Both on sale, Garmin 62S vs 450T

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by SoilSampleDave, May 17, 2013.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I posted this in the wrong spot originally, let's try again. I am looking for my first GPS for my bike. Primary use is to map out/borrow a cool loop of unpaved roads for a day of DS riding. Bass Pro has the 62S for $250, and several places have the 450T for $200 right now. I see the price as essentially a wash. Which one is better for what I want to do with it? I do know now that neither has the good 12V connector. Do I need the Topo maps or regular street maps to find good Forest Service roads?

TIA
  2. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As you noted the 62 and Oregon have the poor USB power connector, not a deal breaker if you are satisfied using the AA on-board batteries for power. They will run all day on a set of batteries (equals several days on the bike for most) if you don't get hooked on running the back-light or use/need it in the dark.

But why compromise, the 78 does everything the 62 does and the non "S" version (the sensors are fine but not needed) can be had at West Marine on sale for $199 with free shipping and it does have a good power connector.

All the basic handhelds need detailed maps, Garmin's CityNavigator should show most all roads on public lands. If I was wanting Topo I would buy the DVD vs preloaded.

Bruce
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, Real question is 78 vs Montana.
  4. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which comes down to buttons vs touchscreen.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    & $
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the Montana is not cheap. Also, the Garmin website isn't super clear about the available connectors, so I have been trying to figure it out by looking at what accessory cables are available. I see where the 78 has good, non-USB power connector, but the Montana looks to me like it only has the USB power connector?
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    You might want to read a little more about the Montana here. It has arguably the best on-bike powered configuration of any unit on the market.

Good luck with your selection.
  8. Honkey Cat

Honkey Cat Tailights Fade!

Oddometer:
    yeah, and I went thru 3 of them thru warranty with garmin before I gave up on them working without issues. It would have been nice but they kept breaking . Junk imo
  9. serfy

serfy serfy

Oddometer:
    I've never used a GPS before , but as I am doing more adventure and rides that require them so it's time. I've looked at used 60CSX's, the 62S and the 78. My only hesitancy is that the 78 looks like it has a small screen compared to the 60 and 62, but it's hard to tell from pix. Is that the case? If so is that a factor? I would think you would be looking at a screen following directions and looking at a tiny screen would make that difficult. It would also seem to me that there should be a an app on an iPhone that would do everything a GPS does and more. The maps on my phone are amazing! I want that on my motorcycles, damnit!?

If the 78 is the one, that deal at Western Marine would appear to be the one to jump on...or find one that already has some maps loaded?
  10. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    All have same size screen. Old 60/76Cx for $100 would be good starter,

62 is DOA no 12V, 78 or montana to state of art today.
  11. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been using this model for making routes before a ride ( using free basecamp software) and recording tracks after the rides to share with other riders. Garmin has a cable to connect direct the unit to the bike's battery. I have added several maps sets to the standard Garmin maps via downloads and the SD card. I hold it on my handlebars via a ram mount. it has survived a few big crashes.

A good product.
  12. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was but now discontinued and out of date.
  13. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 62S is still available in Australia.