What smells hot on my f800gs?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by XPEDITIONREADY, Nov 17, 2011.

1. XPEDITIONREADY

XPEDITIONREADY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 F800gs with a little over 3000 miles on the clock. The bike does not run hot, per the instruments, but has had a hot smell to it for the last couple hundred miles. My question is, what on the 800 could be creating this smell? I have looked up and down the exhaust for anything touching, or chain lube stuck to the pipe, or anything like that but have come up with nothing.

Any suggestions on things to check before going and dealing with a dealership I do not trust?

Thanks,
    Ben
  2. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is just a tiny bit of road funk on a pipe where you can't see it. Any thing unusual on the ride prior to the smell? Extended high speed, extended idle time? Lastly, does it seem? to be hot or just the smell?
  3. Dirt Junkie

Dirt Junkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah! Maybe you should lift your boots 1cm higher when dragging them when you pull away
    :rofl
  4. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    I found a pee tube trapped between the cat and my bash plate (MOD). Was driving me nuts 'til I found that. Hope it helps.
  5. outrunner

outrunner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be a build up of oil in the sprocket cover (from chain lube) dripping on to the header pipe just in front of the cat, mine did that until I turned down the Scottoiler. :clap

Andy.
  6. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Megan Fox would smell hot on any bike, even a KLR! With a BMW F800GS you should have no trouble at all getting a girl like her excited!
  7. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My guess is your wallet :lol3
  8. VintageBandit

VintageBandit Cat in the Hat

Oddometer:
    Hey I just went outside on my lunch break, found the tube and what do you know it had signs of burns on it. I relocated it and I bet that cured tge smell. Thanks for the great tip and question. The bike even looks better with the long tube no protruding so far out.

Thanks

VB
  9. lmclamore

lmclamore Citation Collector

Oddometer:
    Something is burning on mine too. I just checked the pee tube and mine isn't touching anything hot and shows no sign of melting. The smell is intermittent but definitely smells like burning wax, rubber, or plastic. Every 2-3 days when I come to a stop I can smell it. Then nothing the rest of the time. Similar to the OP, I inspected every part of the cat and pipe that I can see without disassembly and can't find any evidence of burning chain lube, etc.

???...No smell today.
  10. BudMor

BudMor Can't have just one.

Oddometer:
    Mine was the heel of my left boot touching the side of the cat or pipe once in awhile.
  11. VintageBandit

VintageBandit Cat in the Hat

Oddometer:
    The ride home tonight was great. When I arrived at the garage I didn't smell that familiar burning smell. I think the wind was pushing the tube into the cat depending on how fast or hard I was cornering before, I think I got the problem licked. Thanks again!
  12. Ron Wardman

Ron Wardman Beemerguy

Oddometer:
    Chain lub can often smell things up a bit, It tends to collect and fall onto the pipe.
  13. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, I thought it was just me. Mine smells like fertilizer, crazy. I bought the 2011 used with 9K miles and it came with a Wolfman tank bag. I thought for sure the person I bought it from must have stored the bag on the same shelf in his garage as the fertilizer and pesticides. The smell was seriously strong every time I stopped. I've seen the seller since and he assured me he never smelled anything and the bag was always on the bike. I even took it to the dealer to have a sniff, of course that was the rare day it wasn't stinky. So it could be that I have a stinky pee-tube? Wait 'till I tell my wife this one.