Collector Box

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mabs, Jun 13, 2002.

1. mabs

mabs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok call me a wuss but I'm ready to ditch my two bros exhaust 'cause it's to freakin loud.
    I'm looking at doing away with the converter and using the stock can and I have acouple questions.

Without needing to know about negative pressure waves and acoustic pressure differentials etc., is there a performance advantage to either a collector box or a y pipe?

Is that lovely staintune box gonna throw off as much ankle/tranny roasting heat as a cat?
  2. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Not by a long shot Mabs, it's tiny by comparison as the pic below shows. Also, in case you're considering going the whole Staintune route, know that the muffler is super-quiet or pleasantly rumbles depending on your mood, and it takes just one bolt and a few seconds to make the switch. Drops about 16lbs too. I couldn't be more pleased with the 'Tune. Here's a recent thread devoted to the topic, with more pics.

Attached Files:

3. mabs

mabs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info and nice photo shoot Arch.
    I guess I got ahead of myself but I'm ass u ming that the staintune collector will bolt up to the stock muffler?
  4. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    They claim that all the pieces interchange in any combination - Staintune muffler with stock cat/collector or stock muffler with Staintune collector. Didn't try all the combos myself Mabs, but it seems the case just from looking at it all...
  5. dapolrbear

dapolrbear Buddah Head Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mabs, ass uming you have the 1150GS, yes everything is interchangeable.

You can run the Y pipe or the catless collector box WITH stock can, and you can run stock cat with Remus, Staintune, Sebring, etc. cans. Mix and match mang its great.

I'm using the Remus collector with the Remus Ti can, not too loud, just right.
  6. mabs

mabs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was askin 'cause my two bros y pipe and can don't bolt up to anything else but themselves unless you want to do some serious McGuyvering.
  7. dapolrbear

Oddometer:
    Well thats pretty F' ed up of them......

I know for a fact that Remus, Sebring is interchangeable......now i'm not 100% sure about the Staintune, but there is a good chance that it will be.
  8. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Enjoying the ride

Oddometer:
    Dapolrbear,

I'm going to get a Remus setup identical to yours, but I've never heard your setup. I've heard a Y-pipe and 2BrosTi, and that was too loud with an unpleasent tone. Could you compare your sound to other exhaust notes you've heard.

Patrick
  9. dapolrbear

Oddometer:
    Patrick,

I've never heard anyother exhaust on the GS, besides the stock super sewing machine sound it used to put out.

The Remus mid muffler without the cat is lighter in weight and cooler in temp. compared with stock. The rear muffler (can) is Ti and the combo of the 2 pieces creates a sportier, deeper tone, which I like very much. It is not loud by anymeans, louder than stock but not anoying at all. Hope that helped.
  10. glasuritblack

glasuritblack GS Geek

Oddometer:
    I had the 2 Bros with the C5 oval can. Looked cool, sounded great until you try and take a 20 minute plus ride. Bought the Staintune with collector box and can. Sounds just perfect. Plenty growl, but very pleasant at crusing speeds. My buddy has a Remus with a "Y" pipe. We both agree it's too loud as well, but not as bad as the 2 Bros. Stainitune also wins the quality and craftsmanship award. It's finished nicer than any of em'. Plus, they came down considerably in price.

GSY,
    Colorado
  11. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Does it backfire like the y-pipe?
  12. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    No backfiring here Fishmeister. FWIW, it has no other engine changes, stock chip & such.

:1drink
  13. glasuritblack

glasuritblack GS Geek

Oddometer:
    Fish, I used to get a very occasional backfire. I just took off the collector box because I was getting blow-by on the header pipes. I did as Staintune recommended on their website, which is to use hi-temp RTV silicone at this connection. I had to clean the box real good with contact cleaner as there were 8000+ miles worth of carbon in the tubes. I added the black goo and let it set for 24 hours. Upon the first ride, I noticed it was even a tad quieter at riding position. The minimal backfiring disappeared and there's no more carbon buildup spewing out on the headers. I'd recommend anyone do this if they buy the Staintune. Plus it lubricates the pipes as you install the collector. Good stuff Mon!

GSY
    Colorado
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, GSY.