Lost my R65 front axle spacer. Anyone know the precise dimensions of this?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by svejkovat, Aug 2, 2014.

1. svejkovat

svejkovat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    '84 R65 snowflake wheels.

Just finished mounting tires and ..... DAMN..... shop gremlins nicked this spacer. Approx 28mm long tube spacer that slides onto the axle.
    [​IMG]

Left side between the bearing and fork end. No. 10 BMW Part No. 36 31 1 236 145
    [​IMG]

Spent three frustrating hours this morning in search. Missed a beautiful day to ride and tomorrow would be as well.

If I had the precise dimensions of this I could knock one out in ten minutes. I could just go with the space that exists when assembled but don't know how accurate that would be.

I don't know how universal these are to other air heads, but if anyone has one laying about, or has a weblink that shows exact dimensions, I'd be very grateful. Monday, and 80 miles round trip to the nearest dealer (if they even stock it) is a long way off.

Thanks
  2. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    The MAX BMW Motorcycles fiche site is your friend....

Part #10:
    then you can go to Real OEM and use the part number search function... and you can find if it used on any other bikes (which sometimes makes it alot easier to find!)...but in this case, this is the only model that uses that particular function.

So, after all that, I am afraid I don't have the dimensions....:cry

On the other hand, the wheel bearing assembly is not something that depends on external tightening for a bearing preload to an exact figure. You could make a spacer with a lathe, as you suggest, using the "available space" and it would be fine certainly until you can get to that elusive dealership (or have it mailed to you!)

:D
  3. svejkovat

Oddometer:
    A mm off one way or the other not a prob? Not enough for stiction I guess.
    I'll give it a try and check back here to see if anyone has a length to offer.

thanks for your help
  4. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    This is not the missing axle spacer but the tophat spacer for a 17mm axle. I have no idea of the source or the actual model application except it being the dims of a 17mm tophat spacer (probably outer spacer of the two, probably /5/6 related)

Presented FWIW for the next searcher.

--Bill

Attached Files:

5. Pokie

Pokie Love, build, ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Put the wheel on, slide in the axle, put on the caliper and set the wheel so the disc is about right, now measure the space. That should be close enough to get you back on the road. If you now feel compelled to order a new one, you can still be riding your bike until it comes.

After you've gone through all that trouble, the original part will now turn up. Any chance you slid it on the axle so you wouldn't lose it?
  6. svejkovat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help guys.

I did the ad hoc version off of measured space, 22.5mm. Hardly five minutes with the approx right OD steel rod on the rack next to the lathe.

Unfortunately that is how I usually operate. So that when I do lose something I'm doubly irritated with myself for losing anything. I look at my line of parts, separated and ordered to mirror reassembly, digital photos at various phases, etc. Didn't bother with this tire change. How on earth can you lose one of four parts on a clean benchtop? Burned.

I also measured the ID at the handle of a few alum baseball bats laying about the shop. ID a bit sloppy on the axle but not critically and could have been used in real pinch or on the road far from home with just a hacksaw. Three to five bucks at thrift shops and handy to have around the shop since you can slice off a range of ID/OD round alum washers or shims .

Over-thought this one I guess. It's not a critical spot except to cause shock tube stickage or brake disc misalignment. I'll get one ordered from max tonight.
  7. svejkovat

Oddometer:
    I never learn. The number one place to find lost items. Single guys will relate. Yep, a jeans pocket halfway down the pile of unwashed laundry going on one month old. I'd always shared that detail with wives/girlfriends, but living alone I have noone to nag me.

Should have been the first place I looked.

Turns out I was only off by .25mm. The OEM is 22.25. I measured 22.50.
    Good thing it's a five minute swap and not an interal transmission part!
  8. svejkovat

Oddometer:

I never learn. The number one place to find lost items. Single guys will relate. Yep, a jeans pocket halfway down the pile of unwashed laundry going on one month old. I'd always shared that detail with wives/girlfriends, but living alone I have noone to nag me.

Should have been the first place I looked.

Turns out I was only off by .25mm. The OEM is 22.25. I measured 22.50.
    Good thing it's a five minute swap and not an interal transmission part!