Poor Sealing of CPR Rottweiler Filter-Anyone Else Notice This?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by AdvRonski, Jan 26, 2013.

1. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    You asked.
  2. pvmoto

pvmoto Instagram @ pvmoto

Oddometer:
    Thanks John. I was looking to purchase one. Just wanted some real world feedback. As I'm sure you agree there's plenty of manufactures making plenty of unsubstantiated claims. I'm not saying that's the case here, but lets face it, few if any company is going to admit there's floors in their design.
  3. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    CPR guy, I'll volunteer here. Just send me the setup for my 950 SM, and I'll do an install and tell you if there are any issues with it.

You're welcome.
    Actually, I'm probably going to buy one of these in the near future. I'm pretty thorough in my install, and I tend not to beat things into place, or hammer shit up. I like your approach to keeping your customers happy, most of them anyway.
  4. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wondering....are CPR and ITG the same filter?
    They look identical (to me)
  5. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't used a CPR/ITG filter yet, but my experience so far with my SE is the following
    a) Stock bike.....fine but nothing special to write home about
    b) Akras and 1 slot the needles up (as per KTM instructions).....great midnange, but lacking on low end
    c) H2W jetting with prefilter....fantastic throttle response and low-mid power but a bit lacking on the high end
    d) Deleted prefilter, up-ed mains to stock sizes....better than (c) in every way
    e) replaced stock filter with DNA (not much dust where I ride), opened sommers doors and up-ed main jets some more. Bike is now ripping through the rev range. Had to go from 16/45 on H2W to 17/42 on current setup to make 1st sensible on the street.

Maybe these filters make it even better, I don't know. For me their value is to get rid of the box for ease of tuning and maintenance.
  6. emuooz

emuooz Emu

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with Johnf3 it wasn't about the power increase as much for the ease of maintenance.Anyone who has a 950 SE and are riding them in the conditions they were designed for I imagine like me were sick of pulling the bloody tank off and cleaning the useless pre cleaner after every dusty ride.
    As long as you take your time fitting it, mine had to have a slight die grind on the under side of the base plate (no big deal)
    to get it sitting flat and snug.Do yourself a favour and get a head to wind jetting kit and SAS blanking plates RC8 velocity stacks as well as a couple of packs of filter skins(6) is good I have two on all the time.
    The best part is when you get home from a dirty ride just pull the seat off reach in peel the top skin off put a freshly oiled skin on and your good to go I reckon I could do it in about 30 seconds seat off seat on and if you need to get main foam filter out you can do that too without pulling the tank off.But when putting the filter dome back in making sure the hinged side is clipped under properly and it sort of clicks over the dusses clips to seat and seal properly if you install this filter yourself you will understand better how it goes together and then will be able to do it all with the tank on.
    Power increase it dramatic as well mine hasn't been on the dyno since and there is no need the fuelling is spot on no flat spots no more popping and the thing wheelies off the throttle in 3rd gear!
    Finally I believe if this filter is installed correctly you won't have any sealing problems and will turn your 950 or 990 into a great dirt bike money well spent I say Cheers Emu:D
  7. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Hi!
    As I am using the CPF filter on my 990 for some time, I have some comments:
    First the claimed hp's can be verified by me. Only the filter is giving something between 8-9 hp's and with some extra tuning with Tuneboy I am now in 11,3 hp's more compared to stock. So the filter works and my bike rips more than ever.

About the fitting issue, I have the same issues. This is the most problematic airfilter I've ever owned to be fitted as it is a PITA to get aligned. If I get one tab to match up with the fastener, the other is not aligned and vice versa. But I think the whole problem lays on the left side on the baseplate where the filter is locked down to the base trapped under this 'lip' on the filter. It's really hard to get the filter far enough to the right side under this locking lip, ie get the filter enough to the right side. If you can do that, the tabs aligns much better. So in the process the vendor mention with alignment done with some machines, I am pretty sure the filter frame and the base match up perfectely, but when trying to install it, it will be positioned slightly to the left side making the tabs to be mistaligned slightly. I have been thinking about using some heat to raise this 'lip' a bit to get the filter more to the right side, but then I am a bit worried if I will loose downwards clamping force and filter not so tight against the base. Hmmm.....

So to CPRFAB: This is a fact and I have used plenty of time in my garage trying to find the best and quickest method to fit it. It's not easy and some swearing is involved every time. Your product is doing the job in excellent level, so I am a happy customer. I just wish it could be a bit simpler to install it as bringing a spare filter for longer trips (if headed to very dusty conditions) is not an option like it is now. I can get over and live with it and therefor I have not contacted you about this 'issue'. I have the new updated baseplate and using the prefilter if needed. Breather hos vents outside the box.

Just wanted to give some verification to the OP and some others that there are others also with the same issue.
  8. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    To clarify my ITG filter is not easy to get aligned like Olec says about the CPR. Because my project use the RC8R engine i don´t have the room for the airbox anyvvay and i vvould like to salvage as many ponys as possible. CPR/ITG same same, imho. I still think its a great product and it fits perfect.
  9. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    We have a private label agreement with the company with a slightly different build up to suit the environments we are using them in. So yes, they are different. This was important and after an lengthy amount of testing we found our current proprioritary combination of foam densities, layers and sizing. Starting out with a cheap gimmicky filter was not an option for us with the quality we wanted to produce in our product. Pods, drop ins, paper and gauze were not viable options for numerous reasons and couldn't produce nearly the HP and filtering properties our demands required. One of our earliest tests was a rider that raced the Mexican 1000 without changing the Rottweiler filter at all and the inside of his filter was spotless. The outside was totally caked with silt and still breathing clean air.

We are very close to getting into KTM hard parts as some factory AMA teams are currently testing our product and if that happens the only change will be an orange frame instead of red.
  10. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    We certainly try. We usually stay far away from forums for numerous obvious reasons. They can be a double edged sword depending on what keyboard commando is behind the turret. We got involved here because it was easy to deduce that a simple phone call is infinitely easier than multiple uploaded photos and a title like "Poor sealing" rather than the obvious, "Am I doing this correctly?". Ultimately we take it as an accomplishment that there is conjecture. If we had sold only one, no one would be talking so I guess we should smile about it. Our numbers speak for themselves and all of the comments posted about our product that we advertise our site were not elicited, rather sent to us from genuine satisfaction of the Rottweiler System. We had a small number of issues starting out, spent a ridiculous amount of cash to make a better product and then upgraded everyone for free. We stand behind our product. Period.
  11. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    We will give an easy tip here on the alignment and this will help tremendously as you will see the ease of snapping it together in the video below. Make sure the left side clip (Bottim tab in the video) is centered by sliding it back and forth to find the middle. It will clip right in. You can easily do this from the top of the bike. If one ear doesn't quite fit in, slide the entire filter the other way (Front to back of vice versa) slightly to align it and it will pinch right in with 2 fingers.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j8JWPSXSFcg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  12. Supahflid

Supahflid Wheelieless Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are making an awful lot of supposition about the manufacturer's reasons for the way he built his products on top of essentially calling him a liar.

You wanted nothing more than to tell all of us how awesome you are. Well I don't know you and your contributions to this discussion are useless. I am interested in what the manufacturer of the product I purchased has to say. You, on the other hand, haven't brought any product to the market, so none of us can judge its' worthiness here. You sound like you have sour grapes because you can't get anyone to make your aluminum plate design because it's a heat sink.
  13. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Fruita, center of the Dirt Bike Universe.
    Oh, Snap!
  14. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think Chris (CPR Fab) needs to defend himself...

1. He came up with a good idea.
    2. Invested heavily in it.
    3. When the original base plate became an issue, he stood behind his product and replaced every one of them free of charge.
    4. He continues to participate in our forums providing quick and helpful support.
    5. He's making money on his investment so he can afford to develop more products for our bikes.
    As an manufactuer myself, I can appreciate all of this. As a log time do-it-yourselfer I appreciate Sporting Woods self efficiencies. It's nice to have options, but let's not start bashing a valued vendors products just because you can make one at home and save a little...

15. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    Wow, you should probably start to make your own shit, after all, your jetting was contributed to someone's Baja bike. I bet those jets cost upward of $8.00 or so. Does your engineering degree cover aluminum and all it's thermal/wear/manufacturing properties too? It's funny how you make these public assumptions about this guys parts, have you ever owned one, or are you picking this all up from the internet? Or is it all because someone you know, knows someone who knows someone, whose brother in law bought a spark plug for a Bultaco once, and Rottweiler also bought a spark plug once, and, and, and........

For not having any commercial interest here, you seem pretty sure of yourself when burning down this man's product.
  16. pRICK

pRICK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My CPR filter even seals upside down here in Oz. Brilliant product, does as advertised and the noise between my legs is enough to get off on.

Rick
  17. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything else aside....

I have never seen CJ Racer sell and use a product he doesn't believe in or rely on...

He sells them....he uses them.....I'm in.....:deal
  18. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    TMI. Clearly you can't use a suede seat cover...
  19. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I'm not from North Carolina.
  20. gefr

gefr Life is a trip

Oddometer: