Riding Estes Park/Rocky Mountain NP Area - what bike?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by RTRMech, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RTRMech

RTRMech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I will be headed out to spend about 10 days out in the Estes Park, CO area with my g/f and we are planning on towing a couple of bikes out to do some riding. I am guessing mainly light off-road/gravel as the g/f is still getting up to speed on her Honda CRF230L. I have the option of taking 1 of 2 bikes for myself:
    BMW F650/Dakar with some new Anakees
    -or-
    Suzuki DRZ250 plated with some non-DOT knobbies

I'm guessing that we'll be able to find plenty of suitable roads for either bike but I thought I'd throw it out to some people who are more familiar with the area. Riding isn't the main focus of our trip and I think right now I am leaning towards the BMW so that we have the option of loading up some camping gear and spending a day or two away from the rest of my family that will also be there... Any thoughts???
  2. jwrover

jwrover Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    RTR,

I'd recommend you bring the Dakar. Beyond the already stated two up option...RMNP tops out around 12K feet! That's paved roads...There is really only 1 dirt road that you'd be interested in, in the park. It goes up to that 12K ft level. But most of what you will be after is scattered around the park both on the east and west side. So you will want the extra umph to get over.

Also, It will allow you better range. I'd recomend a day loop that looks something like:

Estes Park- Old Fall River Road- Grand Lake- Kremling- Trough Road- CO 131 (north)- CO 134-Kremling-Grand Lake-Trail Ridge Road-Estes Park.

That's just one day of easy DS with a little heavier on the paved side, probably 60-40.

Welcome to CO! Have fun.

jwrover
  3. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    FWIW there are great trails all over the front range, none more than an hour or so away. I'd personally bring the Dakar, but either would be really fun.
  4. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Living near EP, I'd suggest maybe rejet tha CRF for about 9k altitude(lower tha needle to 2nd to last clip, and go 1 step leaner on tha pilot, but i'm gueising), it will help make tha riding experience more enjoyable for tha GF...

Tha front range, ie; Mountains you can see from Denver, has a bit of good terrain that I would send a noob who is starting out on with some scenic stuff as well- there's tha roads in RMNP, Peak to Peak Hwy, Bunce School road, Switzerland trail, Kingston, etc..

Some stuff to avoid are Cooney flat's, Left hand riding area(unless you're wanting to know why tha rockies are called so).

There are also lot's of good areas around Grand Lake-tha west side of RMNP. There's a bunch of 2 track, jeep road, etc over there that you'd like, i'm sure.

If I were in your shoes, I'd bring tha 650...cuz my sis has one and she loves it here, and it can take 2 up to get to where tha 230 looses too much power to get to really scenic spot's...

What's you're ability? Gf attitude toward learning?

Are ya planning on camping?

Are tha bikes plated?
  5. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    I'm with the rest, bring the Dakar. It's all about the options here and the Beemer will give you more of them. Have a great trip, take lots of pictures, spend lots of money.
    :beer
  6. RTRMech

RTRMech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. I was already leaning towards the Dakar and this just makes it an easier decision. As far as the g/f goes, after I got the Dakar, we took one overnight camping trip 2up and after that she decided she'd have more fun riding and wanted a bike! She's a bit vertically challenged, hence the Honda CRF230. She has only had it a year and needs a bit more time in the saddle getting comfortable but likes riding off-road more than on and is willing to have a go at pretty much anything. Whcih is why we decided to get married while we're out there. We'll be car camping near Lyons this weekend to check out the Folks Festival, esp. Jenny Lewis and the Swell Season (http://www.bluegrass.com/folks/) for a bit and then we've rented a house in Estes Park for a week. Got some family coming out and we're having a simple ceremony out in the Rock Mountain Park and then spending the rest of the time riding/hiking/drinking/etc. Maybe an overnight camping trip on the bikes... No firm plans yet - looking forward to 10 days off!
  7. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    that sounds awesome!

you are doing it up right!

you better go spend some money at Oscar Blues in Lyons if you like beer.