Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rain delayed today, but I'm heading out tomorrow bright and early.

Ride Details:

Leave Columbus Thursday Morning; head south east on 33 and 50. Take Middle Mountain Rd and Back Mountain Rd South, eventually turning a bit west and ending at a free national park campground near the New River Gorge Bridge at the bottom of West Virginia.

Friday morning ziggy-zaggy south on state routes and small roads, ending at the families place in Greenville, SC, hopefully early afternoon.

Saturday and Sunday stay with the family in Greenville, SC

Monday morning head west into the Smokey Mountains. Do one loop of good roads there, and continue west on the Cherahola Skyway to Chattanooga. Stay with a motorcycle friend Monday night in Chattanooga.

Tuesday, head west on small roads to the Mississippi River, Stay at a free primitive campground on the River, south of Memphis; Lone Pine Campground in the St Francis National Forest.

Wednesday, keep heading west on small roads to a Zach and Carries place in Texas, north of Dallas.

Thursday, turn north on small roads into the Ozark Mountains to the very corner of Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma; where I’ll pickup historic Route 66.

Follow Route 66 to St. Louis, where I’ll stare at the arch a bit, and pickup Route 40, which I’ll take all the way home.

(Thursday and Friday nights are not planned, I’ll either throw the tent up somewhere when it’s time, or more preferably, find some cool old Route 66 motel to stay for cheap.) I anticipate being home Saturday… but who knows!

SPOT will go live tomorrow morning: http://mikef5000.whereamiriding.com/

I'll post if I can. Talk to you all later!
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->
  2. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Back Mountain road between Cass and Marlington? Nice road!
  3. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for Perry SF or Wayne NF this weekend? :ear
  4. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
  5. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Or Tar Hollow? I may head down there and explore too. ;)
  6. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got the Trick Dual Sport kit for the 450EXC and installed it tonight. I've read of people installing them in "an hour or two". I must be slow, it took me 5, but I'm kind of picky about that stuff. :D
    I upgraded the stator to a custom wound Trick unit, upgraded to a larger Ah battery, and converted to bike to all DC. IIRC it's like a 200W stator. Installed a KTM fan kit, too. Also swapped out the diamond shaped headlight for a rectangle unit, but its not the stock KTM one. Makes it look like an 04, but it has pretty good light output.
    Now I just need to transfer the title & sign the affidavit to get some tags. It has signals, a horn, & all the good stuff (except DOT tires). :clap
    Any of you guys add keys or a hidden kill switch? That's the only thing I feel I'm missing.
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Have fun man!
  8. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Ohio doesn't have a DOT tire requirement, FYI, only a tread depth requirement.
  9. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I had a fuse blow out on the WR last night. The one for the turn signals. The dash went out too but it stayed running until I turned it off. It wouldn't start after I turned it off though. I replaced the fuse and everything seems fine. Not sure why it blew out though. I checked the wires and none looked frayed or anything...:huh
  10. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. BigOhio

BigOhio Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you are set. Didn't add the key switch or anything to mine either. I figure if someone wants it there is probably more chance that they are just going to throw it into a pickup and take off and usually when riding the KTM, I never stray too far from it.
  12. invisible monster

invisible monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wr250f has the Baja Designs dual sport kit with an ignition switch and key. It's really more of a pita than it is worth as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't worry about adding a key or hidden switch if it was me.
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    +1 to that, most thefts are "push or carry this thing to a loading spot" rather than jump on it and start it.
  14. r-3350

r-3350 A.K.A. Carl

Oddometer:
    By the way Mark, How is the repair going on your Tenere?
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Not sure... I know they had to get a part or parts from Japan. I haven't called to check since gettng that info, it'll get done when it gets done I expect.
  16. GregsBro

GregsBro a.k.a. Scott

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thought some of you all would like this.
    Don't know whose bike this is, someone on day shift at work. The cases and bike rack are all home built. The guy rides to work in all sorts of weather.
  17. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Meef could run the plate for you and find out who he is...lol
  18. ArmyJoe

ArmyJoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there any real advantage to beveling that outside bottom side? Can anyone get that low in a lean?
  19. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    You don't want them to hit before your peg does. Your peg isn't fixed and will warn you that you're about to low side. :eek1
  20. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Bump for riding Perry SF/Wayne NF/Tar Hollow/or off-road somewhere else this weekend? :ear