Chicken on a Mission

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lee Gunn, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a chicken - I admit it but even chickens sometimes embrace their inner chicken power and try to fly. Today was my 1st time EVER on a Trials bike, ever on a dirt track, ever wearing dirt boots and ever going through mud, slush, over dirt piles and rocks.

[​IMG]

(and I'm grinning)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys and girls at the Oakleigh Motor Cycle Club at the Melbourne MotoTrials Centre are THE FRIENDLIEST, NICEST, MOST SUPPORTIVE, BIKE ENTHUSIAST we have ever met.
    The president Ryan Nothard spent a couple of hours turtoring me in the art of Trials riding even to the point of lending me his bike, The Vice President, Peter King went out of his way to invite Team Gunn to share in the BBQ and a cup of coffee. His son SAM is a magic rider and one of the nicest 15 year old boys I've ever met.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]The

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

young sam king and the mono

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secretary Rob Murdoch followed me round the track, helping me to navigate the mud and slush (chickens hate mud)

Rocky
    [​IMG]

Rocky lent Young Razor his Gasgas and spent a long time tutoring him in tight slow corners - a challenge for Young Razor who is more prone to parking his bike half way up trees than mastering the fine art of clutch control.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Vixstar also got a turn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Guys - this little chicken will be back for more.

[​IMG]

Young Razor Power tool Lee Gunn

This chicken has a lot to learn about posture on a Trials bike - this was me on my first lap - Young Razors jersey is a little on the big side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bens beautiful 320 4 stroke Sherco

[​IMG]
  2. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great way to spend a day:clap
  3. Hunsta

Hunsta Have guns will hunt

Oddometer:
    I think that bike they gave you Lee was a dud. Its got no seat.:poser

looks like a fun day.
  4. terry aust

terry aust Born again KTM owner

Oddometer:
    Hi Lee,
    I am very sorry for not introducing myself to you today at the trials meet, I was the one talking to Ben when we were packing up. I am surprised you did not notice the ADV stickers on my Sherco!!!
    I am glad you enjoyed your day, as I told you 12 month ago Ben invited me for a ride and from then have been hocked. I am still amazed how everbody is so willing to help and the way they just hand over there gear and bikes for you to try. I am sure you can now see how this type of riding really helps you with ever other form of bike riding, these guys/girls really know how to control throttle/brake and balances.
    I am sure I will see you down there again.
  5. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry - the passion everyone has for this amazing motorcycling is infectious. I am sorry I didn't pick the Adv sticker on your bike - but I did see them on the Ute - I gather that is yours.

I just know I will be a better motorcyclist by learning Trials riding - but I think I will be a chicken for a long time - what I saw today - the tyre jumping, the verticle rock climbs, the log hopping is AMAZING.

:tb You guys are so impressive :pynd

It was nice to meet you and yes - I'll Be Back.

Lee
  6. terry aust

Oddometer:
    I agree they sure can ride and what I find even more impressive is when you have a go at what looks the smaller easier stuff "IT AINT"
    If I had an altimeter on my bike it would have not read much above sea level, but it sure is fun learning the basics, again.
    Is the next step to get yourself a bike?
  7. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes - we have already been looking on the net - but first an open face helmet and new Trials boots - and then I'll have to work out how many of Team Gunn intend to ride - we might need two bikes - LOL

as to the simple looking stuff - standing up without a tank between my knees really tests the balance. maintaining the speed over the dirt piles (I suppose they are really jumps but for me they are mountains), getting my outside knee out when I'm turning, moving the bike under me not with me - I can not stop thinking about it - wo ho
  8. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    From this...

[​IMG]

to a little more like it used to look....

[​IMG]

I remember hearing the cheer and squeal of delight as you crossed those mounds for the first time.

When you are ready for a fright, have a go on mine..... for some reason the 320 4 stroke seems to scare most people who ride it....

Sorry if I seemed a little rude/suprised when you can up to us in the afternoon, Terry and I were just trying to figure out who you were.
  9. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    ADV try Trials day?

I have bought it up at the club before and it is a possibility.

If we have a number of ADV riders who would like to have a try trials day we could arrange it on a non club day. With a bit of planing we could have a number of bikes available and a few to help out with basic tips.

All you need is boots a helmet (preferably open faced) and $10 to sign up for the day.

Of course as Lee says you are always welcome to come on any Sunday the club is open and generally you'll find yourself on a bike if interested.

The clubs website

Even ADV Rider has a trials section now
  10. Lee Gunn

Lee Gunn Long timer

Oddometer:
    it appears that I am the rude one for not introducing myself to both you and terry - and yes I would LOVE to have a ride on your bike and scare myself silly (or sillier). I told Powertool that it was a 4 stroke but he said it was a two - I knew it was a 4 but didn't figure it as a 320 - really a 320- you really throw that bike around like it is a light weight.

And yes the team cheered and I squealed when I went over those mounds - and then I fell off - LOL My first ever off on dirt.
    And then I went round that little circuit five more times until I got my body in the right places over the mounds - next up - jumps

Bring on the ADV Trials Day
  11. bend27

bend27 by hook or by crook

Oddometer:
    ADV try Trials day?

If we have a number of ADV riders who would like to have a try trials day we could arrange it on a non club day. With a bit of planing we could have a number of bikes available and a few to help out with basic tips.

Count me in for that Auto
  12. terry aust

Oddometer:
    Sounds great Ben, I am more then happy to put my bike up, could you supply me a little petrol because that 5 ltrs you gave me has all gone.:D
  13. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about another litre to see you through the rest of the year? There was about 200 mls of oil I gave you too wasn't there?... should be good through about mid 2015 with that...

But you got that Clake thing, they'll all go soft...Nevs got one too, seeing as we are volunteering his bike while he's away.
  14. terry aust

Oddometer:
    I am not sure, have to ask the wife she's the one that used the 2 stroke fuel up on the garden blower, that is so sad when I think about it.
  15. Autostream

Autostream Long timer

Oddometer:
    You hadn't noticed your fuel consumption had gone up like 4000% until it was too late huh ?
  16. terry aust

Oddometer:
    The same as my hair loss,:D
  17. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Ben
    Include all 3 of us, with bells on! Like I said in Strath Creek,, I've competed in 22 types of motorsport - and Trials is the only one where I've come last.
    Steve
  18. GodSilla

GodSilla I did that.

Oddometer:
    Good on you Auto. :thumb

I'm pretty sure that many of the inmates here would see enormous benefits from some trials tuition.

As stated, it looks so easy, and how come that rider on a dedicated trials bike can't climb/cross/clear that obstacle? Then you try it, and see how "uneasy" it really is.

The best part is learning all the required skills at walking pace, particularly reading the surface for traction (both ends). I'd recommend to all within distance to roll up and have a try, you won't find more fun with your pants on (not without me there anyway:lol3).
  19. Miss Jane

Miss Jane Ride like a girl

Oddometer:
    Hey Lee that looks sooooooo much fun.

Hey Auto can I have a go too. Tinnman and I are both keen for an ADV trials day. Very happy to contribute to fuel cost etc too.
  20. prestonpaul

prestonpaul What?

Oddometer:
    I'd be up for it as well, as long as dates don't clash with work :puke1