Tiger XC accessories / farkles thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Xcountry-Rider, Nov 4, 2012.

1. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy with the centerstand and the sump gaurd. Heated grips seem to be weak from what Ive read. Have no use for fog lights. Have a givi 6401dt on order for the screen.

edit, happy with the HT crash bars also.
  2. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    i am a freak when it comes to finding the best gear. i research and research before i buy anything. also if i'm not happy i take it off and move on. i'm not going to talk about bags because there are so many different needs when it comes to that. obviously it's subjective so, here is my opinion with some pictures...

happy trails frame/ engine guards. very protective and tough. a bitch to install but worth the hassle. they protect the radiator. also the guys at happy trails are very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    triumph skid plate is only OK. i would stay away from anything with rivets. they are weak and will crumple. alt rider is probably the best skid plate out there. i will be replacing my triumph plate this summer with the alt rider. mine has been through hell and back. its all bent up. here is a pic from when it was in OK shape.
    [​IMG]
    rigid industries are by far the best fog lights on the market. between the price and quality the rock. they are also very bright!!! i used the stock triumph fog light switch to control.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    i chose to mount my gps to the touratech adjustable gps mount. its pricy but the value of having the gps high up and in good sight is important to me. pic above.

and XC anti vibe risers.

i obviously have more shit on my bike but the rest of the stuff isn't necessarily better than anything else. everything i've stated above is in my opinion, the best parts on the market...
  3. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    fbj913, I had not seen pics of the HT bars yet... Look like good protection, even if a little awkward looking.

What headlight guard do you have?
  4. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    touratech headlight guard. i'm not a huge fan of it. the only reason i chose it is because it is a quick disconnect. it glares back at you a bit at night. i altered it with some tape as you can kind of see in the top corners...
  5. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I have (on my Roadie though):

Triumph Engine Guards

As I have not dropped the bike yet, I don't know how well they work, but it looks like they would do the job for me. The Happy Trails are just too frigging massive, I don't like their looks.

Triumph Gel Seat

Didn't work for me, took it off and sold it. I'll be getting a Kahedo seat from Germany next year.

Triumph Heated Grips

Worth the money I guess, but I haven't installed mine yet. Living in California does have advantages ...

Fender Extender Front

Well worth it in my opinion. I just hate that manufacturers can't build proper fenders anymore because they build it for looks, not for function.

Bark Buster Storm Handguards

Don't even bother with the flimsy and small OEM handguards. Not worth the plastic they are made of.

Jesse Odyssey Luggage

Mixed bag. They aren't bad, but they aren't worth the money. They are better and bigger than the OEMs, but the mount is very likely not drop-proof, the powder coating is fairly soft and rubs off easily, the locks aren't even remotely safe. They aren't too wide (97cm with OEM exhaust), and offer a lot of space. The space in the lid is actually kind of handy for gear you normally don't need but want to keep at hand.

Next time I'd go with the Caribou. Not as nice looking, but way less expensive and more rugged.

Altrider Rear Rack

Works great for me with the Givi mounting hardware and a Givi topcase. I'll likely mount a Pelican sooner or later to carry our photo gear.

Traxxion AK-20 Front Suspension

For me: well worth it. Whether it's worth the very steep price for you, don't know. I love the new suspension and will do the rear in December when I'm back to riding. Rear will likely be a Penske setup to match the same riding style as the front.

XC Risers

Not for you as you have an XC, but a lot of people still add risers. I'll try and add additional 20mm risers soon, but I plain don't like the Rox double clamp concept.

Palmer Large Windshield

I liked the mounting much more than the Madstad, though I believe the Madstad is actually the more efficient windshield. The Palmer works great for me though, I might experiment with a little MRA clamp on spoiler but right now, haven't gotten that far.

Rear Hugger

I have one from Pyramid which first didn't fit properly, I made it work somehow, but then it broke. POS in my opinion. Bad mounting. I might try an R&G hugger at some point, though I think it's way too expensive for what it is.

What I did NOT do (and why):

- Additional lights: the Tiger has great headlights, no need for additional lights so far

- Bashplate: I don't ride the Tiger where I would need one.

- Headlight guard: makes no sense restricting the light output and then adding additional lights. I would use one if I rode lots of gravel roads though.

- Fancy GPS Mount: I use a simple RAM ball as one of the handlebar clamp bolts. Works great for me.
  6. MuddySump

MuddySump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Man those happy trails bars are HUGE!!

All triumph parts on mine apart from sw motech gps mount. Nice mount but maybe a bit low and will block the speedo when i fit rox risers.

Fitted heated grips before i rode 6 hours to wales this month and my hands stayed warm, have had hotter grips in the past where i had to keep turning them off to cool down a bit :)
    No issues with parts but bikes never been down yet

[​IMG]

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
  7. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like HT stuff. Have their SU rack for my side cases. Those crash protection bars sure aint pretty - but can see their value for protecting all the parts, including turn signals. The Triumph bars, I think, are more aesthetically pleasing - but can tell you from experience - while they protect engine / trans just fine - but... if you have much forward speed on at "touch down" they do NOT protect radiator or turn signals. (BTW - turn signals are $50 ea)
  8. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are the OEM heated grips really worth it instead of aftermarket? They seem pretty pricey compared to what you'd find elsewhere.
  9. MuddySump

MuddySump Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got them to keep it tidy and there is a connector block under the tank for them.

There are cheaper and hotter grips out there
  10. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    The triumph engine guards work, but I'll be adding the touratech upper bars. They sell them in black (part #420-5161). My only get-off was pretty violent & shifted the radiator enough to brake the mounting tab. I still need to get it welded. You can see the crack in this pic.

[​IMG]

P.S. I wish Capitol Sports was located down here. Lucky bastard. :deal
  11. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Hey Rob.... I told Wayne I had been quizzing you for advice on Tiger. He said he had been meaning to call you and see how you were doing. :D

sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
  12. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    What about GPS mounts? On my Wee, I liked having it dead center above the dash... Anyone make one for the XC? (Zumo 660)
  13. Rob Dirt

Oddometer:
    from the post above

[​IMG]
  14. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Sorry... reading forum on phone.. :D

15. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Triumph nerf bars around the engine and recently dumped mine in the driveway mounting up and catching my boot on the pannier. There was not a scratch on the engine or tank, a tiny scuff on the bar handguard and the other contact point was my pannier. I had just put on some protective pucks on the front axle ends, and they got a slight scuffing do they certainly protect the ends of the forks.

I also put on a set of neoprene fork seal protectors. Very cheap insurance that might prevent a tour ending malfunction.

I replace the plastic skid plate with a triumph branded item, it looks as good and as sturdy as any other ones I've seen.

I have installed the Triumph centerstand, the new model with improved spring. It was a real booger to install untill I figured out I had to take out the evaporative charcoal canister from beneath the engine first. Piece of cake after that, it works just fine.

I have theTriumph heated grips. I bought the bike used and they were already on it. I'd never considered heated grips on a previous bike I've owned, but they are really nice to have. I'd put them on my essential item list for any future touring bikes I get.

Some more cheap insurance is a couple of protective spools for the swingarm to protect it if you go down. The mounts are already in the swingarm, and they do double duty to lift the bike with a rear paddock stand if you don't have a centerstand.

I don't care at all for the Triumph branded panniers or top trunk. I think the aftermarket has much better options and there a good thread going on in here about those options for the 800XC.

The Triumph gel seat is a big improvement in comfort too, though the stocker is not bad at all compared to a lot of other bikes.

If you're over 5'8 or so, you'll find a set of bar risers more comfortable, especially for riding on the pegs standing in the dirt. I have the ROX solid, not the anti vibes. Vibes are so minimal on the bike that hand or finger tingling is a non issue.

The front fender extension is a cheap and useful item that will keep mud out of the radiator and get a lot less of it on the pipes.

One last thing, mine came with the factory high adjustable windscreen on it. It had a lot of helmet buffeting and noise in any position I tried it in. I installed a MadStad Engineering shield and it is by far the best windscreen I've had on any bike. I liked it so much I put that ugly sucker on my Harley Road Glide too. It is eerily quiet and still behind that screen, I can ride shield up on the freeway at 70-80 with no problems at all.
  16. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    Well put.
  17. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    I like th triumph accessories myself. The are good quality and go with the bike. Looks at lots of mods and after market stuff on here and some folks seem to have went out of there way to uglify there bikes.

Heated Grips -Recommend
    Fog Lights - Recommend
    Grill Guard- Recommend
    Bash Plate-Recommend
    Center Stand-Recommend
    Cases- Don't Recommend
    Crash Bars- Recommend
    Looking at getting the foot pegs
  18. backwoodsKLR

Oddometer:
    Pulled the trigger last night and got factory sump guard, engine bars, heated grips, and fog lights, to start with. The factory fender extension has been pulled and no longer available, so I'll be looking aftermarket for one. Thanks for all the info and advice.

19. rustynut2

rustynut2 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Rob Dirt

Oddometer:
    BW, are you going to change your name? What color XC are you buying?
    I'm excited for you. Don't forget to get Wayne to lube the stepper motor.