SV1000n, Poor man's Tuono?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GuinnesS, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh yea, forgot to add.....This referance to poor mans Tauno or Ducati realy urkes me...I could afford what ever I want and I choose the SV. I can use it ubuse it and rack up tens of thousands of miles on it and it will never leave me stranded. All of the Euros have and more than once. In this day and age that to me is just not acceptable especialy when paying premium on top.
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Does that put you in a bolt upright position. The photos make it look like you still have a fair forward lean.
  3. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    The SV really doesn't give up much to the Tuono. The peak power is about 8hp down, but the mid is actually a touch stronger (and it takes very well to tweeking). The suspension is not as advanced (but still not half bad), but you can buy a good aftermarket shock and different set of forks pretty cheap. I don't care for the styling of the SV, but that's a matter of taste I suppose. Although an SV isn't quite as strong as a TL, my TL at the last dyno day out performed a pair of Tuonos and a 998 (and my TL is old and has lots of miles). The SV has the same basic engine configuration, just dumbed down a touch.

IMHO the SV1k is a really under-rated bike and an excelent value. It is hard to find anything more fun to ride on the street than a good running, 90 deg liter twin:D
  4. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a 1st Gen SV650, you can tell by the frame design, tank design, lack of an oil cooler and cylinder head design. It does look great though:clap

There are also quite a few TLS's running around with SSAs and similar modifications.
  5. Dalmatino

Oddometer:

You're absolutely right....I had a 97 TLS and after full dyno tuning with full M4 and K&N filter it made 124.9 hp at wheel...It was the most fun street bike I've ever owned which was also stolen from me.
    Having said that the SV is a much better and easier handling bike with a real flat torque curve all the way across. My first 03 with full M4 2 in 1 and air box mods made 118 at wheel. It never felt real fast till I was playing with other bikes than it would always suprise me.

I'm in process just today in bolting up a full Ti-Force 2 in 2 exhaust system along with BMC and couple small air box mods. Will know the dyno #'rs later this week sometime. I also got a complete 06 GSXR 1k front forks reworked by Jim Lindeman and a Elka 3 way rear that is going on today also.
    I also agree that it doesnt have a gread sex apeal of the 07 tls or many other bikes even thought I do like the looks of it. Not that it's important to me, but odly enough i got more complements on this bike from women than anything else I've owned. It just might be a fluke :).

How the hell does one post pics here...why cant it be as simple as some other forums?
  6. rhys

rhys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found myself struggling between an '08 Bandit 1250 or a great deal on a new '07 SV1000. I really really like big two cylinders. The dealership offered to pay for and install Heli Bars on the beautiful blue SV, I would have considered a center-stand, pipes a MUST HAVE, and with the addition of a Ventura Rack System.... I woulda been good to go!

But I decided on the boring 1255cc inline four instead, so that I might be more inclined to behave. And no regrets these last 9,000 miles.....!

I have been VERY close to buying a used naked 2003, but there has been something about the stylings of SV's (650, SV, and SV'S') that is just too Japanese "Transformers" for me....
    But if a steal of a "deal" were to come my way, I would likely borrow money (that I don't have) for one of those GREAT 1,000cc SV's! I like 'em!
  7. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    i hear that, i chose to buy my sv1000 i didn't want a ducati . i didn't settle for less i got what i wanted
  8. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal
  9. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1993 VFR750 SSSA to fit on a 2003 SV650 with a 2001 GSXR-1000 rear shock:
    1. Remove 2mm of material from the right pivot boss on the frame.
    2. Create a 43mm spacer for the front sprocket.
    3. Reroute the rear exhaust header to clear the SSSA.
    4. Mount the Stock SV suspension link on the VFR Swingarm
    5. Use shortened dogbones.
    6. Use extra long bolts and spacers to mount the dogbones to the frame and suspension link and compensate for misalignment.
    7. Remove material from the top of the left dogbone to allow it to pivot more w/o interference with the frame.
  10. GuinnesS

GuinnesS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you think this would still work on gen 2 frames?
  11. Dalmatino

Oddometer:
    Fair enough :)....Actualy I wasnt totaly refering to your coment, it's just that I constantly hear about poor man's Ducati from many people...I'd like to refer to it as smart mans Ducati:rofl
    Get one you will love it.
  12. Audacious Nick

Audacious Nick Forever indecisive

Oddometer:
    I promise you, it's not the swingarm doing that bike the justice. It could have the stock arm and look just as good.
  13. Mexi-can't

Mexi-can't Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. aks801

aks801 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about just getting the SV1000S, then fitting a conventional bar up top (possibly need risers?) instead of the standard clip-ons. No leaning over, you might like the benefit of the mini-fairing up front. If footpegs too high, surely there's a ready mod to lower them a bit. Seems you'd end up with a heck of an S/T.
  15. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Heli-bars don't offer appreciable relief in my opinion. Range is not great for dedicated sport touring either. I had one that I hoped would make a good touring mount, but I never completely acclimated to it. I love that damn motor and that sweet thudding sound it makes with good pipes. The windscreen does a good job of knocking air off the torso. The double bubble is even better. Wind management is fine overall. Another gallon of fual capacity and another inch up and back with the bars would have made it my life long love.
  16. xteacher

xteacher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had Heli bars on my Honda XX. They were certainly better than stock but don't offer enough relief. These are really good, though they are a little pricey. They are offered for a lot of different models. http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
  17. Rich Dubbya

Rich Dubbya Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer:
    Late on this one .

Poor man's Tuono ? Na. More like brand new naked TL .
  18. Bunny Wigglesworth

Bunny Wigglesworth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a beautiful blue SV1000n 2003. Great great bike. Wish I still had it, and thinking of finding another 2003 to add back to my stable.
  19. yellowbirdrs

yellowbirdrs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the owner this is a 2003 SV650S so it is a 2nd gen. but for me lloks like 1st. gen frame no oil cooler and the side (fairing/body side panels)
  20. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club.

Oddometer:
    You should ride a tuono before you decide.

The SV is a nice bike, I like the looks and I had a V-Strom, nice engine.

No comparison to a tuono, sorry. Especially in the suspension.