The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sleepyOwl

sleepyOwl Long timer

Oddometer:
    United Kingdom of HIS Majesty's Tax Collectors

Great post :thumb And great bike!

Thanks for all the great posts. A test ride it is. As i stated, I am more than happy to leave the point and squirt power of the Duc behind. The Tiger 1050 had nowhere near the power of the Duc but we loved the smoothness of the engine and acceleration.

I have already dropped words like "Yamaha reliability" and "the only owners on the net who seem happy have Yamahas" to the other half. I dont think she will be too surprised when we arrive at the Yamaha dealers on our next ride out.
    Cheers all:freaky
  2. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim, where did you find this pocket bike version of the Super Ten?
    What a good replica!!

:rofl:rofl:rofl
  3. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And you ask why I hate the stuff.....

Gods curse to the earth.:bluduh
    [​IMG]
  4. Flydream

Flydream King of the Atlantic

Oddometer:

And that's a profissional...don't try this at home:huh
  5. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    Ya gotta admire the the way he tucks his legs up out of the way mid flight. It looks intentional to me.
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Flydream

Oddometer:
    You are a very courageous man jaumev.:rofl
    Guernsey is not to far from you...:huh. :lol3 and Tim may want to visit Barcelona :D:2guns
  8. RoverDan

RoverDan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WV is on the list! Merci
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jaumev won't need much of a head start.:deal
  10. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
  11. Tim

Tim Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap I may have posted this before, but you should see me on my little (250cc) bike!

[​IMG]

It's interesting that you should say that as plans are already being made with Jaumev :deal
  12. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled...

Oddometer:
    COOL bike!

...that we don't get to have....:(:
  13. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glubs... you’re right!! :eek1

Well… because I’m quite small I search for big riders... if I need some help... :evil
    This is Albert my mate; he’s about 2 metres tall. He rides a KTM 950 Super Enduro like a 450 (I’m jealous).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Tim said we’re planning something…. Hope it works. :freaky
  14. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gosh dang, thats a big boy.. Really cool Yamaha & Jaume killing it on the rocks ! :freaky
  15. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    So, two weeks ago I get a phone call from a dude at the local Yamaha shop saying that they have another S10 on the floor and that he dared me to come out and look at it. It had snowed two days before but the temp was up to forty nine or so, and so on went the suit and off I went.

I get to the shop (BMW 1150 GSA) and the sales guy (really great guy, into all types of bikes, not a snob) laughs and shakes his head.

I walk up to the charcoal grey (not sure of the real name of the color, not quite silver, not quite black, didn't look too bad) and begin looking it over. Looks small. Not really small, but sport-bike small, short? Make sense?

I ask if I can throw a leg over it, and get the "Of course".. Seat was on the lowest position and that felt a bit odd, but obviously can be fixed. It was when I went to sit it up off of the side stand that everything very nearly went pear-shaped. I almost threw the bloody thing onto its side. THIS WAS NOT INTENDED!!!!

Sales dude saves it, then informs me that there was no battery, oil, or gas. That bloody thing was a tad bit lighter then I anticipated. Considering I had over six gallons in the BMW and I am used to hefting that thing up, the S10 was a bit of a surprise.

Needless to say I wasn't able to take it out. One, no fluids or battery, two, they didn't like the road conditions and didn't want to spend a day cleaning it off. I understood completely.

I was able to put it up on the center-stand (obviously very easy with all the missing fluids and battery) and sit on it. We put the seat to its' highest setting, and no. It didn't work for me. BUT, I am willing to chalk this up to familiarity and so will withhold final judgement.

I was told that by March they will allow me to take it out, if it is still available.

I am going to try and go in with an open mind. But in all honesty this thing does have a monster of a job in convincing me to ditch the 1150.

You guys do ride a pretty slick looking machine though. Like I said, it seems to be very compact front to rear and this could be an illusion. Narrow, yup, especially compared to the boxer, but I don't mind the width. Seat, not able to judge, I only sat on the thing in the shop. Wind screen, ditto, though it seemed a bit short. Controls, that will take a bit of getting used to, but I suspect it would only be a few hundred miles till I figured out where what is and be able to remember.

Yup, this will be interesting.........
  16. Flydream

Oddometer:
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That color would be matte gray, love it myself. Even fully fueled the S10 feels very light lifting it off its center stand and wheeling it about. Much lighter than my friend's GSA. Lots of seat choices if the stock one doesn't cut it for you and handlebar risers are a fairly common mod as well. Tobinators and the like make it easy to adjust the windscreen, but tall folks like to change it for a bigger one. Good luck with the test ride.
  18. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    The bikes are shipped with the batteries in them, just not connected. I'd expect the oil to be in too, but don't know for sure. Seem to recall motors are run in during assembly. At least enough to check for leaks, etc. So the bike may only have been missing fuel, despite what the sales guy said.

The Super Ten wears it's weight well, and rides like a lighter bike than the GS, or at least I thought so. Engine on the GS is smoother, but compared to new, the S10 will smooth our more after break in too.

The bike goes up on the center stand very easily w/o bags. If you've been on those Germanic models for some time, you'll be surprised what has changed in the world. It's really cool now, they have water cooling! :wink: Not just water run thru some of the oil lines.
  19. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    HA!

I only had the sales guy to go on. I'll take your word on the battery.

Hoiking the GS up on the center stand is a bit of a pull, but I've grown accustomed to it.

I'm not really in the market, just wanted to try it out, you know? I can't see me getting rid of the GS, 79,000 without a hitch, just routine maintenance? C'mon, what's not to love?

Actually, I bought it used, the PO did the clutch and the splines, so I've gotten it in possibly better shape then had I bought it new. But it has been a great all arounder, and a blast to ride.

Like I said, I think the S10 is a great looking bike, and from all accounts a great riding one, but I'm happy with what I got. And the fact that mine is paid for, just can't see going in debt. I WILL ride this thing (or the next one they get in), but buy? I doubt.

Plus, SWMBO will have full veto power, and I am pretty sure what her say in the matter would be.
  20. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Glad you're happy with the GS, and I sincerely hope it stays healthy for you and keeps going down the road.

The FJR when fully loaded in rally trim with a full fuel cell was sometimes a bit of a heft to get off the side stand. The Super Ten, in the same full rally trim with fuel cell is a bit more work than in day ride trim too. I think we get used to what we are riding and it's not that big a deal. When I ride BMWs it takes me to the end of the block to adjust to the non-standard turn signal, and usually a few more turns before I re-adjust to the cancel being on the right, with a separate switch.

Sort of like HDs, but with more moving parts. :evil

Try the Super Ten when you get a chance. It might make the list when you are ready to move on.