ITT We Discuss Cooling for the R1100GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Y E T I, May 8, 2012.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I have a '97 R1100GS with 66k miles. Overall, it's in very good tune. Since I've owned it, I've done the valves and throttle bodies, replaced all fluids, replaced the plugs, cleaned the fuel injectors and replaced everything inside the tank. Oh, and did a new final drive seal. The plugs look good, ie they don't make me think the bike is running too lean. I removed the stock exhaust and the catalytic converter and did the jumper in the CCP.

However, I believe my GS runs too hot. Last weekend we did some good off-road riding with a lot of long 1st gear uphill stuff. Temps were in the mid-to high 70s so it was hot when going that slow but not unbearable. My bike spent most of the day with the temp guage showing 6 bars and a while at 7 bars. I shut it down shortly after each time it got to 7 bars and even coasted on the downhills to cool things down. Unfortunately, the only other 1100GS with me does not have the temperature guage so we couldn't compare.

It also seems to go to 6 bars when I'm lane splitting through traffic on warm to hot days. I don't recall my old 1100GS or 1100RT ever going to 6 bars even when lane splitting on hot days, but I have CRS so.... :dunno

So, my questions are:

1) Where does most of the cooling for the 1100GS come from? The fins on the jugs? The oil cooler?

2) Is there anything in the oil cooling system that tends to get plugged up over time which would make the bike run hot?

3) Does anyone make an after-market oil cooler that would help here in sunny San Diego?

4) Is there a way to check the accuracy of the oil temperature guage on the RID?

5) Is there anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks!
  2. mdmaroon

mdmaroon Mike

Oddometer:
    My R1150GS gets to 7 bars if I'm riding around in 1st gear off-road. This might be normal. For what it's worth...

In traffic, 6 bars is not unusual, but it stays at 5 as long as I'm moving a decent speed.

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 Synthetic oil.
  3. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    It is entirely possible that I am a motorcycle hypochondriac. If there is such a thing.

I still would like to explore ways to increase the cooling capabilities of the bike if there is a way to do so.
  4. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    These engines will run forever at 7 bars. You do want good 20W50 oil. Synthetic is not needed. just change regular oil at 3K miles and leave the filter on until 6K. Syn you can go 6K. Nothing gets plugged up, it is normal. Most heat comes off the head fins, the crankcase fins and the oil cooler.

Rod
  5. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I read somewhere, I believe, that running at 5 bars was good. 6 bars was ok, but 7 was getting iffy and definitely shut it off at 8. I never saw 8 this weekend but I was definitely watching it closely. :eek1

Oh, and I've run Mobil 1 20w50 in it since I got it.
  6. BleedbeemR

BleedbeemR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a handle on the tuning and lubrication. I know that it is possible to take duct work from a rt-p and place the duct work behind the oil cooler, inside the oil cooler is an electric fan that keeps the air moving even if the bike isn't. I have seen this on several rt-p (police bikes) and a 1150 g/s that was used by a movie crew.
    Could be a little over kill for your style of riding, but hey, just another option. Good luck
  7. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Like this:

[​IMG]

That could be cool (pun intended) especially for those 1st gear hot days. I wonder if the GS wiring harness has a plug for the fan?
  8. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Just ride it and don't be concerned about heat if you are running Mobil1 15w-50.
  9. (none)

(none) poser

Oddometer:
    I'm paranoid like you, but i really wouldn't worry about it. The 6th light doesn't come on until around 221F, definitely nothing to worry about. 7th around 260F, pretty damned hot, but not a killer. I'd just try to keep the bike moving in fresh air at those temps. The thermostat for the oil cooler doesn't even open until sometime after the 5th light is on. After a bit of research, i've found that the K-bikes (k1200RS in particular) have lower temp oil thermostats, but i haven't risked the $40 to see if they are interchangeable. Would make the oil run cooler when moving, but would also let it take longer before it heats up. Still would eventually get just as hot without airflow through the oil cooler, though

I've also been looking at adding a fan to the oil cooler, but i've read there isn't enough clearance for the RT-P shroud setup...
  10. Poway

Poway SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer:
    Our GS1100 engines last into the hundred thousands with proper care. I've had my motor at the max temp bar, no problems. Its our tranny's we need to worry about, because they are above the cat converter they get hot!. They are the ones to worry about. That cat cooks the tranny and its fluid. My tranny oil is changed at 6k intervals. It always looks burnt compared to the final drive fluid. I'm on my second tranny , and currently at 84k. Tranny's fail and engines last.
  11. mike54

mike54 You don't get me

Oddometer:
    Probably not. I know a few folks that have added the fan to a non-police RT and they had to add a switch for the fan. The police RT's have a sensor and associated harness connections to automaticall turn the fan on and off. It's not difficult though. It'll give you another switch to play with. :D

Long uphills in 1st gear on my 1150 can get it to 7 bars. I haven't done that often enough to worry about it though.

Upon further thought . . the cowling probably wouldn't fit on a GS anyway. You could probably find a small 12V fan and mount it to suck air through the oil cooler way cheaper. They have 3" fans used for cooling brake rotors for under $40. That might be a source.
  12. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually like to see 6 bars once and a while, even 7. I know it evaporates any water and unburned fuel from the oil. I only hit 8 once, in a traffic jam, and then I went to the shoulder, found some shade and waited until traffic started moving

Rod
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I don't have a cat on my bike for exactly that reason. :deal :evil
    I'm going to look into a fan for the oil cooler. I'd love to hear from someone who's done it, just to see if it works. I've been looking at it and wonder how much of the overall cooling of the bikes oil comes from the cooler versus the fins. :scratch
  14. bdarling

bdarling Weather Man

Oddometer:
    Yep.

You could try riding faster (e.g. run my slow ass over)...or the good old duct tape mod will increase your peace of mind. :lol3

I know my 1100 was hot on that hill climb because it was clattering a bit more than usual, but I really don't think it's anything to worry about. Granted, my opinion is purely subjective, but I have put over 30,000 miles on two 1100s (neither of which had an RID) and I have experienced these conditions on about a dozen occasions with no ill effects. Just keep changing your oil and ride that pig!

-B
  15. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3

You weren't the problem, it was the other 7 guys between us. :hide

I kid though.

The more I think about it, it's not so much concern (although I was keeping a very close eye on the RID) as a desire to keep things cooler. I also worry about the summer months since it was only about 75* last weekend. Then again, if it's that hot out there, I'll probably be at home sipping a cold beer so...