Ducati MultiStrada 1200

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Paulvt1, Sep 10, 2008.

1. desmodab

desmodab Oversized Canuck

Oddometer:
    I have to agree. I got my MTS 12 S Touring last April and put on 11300kms last year. Now as I sit looking at the ice and snow I am starting to go crazy wanting to get out and ride!

I couldn't agree more with what the other posters are saying about the Multistrada - just a fantastic bike. Fun, quick, reliable, great handling, etc. etc. etc.

One thing that is of note is I am a big guy - 6'-7" and 305lbs so I was VERY concerned that this bike (or most bikes) would be too small for me, but the Multi fits me better than my DL1000 VStrom did. It is comfortable to ride all day and I routinely do 330-350km on a tank without stopping.

My only complaint would be wind protection, or lack thereof. Not an unusual problem with bikes these days but I found it really tough to get it right for me, and finally ended up with a set of Aztec spacers under the windscreen and a Wunderlich wind deflector designed for a 1200 GS. It's not perfect but it's the best I have found thus far.

On a bit of a sour note, here in Calgary where I live there seem to be some dealer shenanigans going on. Anyone interested pls see my other post here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20707015#post20707015

Safe riding all,

DD
  2. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, my bike is a 2012. 'Adaptive' ECU was the first I'd heard about that, but....when I first put the FD's on, it helped about 60-70% of the fueling issue. As time went by, I thought the fueling was getting worse, going back to where it was, and, in fact, thought there was something wrong with the bike. This all came up, when he asked me if the bike was stock and I told it was, besides the FD's. He said, 'cured the problem for awhile, didnt it, but have you noticed anything lately?' Hmmm....yeah...and that's when he told me about the ECU.

Gearing & mileage....I know.
  3. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    You aren't seriously comparing a Stelvio to a Mutlistrada for raw performance and back road strafing are you? :huh You do ride the bikes you own? :lol3 :augie:amazon

Those two bikes shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath. As the saying goes, they are as different as chalk and cheese. And yes, believe it or not, I DID (not "supposedly") replace the Multi with the Stelvio. Crazy eh? :loco :lol3

-SM
  4. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    You said that the Stelvio required too much work to make it go fast, I'm saying that it doesn't. My point (again) is that most all modern day bikes can go "fast" so replacing the Multi with a Stelvio simply to go less fast is not something that makes a ton of logical sense. If you explained to us that you were after added comfort, simplicity, looks, or other intangibles then it would be more understandable in my opinion.

Why is your Multi still for sale? Kinda frightens me as an owner of one. Is the market not that deep for them? Or is it simply due to the bid/ask?
  5. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    What I do and why doesn't matter to anyone but me (and apparently you). What I will say is don't misquote me. Read what I wrote carefully. What I said was it's harder to make the Stelvio go THAT fast (i.e. as fast as the Multi)....key word that you missed. I put it there for a reason. PM me for further info if you want to keep this up. No one else cares....least of all me.

Why still for sale? Because the shops where I've had it consigned aren't doing much to promote it. Not a big deal to me because it will sell eventually.

-SM
  6. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Sock, I wasn't the one who asked you why you sold/were selling your Multi, but did find the reason/explanation you gave to that forum member an interesting if not curious one, that's all. Sorry that I missed the word "that" in your previous response.
  7. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, material or ethereal?
  8. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Hiyas Pampero, a little of both if you will. The bike that I was considering swapping my MTS for didn't come with all of its original parts so I decided against the trade.
  9. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Still with us then....for now! Sounds like it won't be for long though.
  10. oalvarez

Oddometer:
    Have enjoyed owning the model since '08 and feel like there will be one in my garage for the forseeable future. Having said that, it is replaceable. :thumb
  11. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod
    When I got my MTS home and told my wife that it is the best handling bike I have ever ridden she asked if this was going to finally be the last bike I'll buy.

I invoked my right to remain silent. :evil
  12. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Goofy question, GK.
  13. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    yeah she knew that as soon as she said it. :lol3
  14. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Ask her if thats the last pair of shoes she is ever going to own! :fpalm
  15. Sock Monkey

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Why not just tell him to stick his head into a nest of bees.....he'll get the same result. :lol3

FWIW, my wife asked me the same thing re. the Stelvio.....I invoked the same right as GK. :evil

-SM
  16. Suruppak

Suruppak Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got rid of the wife....so much easier now. :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  17. Thumperama

Thumperama We are the 'Berg - Resistance is futile

Oddometer:
    My wife is just happy that it's motorcycles now instead of cars.

She always asks how many I can ride at a time and I still ask how many pair of shoes can she wear at a time. Then she mumbles something about apples and oranges, but I've usually tuned her out by then.
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    My wife is very good about the whole typic of bikes and she should be considering she rides the Monster :deal

Just the other day she was like if were going to go do that I'm going to need a 650GS....
  19. Gorilla King

Oddometer:
    Tire Pressure? :dunno

Owner's manual is a little sketchy. 2.5 bars? I',m thinking 36 to 38 psi for the front and 38 to 40 rear.
    What are you guys running?
  20. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    2.5 is 36.