Bmw Gps

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Crotalus64, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Crotalus64

Crotalus64 I Brake For Snakes

Oddometer:
    Anyone have GPS on your GS? Anyone using the BMW Navigator system? What do you think of it?
  2. luv_to_ride

luv_to_ride Yeah Baby! :.::.Denver CO

Oddometer:
    I have the Navigator II Plus, by Motorrad. I love it! No issues with sun (reflection), rain or touch pad. Occasionally it will do something weird like offering a search while in route. A simply click on the escape button takes me back to existing route...(Not sure why it does that, I will monitor and might decide to notify dealer while under warrantee.) Initially I was concerned about the device shaking and was relieved to find that it is very stable at all speeds. If you are as handy as I am you might consider having it professionally installed.

Good luck with your decision… Cheers,
  3. ridingisliving

ridingisliving Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BMW Nav II, I love it. Its the coolest thing ever. It occasionally does some odd stuff though and the first one I had fried on me after only 2 months(replaced under warranty) but for the most part its been reliable and will show you in very short order just how far off your GS's speedo really is.

as a plus, I travel for business alot and find its very handy in my rental cars...

BTW, I'm selling the GS... but keeping the Nav II, it'll go on whatever the next bike is.
  4. Possu

Possu de-nOObed!

Oddometer:
    Nav.II costs more than the Garmin 2610 on which it's based. Not sure if it's worth the extra when buying new though? The hard buttons are a plus in winter when wearing thick gloves & the Nav.II Plus now comes with a 2gb CF card as standard, whilst the 2610 comes with a 256mb card.

Nav.II also comes with a 2 year warranty, 2610 with 1 year.

I bought a 14 month Nav.II & 512mb card last may for the the cost of a new 2610. In July the USB socket in the rear came loose & lost the connection. BMW replaced it within a week with a new Nav.II Plus & 2gb card :D - very happy as I was on the verge of buying a 2gb card anyway.

I made a sunshade for mine, attaches with velcro. Useful when fuelling up as you can cover the screen to prevent fuel splash on the screen - I've heard that petrol can damage the screen?
  5. gfspencer

gfspencer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Navigator II Plus. Overall I have been pleased with it but I have experienced a few problems - <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

(1) The screen will sometimes haze over when there is a significant temperature change in route.<o:p></o:p>

(2) If a reflection hits the infrared window the screen image changes. (“Odd stuff” as ridingisliving said.) I cured it by taping over the sensor with black electrical tape. I might try taking the tape off (unsightly) and trying the escape button. I wish Garmin would program an on/off function for the sensor.<o:p></o:p>

Otherwise, the Navigator II is excellent. I like the key pad. It’s easy to use with gloves. The mapping functions are as good as any GPS that I have used. (I also have a Quest and an iQue 3600.) The 2meg card holds the whole <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">United States</st1:place></st1:country-region>. (The new Navigators should come with version 7 of City Navigator.) The screen is easy to read and the light sensor - which automatically adjusts backlighting - is a nice touch.<o:p></o:p>

Mounting the Navigator on the GS is pretty straight forward. BMW has already wired a plug near the steering head. Just take the cover off and plug the Navigator in. The mount is nicely integrated into the GS and the viewing angle is adjustable. (The Navigator can be used with the BMW tank bag in place but it is a little difficult to see the screen.)