2014 Alcan5000 announced

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Pantah, Mar 29, 2012.

1. The Rat

The Rat trust me!

Oddometer:
    LOL, 100 miles is the range on the HP2 :deal figured aux gas would be needed either way. Lord knows, easier to carry spare fuel in the Ural...
  2. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    I read somewhere that rotopacks might be allowed .
  3. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Deposit paid, I'm hopefully in. Although it appears I'm second on the wait list. Hopefully that bottle of single malt I sent can smooth things over:wink:

Debating on the bike of choice right now. Currently building a Ninja 650 with KTM running gear. Should be a perfect mount for the trip, only thing I worry about is the stock air filter is not really up to the task of large amounts of dirt and is a pain in the ass to get to. Oh well, I have a bunch of time to work it out.

Also have a 2012 Husky TXC511 that I can mod for more fuel and top end.

Or the FZ1 with 145HP and KTM 950 running gear:lol3
  4. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    pics of the ninja?

:lurk
  5. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Click the link in my sig line:deal

[​IMG]
  6. bigbadandugly

bigbadandugly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just ahead of you on the wait list, sitting in the on deck circle. Send a bottle of single malt my way and I'll swap spots with you. Trust me - you sleep much better for the next 17 months knowing you're the first call Jerry makes ;)
  7. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    He already called me....said youre screwed. Merry christmas...:D
  8. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    What are your guys ideas on logistic for bike transport ?
    Anchorage to Seattle is 2300 miles, do most riders intend to ride back after the event?
    I have a enclosed box truck that could hold 8 bikes with gear and I'm possibly thinking I could transport the bikes to Seattle from Colorado then ferry the truck to Anchorage and drive it back to the main land after the event this could be a chance for some to Rock Star this event by flying into Seattle and then home from Anchorage

Dave Smoljan
  9. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    If everything falls in place, I'm gonna take a couple of weeks to ride back like I did the other two times.

No time for sightseeing on the rally. Every day you've got to hustle to make the TSD sections on time.
  10. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    If anyone on the East coast, VA, MD, Carolinas etc wants to team up for a truck trip to Seattle, I'm game. I'm in Pittsburgh. I have a 4 door Tundra and 6x10 trailer. And scintillating conversation:D
  11. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode back to Seattle the last two times. Depart at dawn, overnight in Whitehorse, Fort Nelson, 100 Mile House, and half day into Kirkland. Lots didn't ride, though. The trailers and trucks were packed.
  12. thencamebronson

thencamebronson Takin' a trip?

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Along with Officer Leroy and Superleggera we will be a father and sons team. Glad that I have time to make a bike choice. I'm thinking KTM 690 so I don't have to listen to OL tell me how much better his bike is than mine. It looks like F650GS's seem to be a popular choice in the past, and they have a blue and white circle on them, so that is a plus.
  13. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeepers, a whole herd of you. :eek1 //// OL gave me some gas over my Yamaha, so maybe I take my 690 if I can get it there and back reasonably.
  14. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Geez, looks like I have the lone KLR in the group. I would have thought there would be one or two more. I am really racking my brain to think if there is any more I might need to do to it to really have it ready and capable. There is not much left to modify at this point....

I know I know, there is a lot of lipstick on that particular pig.
  15. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    I wish my boys could go, but they are not quite old enough yet. They will be with me in spirit though....we had this done up just for the rally

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356647813.701531.jpg
  16. officerleroy

officerleroy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bad choice old man, you take away any excuse you might have if we're on the same bike :lol3
  17. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    IIRC

KLR Won its class in 2006 :deal After riding to Seattle and then riding home to the Midwest .
  18. thencamebronson

Oddometer:
    OL is good at that. I suppose it is genetic. :brow
  19. thencamebronson

Oddometer:
    Well played. Punk.
  20. Stinky151

Oddometer:
    Well, as it looks now I am riding there and then back to Montana. The ferry is just too much money at the moment.

Between the engine work and the new clutch (installed today) I don't think it is really fair to compare mine to a regular KLR either. Now as long as I don't get killed figuring the Rekluse out, I should be good. It nearly did the job in the stall at work today.

My new goal for the rally, beyond just finishing, is to finish without doing anything terribly stupid. Time will tell, today was not a good sign though.