Weird tickets and lessons learned.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by svs, Apr 10, 2012.

1. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are small and maneuverable. As such they go places cars can't. There are also laws on the books for doing almost anything you can think of with regards to the operation of your motor vehicle.

I've learned you're not suppose to drive on the sidewalks even though the law says you can do it to "access adjacent property."

And this past weekend I learned when you see "cones and barriers" they represent something stronger than: If you can squeeze through yer good to go. Nope. And no written message like "Rode Closed" needs to be present.

What lessons have you learned on a BIKE that you might not have had you been in 4-wheel vehicle?
  2. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    I've learned that when you have a collision with a car on a M/C, it hurts a LOT more than it does if you have a collision with a car while IN a car.
  3. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:

If you got a ticket for going through the cones I would like to see the vehicle code section and the report.
  4. Hurricane Bob

Hurricane Bob Long timer

Oddometer:

Disobedience to a traffic control device.
    phillyrube likes this.
  5. mrduck

mrduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They seem to have very little tolerance towards wheelstanding across the parking lot while waving at your buddies.....:wave
  6. lethe

lethe Long timer

Oddometer:
    passing a tractor trailer on a double yellow with a long clear view ahead isn't ok even when there are ripped bags of sand on the trailer blowing sand back at you
  7. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    :deal

A coworker turned left in a lane with a "right turn" arrow. His ticket: "Failure to obey traffic control device". And since it was on post, his name and offense got listed in the base newspaper.
  8. mattjw916

mattjw916 never wears lip balm

Oddometer:
    kicking a cone or trying to pick up something on the road at speed is never a good idea...

an overly exuberant launch from a stop light will get you a warning/ticket even if you didn't speed or do a wheelie in the process...

if your "friends" are doing something stupid and take off, the cops just might pull you over for no reason and yell at you because your friends were being jackasses and they knew they couldn't catch them if they tried... it's just best to agree with whatever they say at that point because you probably won't be cited if your papers are in order...
  9. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    C&I for going between stopped cars on a 5 lane rd to go around a stopped semi that was blocking both lanes. The cop did not even see it happen, a twat in a mini van called 911 and reported that I was flying through stopped traffic. After I got past the semi I stopped at QT and there was already a cop sitting there, so he walked over asked if it was me. I said no and he called dispatch for a description of the bike and rider. It just so happened that the description matched me to a T. My next response was "Yea I'm the only guy in MO with a White MC, Red Jacket and blue jeans. So then he had the dispatch send the bitch over and she IDed me. I still denied it and he wrote a C&I ticket. So I paid a lawyer 200 to make it a equipment violation. Total cost about $425.00

The lesson I learned was not to stop so close to a spot that I just violated several traffic laws because some busy body twat may have called the cops!:deal
  10. YOUNZ

YOUNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's getting close to the quip, that a Perp always returns to the scene of the crime. Only in this case, you never left!
  11. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    At the point where he called dispatch, I'd have asked if I was under arrest or am free to leave.
  12. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not cited yet, but I hear LEO's don't like it when an ADV Rider stands up on the footpegs to stretch while moving.........???? Let's see a H-D Rider do THAT !!!!!!!!
  13. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    They still can detain you at that point....probable cause since he matched the description. Cop must have been bored that day to go through all that trouble.
  14. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

I got strobes flashed at me for doing that and the cop waved his hand as to say (sit down)....which I did....no sense provoking them.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    That is a law! "The Law of Gross Tonnage!"

Jim :brow
  16. feathered

feathered Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or pissed that someone was very likely lying to him. And WAS lying to him. Minutes after the report, right next to the scene, you look exactly like the description...
  17. svs

svs Posts too much... Supporter

Oddometer:

I was hoping the fact that there was no actual sign that said "Road Closed" would have warranted a warning instead of a ticket.

I was down on the streets that are being used for the Long Beach Grand Prix. Big signs on Shoreline that say: ROAD CLOSED in addition to the barriers.

No signs on the smaller side access roads. And cones and barriers where everywhere. I could see cross traffic at the next stop and went past cones to get to the "T" intersection which is where I met the police officer. He was tucked in the recess of the concrete race barriers the were lining the road off his bike talking on a cell phone as I came riding up to the stop sign. One side of the road was open for travel and the side I was on according the officer as not.
  18. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

That too.....:freaky
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I do it on my HD...I just try and make sure that no cops are around. :deal
  20. mamm

mamm < advertise here! >

Oddometer:
    AKA as "The Right of Weight".