XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    It only seems that way to the more sensitive types:cry
    :evil:lol3
  2. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found PBI CS on amazon. I guess chain wear is better than shaft spline wear.
  3. Boojum

Boojum I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer:

Check your PM's friend..............:freaky
  4. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :wave

:wave
  5. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:

No funky chain wear as far as I can tell- the wear on my 650R sprocket looks the same as my 650L sprockets, and the rear sprocket isn't showing any funkiness.
  6. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, the wider, XR650R C/S sprocket definitely arrests wear on the XR650L countershaft. Also, you won't get any more wear on the drive chain when employing the XR650R C/S sprocket.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/86...countershaft-splines-with-an-xr650r-sprocket/

I always recommend the XR650R C/S sprockets sold by either PBI, or Moose Racing. It appears to me that PBI manufactures the Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets. These sprockets are a little narrower, and also have a deeper chamfer than some of the other XR650R C/S sprockets, which facilitates installation on the XR650L counter shaft.

You can buy the PBI sprockets from any Western Power Sports (WPS) vendor. I buy mine from the local Honda dealer. You can also buy the PBI sprockets directly from PBI. :deal

http://www.shop.pbisprockets.com/product.sc?productId=72&categoryId=21

You can buy the Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockts from Motorcycle Superstore, and a variety of other vendors. :deal

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...nt-Countershaft-Sprocket.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Spud :beer
  7. KyoXR

KyoXR Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters now but you must have missed when I replied to your post that I edited inside your quote with Red lettering ...:lol3:lol3:lol3 :deal:freaky
    Also it is my understanding that the Boyesen quick shot 3 has all the internal leak jet stuff and will bolt up to your carb.
    I was planning on getting one.

here is a pic I borrowed from the internet:

[​IMG]
  8. mabuz

mabuz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just recently switched to a Moose XRR sprocket up front and had a quick question about fitment.

I moly'd the countershaft (which is still in great shape thank goodness), and the Moose sprocket went on no problem (flat side out, away from engine), got everything mounted up, sprocket retainer bolted back on, chain back together, and in doing one last check, I noticed there is a slight bit of play with the new sprocket. The play is side to side (engine-to-footpeg direction and back, if that makes sense), not rotational, and only feels like a couple of millimeters worth.

Is this little bit of side-to-side play ok, or am I going to have problems if I run it?
  9. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
  10. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone aware of something similar (a bit less expensive) to this to reach in and adjust the idle screw? (Besides a burned hand...)

[​IMG]
  11. nic579

nic579 x

Oddometer:
    I finally took the heat shield off to make more room and stuck a piece of rubber hose on the screw + drape one of my old stick welder gloves on the header to insulate for my hand and just reach in there and turn. Its hot but doable.

[​IMG]
  12. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet,
    Ordered the PBI sprocket and honda moly paste from amazon.
    Thanks for the tip:D
  13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You won't have any problems. The side play must be the sprocket retainer moving laterally in the groove. Do you have a new sprocket retainer? The stock C/S sprocket would move as much with the same sprocket retainer. The benefit of the XR650R C/S sprocket is the larger surface area which distributes the load more widely over the counter shaft. All C/S sprockets which employ a retainer have a little lateral play. Only the C/S sprockets which bolt onto the end of the counter shaft don't move laterally.

Spud :beer
  14. chipbl

chipbl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea, much closer to my price point!
  15. bearclaw952

bearclaw952 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone put a Kush rear sprocket on the XRL? Wouldn't that help with the countershaft wear problem? I'm thinking about getting one unless someone here say it's a bad idea.
  16. aksinha88

aksinha88 YETI ADV RIDER

Oddometer:
    Kinda random, but can the Acerbis 5.8 be slightly reshaped with a heat gun. My handlebar risers wont clear the tank by about 1/4" when turning. Wondering if I could apply heat with a heat gun and use a metal tube or something to push down on the contact area?

Thougths?

Didnt just wanna go ahead and try it since its a brand new tank.
  17. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's an excellent idea. Would be an even better idea if someone made the damn thing! There have been teasers, but that's about it. One from an XR650R could be made to fit.
  18. XR650L_Dave

XR650L_Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's much easier if you file the tab off the bowl and leave the nice handle on the screw.
  19. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:

Ummmmmmmm...just one that i can think of........

:hide

B
  20. techforlife

techforlife CDI REPAIR

Oddometer:
    Some can be a bunch of babies if you tell them something and they don`t like it....like the guy sticking the XR600R head gasket on the XRL....and thinking silicone will seal the head gasket leak...i just offer advise,,if they don`t wanna hear it i ignore the thread after,,

But there are some decent guys on there,,most have left after TT screwed up the forum,,it`s slow,too much advertising,,and 1/2 the time you want to post something the site is down...they need to get off their butts and do something there,,they are all about money and advertising though...gotta make money to stay arround i suppose..

B