The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. DominoTree

DominoTree EX250 Warrior

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend some "appropriate" saddlebags and tail bag to go with the Happy Trail OSR side racks and tubular tail rack? Been eyeing the Wolfman Expedition stuff. Does anyone have any experience with them on our bikes?
  2. LisaS

LisaS Dubious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would say hi here.
    I had a 1995xt225 a few years ago and ended up selling it and have since regretted it.
    [​IMG]

Last week this followed me home from southern Maine:clap:clap:clap:clap:D:D:D:
    [​IMG]

Its the 2007 model. Planning to work on some modifications this winter and can't wait to ride it once the weather gets a bit warmer (negative 1F here this morning:vardy)
  3. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    LisaS, woot!

Her post got me thinking about the mighty XT225's run over the model years. It occurred to me there should be a Wiki page. Then I checked and by golly somebody did stub one out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_XT_225

I'm thinking we could flesh out that page. The color scheme changed just about every model year so a set of such pix might be a nice contribution. Visitors might also appreciate a link to this thread and other forums. I'll put it on my to-do list. Any other takers? :evil
  4. DerekC

DerekC n00b

Oddometer:
    Are there any triple trees and larger forks that are a direct bolt on to the XT225. Or, a set that might fit with slight modifications?
  5. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    By far the easiest and best upgrade is .42 springs and cartridge emulators with 15w fluid. I think ever heavier springs are available too. :evil
    I think offroad.com did a yz fork swap on a ttr230 which is pretty much the same bike.
  6. dav_dman

dav_dman old guy tryin' to stay young on a bike

Oddometer:
    spring upgrade is great , did one, but i'd like LONGER forks so thanks for the info on the yz..will go take a look.

update/edit, took a look: thx dude, here's some good stuff i found jus from google your yz suggestion,

xt225 upgrades http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/project-foo-fighter-2007-yamaha-xt225-build-part-4-52573.html

fork swaps http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17555
  7. DerekC

DerekC n00b

Oddometer:
    Yes, thanks for the info. That's something I may look into. For anyone else that may be interested, here is the info on the swap:
    http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/project1565.html
  8. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Lisa, I had a 1992 XT225 for many years and many, many miles. A great, super-dependable bike but I started worrying about the miles I had on it. It was either do a complete rebuild or find one with fewer miles. As luck would have it, shortly thereafter I found a 2007 with only 247 miles on the odometer and sold the 1992. Now, I live at 4400 feet in elevation and most of my riding starts there and goes up to around 12,000 feet - so I was surprised to find how lean the 2007 ran, even at those altitudes. If whoever owned that bike before you did has not done it yet, you might want to read up on what it takes (pretty simple fix, really) to rejet the carburetor and have it run like it should. Lots of good information on this site and over on XT225.com.
  9. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    LisaS, inquiring minds want a closer look at that front wheel. :evil
  10. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

OK, I know I have asked similar/same Q in past but given your experience above I am going to be bold and ask anyway. What jet size(s) did you use and did you do any intake or exhaust mods? Did you do the pilot screw adjustment or shim the jet needle also? Opinions on these are all over the place, some earlier posts in this thread indicate the bike becomes un-rideable with even only pilot jet up one size to 42.5. Other posts indicate that larger jet(s) prevent proper atomization of fuel, some even used smaller than stock main jets when opening the intake and exhaust flow (that one certainly doesn’t make any sense). I plan on working on the carb today or tomorrow and for sure will do the pilot screw adjustment but keep going back and forth about jet changes. I bought one size larger main and pilot jets for an ‘06 and the bike will be ridden from essentially sea level to maybe 6,000 to 8,000 elevations so I would greatly value your opinion. I don’t plan on doing the exhaust or snorkel mods or drilling the air box. At most I will change the filter element to a unifilter but I doubt that that makes much difference compared to stock.
  11. GlennF33

GlennF33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would start out just doing the 3 turn out on the fuel screw. If you are not going to open the exhaust or modify the snorkel, the stock jetting may be OK. I have the 3 turn out, Z1 exhaust mod, UNI filter, 42.5 pilot and 130 main. Snorkel has the bottom section cut off and I added (2) 1" UNI filter plugs to the side of the airbox. Runs perfect at our 1200' altitude.

As I said, do one thing at a time.
  12. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
  13. shoein

shoein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey CamperBob. Went out in the shop and looked at the front tire of Lisa's new xt. Looks like a stock rim with a worn out tire to me. The new parts are starting to roll in. New jets, tires, fenders, bars, handguards, tail light, turn signals, pegs are a few of the mods.
  14. KamperBob

Oddometer:
    Musta been an optical illusion. The tread pattern looked like maybe some kind of studs or chains or somesuch for riding on that white frozen stuff featured so prominently in the pic.
    [​IMG]

Have fun getting 'er ready for when it melts. :D

Bob
  15. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Took the XT out for about a 70 mile loop on back roads in Litchfield Cty CT. About 30deg F., but thanks to Mr.gerbings, very manageable. Just had to remember to pull the plug about 5 miles before I stopped to recharge the battery.

Great to be out, and the XT was running wonderfully. I think it loves the cold weather. :lol3
  17. deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    After reading several posts regarding carb mods over on XT225.com, I went with a 42.5 pilot and 130 main. One washer shim under the needle jet, and 2.5 turns out on the pilot screw worked best on my bike. These mods made all the difference in the world to my bike - it runs cooler and doesn't backfire nearly as much when I back off the throttle. Runs great at all altitudes and in all rpm ranges. it might be my imagination but now when I use my 16t countershaft sprocket it seems like I can hold 6th gear longer going up hills.
  18. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks! Is the rest of your bike stock or did you change/open up the intake and/or exhaust? I don't want a louder bike so I don't plan on changes to the snorkel/intake or exhaust.
  19. deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    Intake and exhaust completely stock. The older I get the more I can't stand noise. Quiet as the XT225 is, in the last couple years I pretty much always use foam earplugs when riding (and that's even with a Bell helmet that clamps tightly around my ears).
  20. BroncoDave

BroncoDave Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the charging output of an 01 225. I have gerbing gear that I use on my other bike that I didn't think it would work on the little bike. I see someone else here used it on the 225 and was curious what I could get away with.