2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by grunkster, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chuffa

Chuffa TR650 Terra

Oddometer:
    So they've got a shed load of bikes they want to sell instead of adding more to the collection. Makes sense.

The Terra & Strada can still be assembled in India no?

Restructure to cut costs. Pick bikes that will sell. Sell them. Profit.

I think the Terra/Strada is a winner but I'm biased. I've got mine :clap
  2. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3

Just buy a 2nd one on clearance, and you'll always have "spares".

HF :thumb
  3. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    I am already getting close to 4k miles on mine. All I'm saying is some of us are getting tired of the constant debating about whats going to happen. It doesn't matter who is right or who is wrong, this isn't a debate to win. And none of us can do anything about what will happen to the TR650.

Let's move on to some other discussion.

You people are like a bunch of lunatics screaming about the sky falling. :becca :becca :becca If you don't want to buy a Terra, don't buy it. If you want to get one while you still can, go buy it and ride the piss out of it. And post up pictures of yourself enjoying it, working on it, putting on farkles, etc, so this thread can grow into what its supposed to be instead of some CNN/FOX news style bulls***.
  4. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny I feel the same way with posters pulling facts out of their ass to prove it will be business as usual. At least I attach where and who my source is.

I have NEVER said don't buy it. I don't think it is for every one. All you need to do is read some of the questions and it will dawn on you, not everyone has the mechanical skills to keep an orphan bike running, if it comes to that.

The average reader rarely goes beyond a page or 2. I don't post everyday like some of you.

You want to keep me from posting? Tell us how great your bike is without all the sanctimonious whining.
  5. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    You seem upset...

Let me try to talk you down off the cliff, cause this might be my fault: I have no idea if, or how many times this topic has been breached in this or any other thread. Searches here at ADVRider are cumbersome at best. If it is indeed a re-occurring topic, then perhaps where there's smoke there's fire?

I still am interested in this bike - have been since I saw the first new product announcements - and my very first fears when the Husqvarna sale was announced was, "Oh Crap...what's gonna happen with the Terra? They just hit this home run...and now this!".

I read closely the comments made in the interviews of Stephan Perrire (how ever that's spelled), looking for some good news about this particular bike and found nothing. So I came here, to where the real hands on experts reside wondering if perhaps ya'll had some inside skinny from the dealers themselves...or something. Anything.

Instead I got you. Dude...because I care: Calm The Fuck Down.

As a former Ducati (3) and KTM 950 (2) owner, and one who lives near NO euro bike dealers of any stripe, needless to say I am not the least bit afraid of maintaining my own rigs. But you didn't ask, you assumed...and look what happened! :D

My interest in this topic was piqued by Ari Henning's comments in the latest extremely favorable test of the Terra in Motorcyclist Magazine, where in spite of how wonderful the bike is, he expressed the same concerns. There's that smoke again.
  6. Surfinpig

Surfinpig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all, just participating in the tread so it's easier to pull up. I was at the dealer today and pick up my terra Thursday! She is still in the crate. Does any one have any links to a bigger windscreen? And any one have opinions on crash bars/skid plates? Altrider vs oem?
  7. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    you guys realize that August is holiday month for most Italians... so if they're going to let the supply chain dwindle and slow / stop production to let warehouse populations get snapped up....that's a good month to do it.
  8. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In fact there are half a dozen Italian news reports. Most of the sources are from union and employee groups and the translation is poor.

If you wade through and find the common denominators, they basically say they have been told they are shutting the factory 8-1. They are laying off 200 employees with a 1 year severance package. They are keeping 30-40 employees to run a central sales facility in its place? That is not a summer break. You can guess as well as I where the new Husqvarna's will be made

If you go back a month and look at what Pierer said to the factory employees it should not have caused readers think it was going to be business as usual.

The only promise was, there was no immediate plan to close the factory. 5 months is not immediate. He then said something I thought odd. He promised to keep the parts supply available for 10 years. Does that sound like business as usual?

Selling motorcycles is business like any other. Its purpose is to make money. Union wages/benefits in Italy are not cheap compared to other countries. Go back and look at his business plan. Spread the parts over a range of bikes. It should be obvious. But it is pointless to keep discussing it.

You folks are adults, do what you want.
  9. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. That is optimistic to me.

1] Pierer was not going to have duplicate labor anyway and will welcome that. The KTM wrenches will walk right in the next day and take up production, no shipments missed (this really helps slim the company down for better value to the customers.

2] This is especially cool since those were the changes I was going to do with my 97F650 was to put a forged AL piston in and a high lift short duration cam for gobs of midrange. So if those are the only difference, then I'm fine.

My concern is I DEMAND the BMW sleeved main bearing for reliability and longevity. So the Strada seems perfect. It was the UNKNOWN that freaked me out. THANK YOU GREATLY!

3] Pierer's word is good enough for me. I just never saw that in all the repeated reports I saw. Pierer didn't get where he is by lying. Honor and integrity goes with top Euro motorcycle company especially in Europe with their rich history and culture.

But as in 2], I'm fine even if they do stop it. BMW knows the test software and hardware, lol. Even so, I'd rather have a Delorto carb anyway. I was prepared to do the same exact changes myself, and this may be the only efi bike that I'd buy. I'm sure it isn't perfect, but it is close enough for me not to wait any longer.

I was prepared to wait until 2067 the next 70 cycle for the good deal hot bikes to come, but I guess this time I was lucky. Great thread and great people here. Thanks for allowing me to ask stupid questions. I'm an engineer and we always try to find experts to tell us what to do, lol.

Regards!!
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fresh from my Dealer. "Husqvarna sale, as much as $2,500 off with 3.99% financing. When the inventories are gone, so are the sales."
  11. SocalRob

SocalRob Super Moderator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    rride,

Not sure how tounge in cheek your last post was, but I have a deposit on a Strada out at Berts MegaMall.

I have a couple of weeks to make a final decision. The Strada is mostly going to be a light Adv bike for my son (would be his first street bike, pretty exciting) so we can get out on some trips. Both of us are quite taken with the Strada on performance, build, and style. The front end especially looks to be much nicer suspended than the Sertao, and no worries about the widowmaker BMW forks.

My biggest concern reading CafeHusky.com is that the Husky only dealers seem pretty confused by the BMW Moss diagonostics/ECU flashing tool. Something about a password that times out if the tool is not used on a regular basis, and it takes a full week to get the password reset. I figure BMW dealers are more adept at this stuff, so I called up Long Beach BMW and talked to their service department. Long Beach BMW claims they are going to remain a Husky dealer, new about the software map that fixes stalling issues with these bikes, and were eager for my business. The service manager thought it would be advantages to have the bike serviced there as so many BMW parts fit. There is also a Husky dealer out in Banning that sounds very knowledable about the Moss tool. And who knows, maybe Berts will surprise me and be a great service dealer.

So all in all, I am pretty jazzed about the Strada. Looks like a fantastik bike for the price. I'm at about $7,500 OTD, including CA registration and all taxes. I may be wrong, but I think thats KLR territory, and the Strada has Brembo ABS brakes to boot. I may ask Long Beach for a quote, and maybe the big Power Sports Husky dealer in Moorpark too. But it is nice knowing I have a Strada locked up at Berts.

There are already venders with skid plates, crash bars, hard and soft bags, seats, heated grips, hand guards, pretty much you name it. If we want to get a bit spendy, there are some really good looking hard cases (Zega?) on Tourtech's site. I think I see a good solution for a weld on steering damper. I think this bike is going to be really great to set up and ride. Whats not to like?
  12. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

May I ask for the link(s) you talked about that indicated the differences between the Strada/Terra engine and the G650?

Thanks Gratefully!
  13. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    You got it brother! It's the first bike that I'm sold on since my 97 F650 ST, about the first one off the boat from Europe in 1997 for sale.

The second link when I first posted had a $6K price tag for sale. They do Honda's too, so if I can get a $2K for my NH 750, sold! I paid $2100 for a 14K mile bike about 2 months ago and have just been riding to school and back 2.5 miles away. It's a jewel, but it's heavy and its a Honda, lol.

These bikes are steals, and this looks like a great thread with hands on experts to help us get going. You are not going to beat the $6K price, and with CA bite me taxes and a centerstand (minimum), that looks about right.

The only other thing we will need other than crash bars (safety first!) that I can see (what I put on any bike, usually Beamers) is:

1. a Parabellum wind shield - world record motorcycle speed records vendor for cheap (about $150). I get a 4" extension to tall screen for a 6' rider and 2" wider to reduce ear shattering air wind noise (you just duck a little for perfect quiet and jet stream).

2. a long stiff mudflap on front fender as close to the ground as possible (a few inches) to knock nails down set up from front tire that the rear tire runs over (99.9% of all flats is rear tire - BMW dealer secret).

3. Dual small electric horns that sound like air horns (about $40).

The handguards intersect with a good coverage windshield and that comes first: wind noise and body fatigue - wear good gloves instead, the protectors are more psychological for road riders. Get you and your son a good textile riding jacket with pads so you can pull the pads out and wash it (very comfortable and makes you look healthy, lol).

You're done! The bike looks impressive and there are Husky dealers all around us. Around LA/Long Beach has some big multi bike dealers with BMW, Honda, and more. They ran all the Honda dealers out of surrounding counties including Orange County. So we don't need to go far and shouldn't need to often. I am going to have to do some shuffling, but this is an opportunity I'm not going to let slide.

Let's see what we can cook up! Husky NA is about 30 miles east too. You're right though, we just need a dual BMW (specifically) and Husky dealer which most are anyway. Hopefully, we won't need them except for parts though. I think BMW will throw a safety net to us, since they have pride when they do something right like this model.

:-)

14. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sale was an Email I just got from the dealer, Cycle Specialties in Modesto. When I last checked with him they had 1 demonstrator Terra and 3 new Strada's. I talked to them about the Moss unit. All I got was it was troublesome. But they use it not only for the Husky but all the BMW bikes, so something they would keep. I am not sure how it works, it sounds like they use it via land line to BMW in Germany.:hmmmmm

What ever software is on the Huskey, it can't be as complicated as some of the BMW bikes with Canbus. If some one can program a gs911 there must be an aftermarket solution.

The differences between the G650 and Huskey are listed in a lot of the online magazines, some where in a past post I gave a reference.

They are a forged aluminum high compression pistion with a 12.3 cr. The valves are 2mm larger. Hotter cams. Either a different head or a modified head that has had some work on the contour of the combustion chamber. Smaller spark plugs. Magneti Marcelli FI vs Bosch.

Those are significant changes from a G650. A bike with that CR usually has cams that have a lot of overlap/duration to prevent detonation and requires a different ignition advance. So not quite interchangeable.
  15. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...but undoubtedly you will continue to discuss it. Also, thanks for reminding us we're adults and can do what we want.

I can't figure why you still follow this thread, you're already sufficiently on record to come back and say "I told you so" when they quit producing the bike someday.

16. Nev..

Nev.. wannabe advrider

Oddometer:
    A few Terra owners on advrider and cafehusky have made homemade screens out of buckets for a few bucks. I have the OEM screen on mine. Its a neat fit and looks good. It doesn't look that tall, but the turned up lip at the top does a good job of deflecting the wind, and doesn't cause buffetting or turbulance behind it. The only downside is probably the price (but if you ask for the price of the OEM heated grips in comparison the screen is cheap). It can be a bit distracting at night when the light from the headlight hitting the bottom of the screen causes a neon effect across the top of the screen. I found a bit of black tape over the bottom of the screen solved that. I'll probably remove the tape and just paint the base of the screen black to overcome that which will be a bit neater than the tape I have there now.
  17. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    no shit....I just put this whole thread on ignore until he takes a hike.
  18. kjackbrown

kjackbrown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice! My Terra was a little over $7300 OTD about two months ago.
  19. rride

rride Honda NH 750

Oddometer:
    What was your base price? This is $5999 for the Strada (what he was talking about I believe) and $500 less for the Terra ($5499). He was estimating tangent costs as well. You are the expert, so tell us. Was your base price $7300 or did that include any DMV registration and tax too?

Thanks!!
  20. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    Mine was 7850@ out the door, with a 6700 selling price. Sure would like it for a $1000 or so less, but I wouldn't like it any better! MSRP is fair on this bike ---