Ditching Garmin for android or iphone as GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by twowheelpilot, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ADWrider

ADWrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jan, PM sent.
  2. ADWrider

Oddometer:
    Janliness emailed me a track and I was able to import it into the iPhone app. I also was able to download a .GPX track from someone's website **credit to Cannontracks (http://dco43054.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35&sid=31f972890004a7e917029119c3776b8d), email it to myself and open it with the app on my iPhone. That is EXACTLY what I wanted to be able to do.

This app is really impressing me with what it does. With a good mounting setup and external power to the phone I don't see myself buying a Garmin anytime soon.
  3. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    You left me confused there.
    Yes, TomTom is mother of road GPS software, it's version for Android with maps for all US cost about 50 Euro. How is it same with TomTom Rider price? Garmin (ex-NAvigon) for Android road for 40 countries Europe (maps included) costs about 60 Euro. Sygic for all world (maps and maps update included) costs about 65 Euro now.
    Maverick for offroad nav costs about 5 Euro and you can do any kind of geocaching and hooking up different maps (just example, it is not only one software for that)
    TomTom Rider GPS device costs 400 Euro, OK, old model on sale it will be 200 Euro with outdated maps. Garmin 350 costs 400 Euro. So.... :huh
  5. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    You can buy a car model gps for under 100$ usually. I think that's what he's getting at. comparing a phone to a Tom Tom Rider is apples and oranges...
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    well, buying outdated gps with small screen for 90 bucks is not same with fresh software with map update guarantee for 50 bucks, so...this is not comparable either. Most expensive GPS worth nothing without good maps.Its just nothing is comparabld then. I rode probably 30000 km with my Android Galaxy and Sygic software in rain and sh.t and never had problem. Used hard waterproof shell from Ultimate addons. As for offroad it is well known that neither TomTom Rider 1 nor 5 able to perform offroad navigation. Judt no such function.
  7. Panama

Panama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys ,
    I have read all 6 pages of this thread and still not sure what I should use. I have a HTC EVO 4G that is not on any cell network that I use for pandora radio in the house on wifi.

I also have a Iphone 5 sprint but dont want to roam outside the USA. I would like to use the evo 4G and load the mini sd card with maps that can get me through central america on the built in GPS signal.

I have a rugged case and DC power on the KLR.

Does anyone have experience with no cell service on a smart phone GPS in central america?

Or should I just buy a real gps?

Blake
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does not matter are you in LA or Asia or Siberia. If your phone got GPS module - it will work. Your HTC phone have this module, so all you need is offline navigation app and memory card and SIM card that phone will start with. Switch off sign to network to manual and wrong one (it is easiest way) and you will not be using any traffic and will not be able to answer any calls = no roaming.

This is one variant.
  9. Panama

Panama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok Cool , What program/Maps work best in this mode in Mexico and central america? Also aside from showing my location can I enter a address and get driving directions?
  10. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, you can have any kind of navigation - there is turn by turn road navigation, there is loads or dirt cheap geocaching kind of navigation (but maps supplied usually by community) etc.

For turn by turn - choice are mostly should be based on maps quality and coverage.
    Go to each site and check maps coverage by country
    Teleatlas maps based.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/maps/world-maps/#tab:tab3

Garmin (navtech too) maps based:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/karten_services/karten/index.html

Teleatlas maps based:
    http://www.sygic.com/en/business:map-coverage

this is from top of my head. I am sure colleagues in US and LA will advice more.
  11. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just dont want to break my phone - when I fall I usually need it, so better in my pocket on my person then strapped to the bike!
  12. Panama

Panama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a spare android with a weather proof case. I like the idea of being able to take a picture, check email, send a face book (on wifi) update to let the family know i am a live and in nicaragua or guatemala ....

So if I could have the GPS /map function work without any data I think this could be a winner.

I have been trying to install maps but cant get them to sync with GPS apps on mini sd card.

What app and maps are you guys using without cell contract or wifi outside of the country?
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait. What software you using and what maps?
    I listed what I am using a bit higher in tread.
  14. Panama

Panama Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bluesman,

I see you use Sygic software. Per the website they do not have maps for mexic or any of central america. Can you use other maps on Sygic software?
  15. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    nope. Same like with usual gps. Sygic use TomTom maps. But you can try Navigon with its maps. They are Garmin and they list Mexico in coverage. But. If you spend some time on forums of android gps addicts - there are ways to even export google maps for offline use with free offline navigation apps available on Google play.
  16. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I've been using OSMand+ and am presently on the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

I've been trying to download contour lines on my Samsung Rugby but when I do I keep getting an error message that says something like sd data storage not available.

Anyone know how to get around that? I've got plenty of space on both the phone and the sd card but it makes it looks like I have 0 GB on the phone?
  17. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    My wife's been promising me a Nexus7 tablet for a while now. I was planning on sliding it into the clear top of my Wolfman Tankbag and using it as GPS for DS'n. I have been playing around with the idea of removing my speedo assembly and mounting an old Garmin StreetpilotIII in it's place.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    my 60csx is staying on my bike and mapsource on my computer is working just fine. i can easily design & upload routes, plus upload tracks and easily work with downloaded .gpx files.

it's hardwired to the bike, has 18hr battery life (if needed) as a backup with AA batteries i can recharge or even buy at a store. it's rugged as hell and waterproof by itself.

i can also use it of the bike hiking and mtb.

i see no reason to create a replacement solution for a problem that does not exist.
  19. ADWrider

Oddometer:
    That's all good, but the whole point is for those of us that currently do NOT have a dedicated GPS at the moment, there are some solutions that allow a phone to work in its place. I've been playing with the Motionx app on my iPhone and it seems to work pretty good so far. Maybe someday ill drop $500 on a dedicated unit but for now this thread has been helpful.
  20. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    OK the actual error message I'm getting on OSMand is

"Save directory on SD card not available "

It gives me no clues or anything else from there as to what to do. So it wont let load regional countour lines. Both the unit and SD card have space ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2