The History Buff Thread [For those seeking the past]

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Jeff B, May 4, 2013.

1. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    When coming back from working in York, PA this past week I figured I'd stop in Gettyburg on my way to Pgh and spend what was left of the afternoon checking out this historic area. It didn't take me long to relize that you would need a hell of alot more time to even scratch the surface.

Is there anybody here that has taken in the whole Gettysburg experience that would give some advice how to plan a visit. I'd be prepared to break it up into multiple visits of course.

Also, my wife is into the paranormal thing. I,m told that this is a hotspot for this kinda stuff.

[​IMG]
  2. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    Huh, I'm surprised that this thread has gone w/o any chatter.

I'm sure that more than a few of us have some curiosity into our heritage.
  3. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    my ancestors came here in 1632 and owned one of the original 9 squares of New Haven (CT)
  4. SherpaT

SherpaT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Gettysburg self guided auto tour is an excellent way to get the feel of the battle. It tells the story without taking sides, or glorifying the battle. There are multiple stops along the route, and it talks about the strategies, and how they played out. Some of the areas are really moving. Take the time to walk Pickett's charge, and try to imagine what those kids were thinking when they walked out of the woods. I don't believe in ghosts, but if they did exist, you would find them here!

http://www.gettysburgphotographs.com/map.html

The Appalachian Brewing Company is right beside Lee's headquarters, and has great beer and pub style food.
  5. NYTrainer

NYTrainer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a child, I was there in 1963 for the 100th anniversary of the battle & was there this past March. (150th this Summer) with a couple of short visits in between.

First, see the PBS show on the Battle. Better than the actual movie, "Gettysburg".

When you arrive, I would start with a stop at the beautiful new visitors center. Lots of information. I purchased a self-guided CD Audio Tour which gives highlights of the battle & coordinates with posted stops on the roads around the battlefield.

Many roads are now one-way, which prevents backtracking by car. This helps with traffic flow, but makes a long drive if you want to get back to a certain spot. Next time, I am taking my bicycle.

We stayed at the Quality Inn because it is next to the battlefield. It WAS next to the visitor center, which was torn down when the new one was built in a different location. Not great, but not a bad place, either.

During the Summer the place is very crowded with lots of traffic & virtually no parking in town.

I have found that the more you learn about the battle, the more you want to know. My goal is to spend an entire week there.

I hope this helps. Enjoy!
  6. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
  7. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    This sign is posted along Rockefeller Road near Richford, NY.

[​IMG]

The area is called Michigan Hill.

Lucy Avery the grandmother of John Davison Rockefeller of Standard Oil fame
    [​IMG]

Lucy Avery, daughter of Miles Avery, was born February 11, 1786 at Great Barrington, Massachusetts and married Godfrey Rockefeller, November 20, 1806 at Livingston, New York. Godfrey Rockefeller was a farmer. He was born September 24, 1783 at Livingston, New York, died September 18, 1857 at Richford, New York. Lucy Avery died April 6, 1867 at Richford, New York. Lucy and Godfrey Rockefeller had nine children: Melinda, Olympha, William, Norman, Sally Ann, Jacob, Polly, Miranda, and Egbert.

William Avery Rockefeller, third child of Lucy Avery Rockefeller, was born November 13, 1810, at Granger, New York and married Eliza Davison, February 18, 1837 at Niles, New York. Eliza died March 28, 1889, at the home of her son William, in new York City. William Avery and Eliza Davison Rockefeller had six children: Lucy, John Davison, William, Mary Ann, twins - Franklin and Francis. William was a "botanic physician", an itinerant dispenser of cure-alls and was referred to as Doctor. He drove the finest of horses, provided well for his family and saw that his children had the finest education. He loved the out-of-doors and taught his sons to appreciate it and many other activities; swimming, skating, horsemanship and the appreciation of music. At the time of his wife's death the whereabouts of Dr. Avery Rockefeller was unknown. The following story was released after her death. A reporter uncovered evidence at Freeport, Illinois that William Avery Rockefeller deserted his wife Eliza shortly after the Civil War, adopting the name Dr. William Levingston. He concluded a bigamist marriage with a Miss Margaret L. Allen in Ontario. Later they moved to Freeport and also lived part of the time on the "bridegroom's" 400 acre ranch on the Park River in North Dakota. He died May 11, 1906 at the age of 96 and was buried in an unmarked grave in Freeport. In spite of the evidence, Dr. William Avery Rockefeller remains a man of mystery.
    http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~avery/avery/pages/53.htm

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~avery/avery/pages/53.htm

In our neck of the woods are many graves of the extended Rockefeller family. Harford Mills and West Hill Richford Cemeteries.

Last Sunday my wife and I visited the Harford Mills, NY Cemetery.

[​IMG]

We located several graves.
    The stones seem to be of cast concrete and are worn and covered with fungus and lichen. None appear to be maintained.
    The names are hard to read.
    It makes one wonder why the Rockfellers are not interested in maintaining
    the graves of their family members.
    They spend fortunes maintaining archives at "Kykuit"

Some of the historical accounts of William Avery Rockefeller do not match the
    local lore.

Sally Ann Boise Rockefeller was married to Egbert Rockefeller.
    Her husband and all her children died before her.
    She is buried in the Harford Mills Cemetery.
    We went to find her grave.

So Jeff the next time you come visit plan on spending time riding around.

George
  8. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
  9. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    "When coming back from working in York, PA this past week I figured I'd stop in Gettyburg on my way to Pgh and spend what was left of the afternoon checking out this historic area. It didn't take me long to relize that you would need a hell of alot more time to even scratch the surface."

You had no time to visit:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Factory_Tours/york.html

[​IMG]

????

George
  10. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    No. But I plan to on my next time in York.

I'm told the York Barbell Weightlifting Hall of Fame Museum is also interesting.

Our company will be sending us to York from time to time, so I'm sure I'll eventually make it to both.

That is strange about the lack of maintenance on the Rockefeller graves. I wonder what the inside story is?
  11. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    One of the two buildings I work at in York is on Eden Road across from the Harley plant. I will be at that location tomorrow morning.

I have never been to the Harley Plant. :shog
  12. Jeff B

Jeff B Socially Awkward

Oddometer:
    I've even heard that they offer a Segway tour. :deal

[​IMG]
  13. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: