Washed my bike, then it breaks down. Help? ('00 R1150GS)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Limes, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an '00 R1150GS with about 80k miles.

So I washed my bike in my driveway, hadnt been done in almost a year. after wiping it down I drive around the block and then bring it back down to wipe it down again. no problem. I finish up and then maybe an hour later I go to ride to the gym. .25 miles from home the engine cut out and i pushed it home. it cranks over but thats it wont start back up.

What should I look at? Fuses appear fine. (besides remember not to wash the bike! :evil )

Cheers
  2. guitstik

guitstik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the HES got wet. Deteriorating insulation could be causing it to short out.
  3. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Is there spark? Does the fuel pump run?

Could it be the HES wiring? I've had no personal experience but others have mentioned crumbling insulation on the HES wires.

Good luck
  4. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a classic HES symptom. HES problems were more prevalent in teh 1100 series, but you may be a little unlucky.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    I agree. As the 1150's get older though, I suspect we will see more of them with this issue.:deal
    german996 likes this.
  6. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BTW, I just got back from an epic 5 week New Zealand ride with 2 friends.

Here is a sneak peak before I do a full ride report

:D

[​IMG]
  8. space

space a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer:
    WOW. Beautiful pic. I look forward to the ride report.

And yeah, HES. Exact same thing happened to me at one point when I washed my '00 R1150GS. Follow the guide and you should be back in business.
  9. Mens Rea

Mens Rea Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I would put in a good word for these guys:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

I got an HES from them when the one in my 1150r went south. No affiliation, but good price & service.

When I took out the old one, there is a narrow spot where the wires pass through the engine case where it seemed like the wires had glued or melted themselves into place.

Edit: excellent pic!
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
  11. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Limes, Is that my old GS? Do you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn on the key? If not, double check the fuel pump fuse under the seat. How old is the gas? I would try some fresh fuel. Good chance it has absorbed some water. I think it's unlikely to be the HES that's preventing it from starting. It may be rebelling for not being washed as I always kept that bike detailed. :lol3 Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
  12. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    Go on, make me homesick. Hope you had a great trip.
  13. Geralt

Geralt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you met?.... nah this can't be...
    [​IMG]
  14. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    May i suggest you unplug the TPS lead and check for moisture, costs nothing, real quick.:*sip*
    german996 likes this.
  15. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha it sure is your old bike. Ive really enjoyed it. I feel *Busted!* for not keeping it as clean as you did! So this issue happened just before I left for 6 weeks in NZ. Now I am back, I threw the bike on the battery tender, and then when I went to start it last night, it fired right up!! I am still going to inspect the HES wiring and replace it if it is corroded as a preventative measure.

Thanks man.
  16. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on the HES, my 02 GSA unit failed at 84K, same exact scenario, after wash she died going down the driveway. Took the unit out, inspected it, let it dry for a few days off the bike and reinstalled, no joy, totally dead.

Beemer Boneyard to the rescue, installed new unit and new ALT belt and fired her right up.

If it happened once after a wash it's going to happen again and maybe farther from home this time, I would just replace the damn thing for piece of mind.

Good Luck,
    Rich
    kbroderick likes this.
  17. Steve W.

Steve W. Boxer Pilot

Oddometer:
    Take a look at this 4 conductor shielded cable at mcmaster carr part# 8219K56

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/120/821/=qjv84s

Works for me.
    Cheers
    Steve
  18. joerocket

joerocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my 2 cents worth suggestion. Assuming your cranking power is good than it is Fuel(at injector) + Air(throttle flaps open ) + Sparks (blue sparks at plug tip) = combustion.

If combustion is fine than, other more serious stuff such as compression, timing chain, choked exhaust, etc.

If any not present than you wont start. So check their presence. good luck friend.
  19. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Limes , I'm sure you'll get it sorted out. I still think it may be a fuel contamination issue. Let us know what you find. Also looking forward to your NZ ride report.
    The patient[​IMG]
  20. Limes

Limes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Success! I put it all back together last night and it fired right up. went on a test ride today and no problems. I did find the insulation was crumbling on the HES harness in accordance with where the manual says. I rewired the sensors and good to go. Thanks everyone!

:1drink