - Green stickers are issued for all California OHVs year model 2002 and older. Red stickers are issued to 2003 year model and newer OHVs that are not certified to California OHV emission standards.

Yea, a new GasGas should come with a Red Sticker. Verify with the Lewisports to be sure. Only new 4-strokes "certified to California OHV emission standards" can get a green sticker.

When buying used - a CA titled trials bike 2002 or older should have a green sticker. 2003 and newer should have a red sticker. There should be no hassle at DMV transfering the title on a bike that has a OHV sticker.

I just bought a 2006 Rev3 with no title. I am now faced with the task of getting a Red Sticker. Beta did not follow the VIN number standards so I need a special document from Beta to prove it qualifies for a red sticker. I know it does as there are plent of Rev3 out there with Red Stickers. Proving it to DMV is another thing. IMO the bike need to be a Killer deal if it has no title as you are taking a risk and a lot of work getting it titled.

Another thing to consider ---- The PITS summer events are on private property no OHV sticker required. Last event at Pararie City, a state OHV park. They did not check my bike. Racing MX bikes do not qualify for OHV sticker and are still allowed for races on a "closed corse". Looks like they were applying the same rule to the trials comp.

Still you are limiting where you can ride if you have no OHV sticker. But as far as competitions, I have seen you don't have to have a OHV sticker.

BTW ---- the whole Red /Green sticker crap is total BS. Envriomental Natzi crap only found in Kalifornia. :puke1
  3. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Do your research on you local OHV areas and if the Red sticker closed season applies to them. I know in SoCal you are very limited for summer riding if you have a red Sticker. Many guys look for a low use 2002 just because it has a Green sticker.

Where I ride in the Sierra east of Sacramento you can ride Red Sticker year round, so I have no reson not to get a newer bike.
  4. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - exactly what I was looking for!
  5. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    Do yourself a favor and buy one with at title and sticker. I may be screwed on my new Rev3. Hopefully Beta can provide some supporting documets. Crazy that I may not be able to register it while there's 100s of Rev3 in CA with stickers. same exact bike.

About 1/3 of the bikes I see on CL are no title.
  6. haposwald

haposwald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At the present time I believe that only GASGAS and Beta are California legal bikes. If you have lived in california very long then you know that it's just as easy to get a green sticker as a red. Your bike will not know the difference. If you join the SACRAMENTO PITS CLUB it will not matter as long as theres no snow you can ride on our 40 arces.
    I have always went to DMV not knowing what to do just that I need a green sticker. It's a dirt bike, tha tI want to ride at the local riding areas. I would'nt go to a DMV in oakland I'd find a small office in a nearby town......... Make sure you have all the paperwork filled out correctly, with a bill of sale fromwhomever you bought it from and a transfer of title if there is title already. I had 2007 GASGAS w/GREEN STICKER, and I just purchased an 2004 from Coloradothat I'm sure will be green stickered............. contact me off the list and I will help in anyway I can. thanks and good luck Hap