Tuareg Rallye 2010-Shed to Sahara and back again!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by ManxBerg, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Kieran! Looking forward to your story as well! :clap

Thanks very much for sharing! Sorry to hear about your accident. It must have been quite a fall if you dont remember much! Good think you are ok, get well soon!
  2. c.herman126

c.herman126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the updates! :clap The riders all deserve a lot of credit for entering and getting themselves to the rally. Looking forward to hearing more! :D
  3. cello

cello Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aye good to hear your back in one piece, but sounds like you had one hell of an adventure.

Not sure if it was my PC but the Tuareg guys did a piss poor job of updating their website re the results. If I was a sponsor I would have expected a hour by hour update so I could see how my team was doing. If they cant sort this out then its a lost opportunity and makes the whole event look amateurish and secondrate.

Thanks to the Swedes for the commentary and cant wait to hear how your story........
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    I think traditionally the Tuareg Rally has been rather sketchy with updating their website once the event is running - but it is kind of all-hands-to-the-deck with the staff when actually administering the event itself (never mind manning all the associated check points and the medical teams) - and this year they had more riders/entries than ever...

That said, as you point out, it is increasingly important to have someone in charge of 'media' on these sorts of events... it is not impossible to upload at least the daily scores, plus perhaps a short summary of the day's events in a few seconds via mobile or satellite phone - and I'm sure the hotel in Merzouga they use has an internet connection these days...

Obviously those 'teams' who may have sponsor commitments, can make their own arrangements via mobile phone (ah, the wonder of the iphone) these days - and certainly on Heroes-Legend, the Austrian team with us spend time each evening downloading photos and video, and updating their website service back home... and they were also riders!

It is perhaps something the competitors ought to suggest (via their service teams perhaps) to the organisation for next year?

J xx

ps. I'd like to point out that is not me offering my services, oh, actually, on second thoughts... I quite fancy a week in southern Morocco next March!
  5. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my hand plastered in KTM orange:D
    [​IMG]

Only 3 weeks to go and the preparation for Tuareg 2011 can start.
  6. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
  7. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:

:thumb

:lol3
  8. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so little world!
    I was at the tuareg! I'm the photographer with the 950 Adventure!
    :norton
  9. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    I got back to the Isle of Man today, (I left on the 9th March) it's been somewhat of an up and down event for my team and I will get my story onto this site over the next week.

I look forward to your photo's. There is a photographer out there that should have the perfect pictures of me in the desert. I saw him and rode almost straight at the lens drifting the back end on the power in a perfect moment. If that was you when will your photo's be ready to see?
  10. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    Sorry to see your injury, In my team one guy dislocated his shoulder and another broke his ankle. It's a tough sport Rallye raid. I was lucky to get away with some bruises and a sore head after the finshers party.

Maybe David P can fill me in with how I came to be asleep in the hotel corridor?
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would ask you all: what do you think of safety in this rally?
    Most of italians think there's a big lack of security.
    The orga treated badly a friend of mine keeping him into the hotel for two days, when he was risking his life.
  13. ManxBerg

ManxBerg Rallye Raid

Oddometer:
    I have to say that I cannot speak highly enough of the treatment myself and two of my team members recieved this year. I know it is all personal experience but I saw some very commited and generous people doing the very best job they can.
    This is desert Rallye, (and a cheap desert rallye at that) and contains inherent dangers. People will always get injured or lost.

Two of my team hurt themselves, one dislocated shoulder, and one broken ankle. The medical team according to these two could not have been better and both were treated and back in the bivouac that evening with their equiptment and bikes.

This Rallye does not have a Helicopter, and this fact alone makes it harder to respond and treat people. (Remember sometimes the Rallye passes through some pretty remote places) It also massively reduces the entry fee. For increased security you will have to pay.

The Orga are all volenteers working on this rally, and the Medical team are all on their leave from work, doing this for the love of motorsport.

Once the Orga have treated you, it is then up to you to arrange repatriation, but why should this not be so. Both our team elected to fly home early and take the hit on last minute flight prices.

We all know the dangers, and I believe If you really wanted to stay safe, you could stay at home. (although as most accidents happen in the home, maybe Rallye racing is statistically safer?)
  14. mnc

mnc n00b

Oddometer:
    Good to have ya back on the rock looking forward to the report I take it day one was a bit of a b!"£%^& looks like you where giving it some for the rest of the rally :clap
  15. GezwindeSpoed

GezwindeSpoed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm completely satisfied with the medical team. They took me to the hospital, took care of my bike and arranged my flight back with the insurance company. As already mentioned, it is a cheap rally compared to others and everybody (should) know the risk otherwise stay at home, don't blame the medical team for your injuries.

Of course I will participate in road book rides in the neighborhood and hope next winter is not as the last one (no real riding for 2 month).
  16. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think there are always different aspects to look at for the medical at a rally. Yes racing a rally is always full of risks but outside of the riding these need to be minimized and yes they do come at a cost. Helicopter support does not come cheap.

I am by no means putting down the rally in any way. I have not ridden it but I hear only good words about the organization. As an experience rally i.e. to learn and race (and race hard by the look of it) it seems great value for money. However I have participated in a number of rallies and unfortunately been choppered out of one and my personal opinion is that if you want to race hard but keep all other bases covered then chopper support can mean the difference between life and death. If however we are talking small injuries then also the FIM rallies are such that you can be stuck in the middle of nowwhere with a simple broken collar bone, bad enough and often enough for people to complain about.

If I were riding a rally with no chopper support i would ride at 65% of max capacity and not 70 or 80. It would play a role in my head.

Taking a risk is one thing, the assurance that maximum help is available is worth the extra money for me.

my 5 cents worth
  17. David P.

David P. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not one to kiss and tell, Kieran! :rofl

Attached Files:

18. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm... That's an interesting perspective for any 'racer' to have... I'm not suggesting you are right or wrong, but isn't there a danger that the 'other guy' is going to be riding at 66% (or 70% etc) and going to beat you?

I wonder how many people who race actually think about the consequences of an accident while they are riding... I don't imagine any of the top guys even consider it, they are far too focused (if only on not crashing!)...

It's an interesting point you've raised Aussie...

J x
  19. canadaler

canadaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO it doesn't have as much to do with what "%" you are going...until you get over 100% (ie: riding "over your head") which will destine you for disaster if engaged in for anything more than a short (and exhilarating) period of time.

It has more to do with concentration. You can race at 80 or 90% "capacity" and more than likely your concentration level is going to be at its peak.

I've seen plenty of people get injured...and bad...not even racing, just goofing around at low speed, but not really concentrating on what they're doing. I separated my shoulder at 0kph...just landed the right way and a root sticking out of the ground that happened to poke itself directly into the joint...shit happens.

The more worried you are about it happening...the more likely it is to happen...helicopter or no.
  20. Aussie66

Aussie66 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Percentages play a roll a big roll in rally racing. Going full bore on a multiday has massive consequences, you need to conserve energy, reaction, engine for multiple days. The top of the field ride maxed out only when required and believe me that is not a whole rally. Those who ride maxed out crash or blow engines. Red phase (full on race a la motocross) is the danger for new people racing rallies. Dont forget the course is not known, you attack a blind corner or a blind rise and you may be very unlucky. Rally is very much ride what you can see fast, and ride slow what you cant hence not 100%,