KLRE650 super Rio build thread.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by repsolrider, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Adding a piece of steel to the outside of the frame in that area sounds like a good idea. Do you have any pictures of the frame failure? I'd be interested in seeing that. Repsolrider is correct. The KLRE650 does not use the upper KLR engine mount. Without the engine hanging from that mount the frame is probably not experiencing the same stresses as it is with the stock KLR engine. It might be fine as is. An upgrade in that area may be the wise course of action. I don't want a frame failure. Thanks for bringing this up!

No comments on my KLRE picture?

SamM
  2. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're a tease...........:lurk

Here's a picture of my frame crack. From what I understand this failure is not at all uncommon. (from my project bike http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699117 )

[​IMG]
  3. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:

Just say no to crack.

This build type ( Versys/KLR hybrid thingy) may be the perfect adventure touring bike. You all the benefits with almost none of the drawbacks. I am more impressed everytime I see it. If I had the skills, I'd try one myself. But sadly...................., no. I have enough half-finished projects rolling around in the garage anyway. Plus another half dozen rolling around in my mostly functioning head.
  4. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I've seen that bike before. Oh yeah, here it is, circa 1986.... :lol3 :wink:

What's old is new again. :thumb

Seriously, nice build repsol. Since you aren't going to produce these, care to share detailed build plans so others can give this a go? :ear

-SM

Attached Files:

5. Ko

Ko Observant as never

Oddometer:
    umm, both bikes have two wheels :deal
    Repsol's bike looks more finished than the factory one :clap

6. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
    ~

Yep, the Guzzi and Repsol's bike both have two wheels, a front disc brake, etc....

But check out the engine oil sump on the Guzzi hanging below the frame rails. Something tells me that's a technicolor disaster just waiting to happen. :lol3

I think Repsolrider has built one of the most amazing and well thought out "Specials" I've ever seen, and his attention to detail and *finish* of the bike is simply extraordinary. Kudos to you, Repsolrider! :clap

I only wish either you or Kawasaki were building such a bike where all of us drooling over it could buy it! :2cry

I sure rather have it than that Guzzi, or my Versys.

Dallara

~
  7. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    ROFL. Both of you completely missed the point. :rofl

I agree Dalara, it's a great build. Why? Because this is a segment that most manufacturers have left behind (hence my comment "what's old is new again"). Smaller, lighter, more economical (to buy and to operate!....aka NOT BMW F800s, Triumph 800's, etc. at $13k+ :eek1 ), capable on any surface (truly capable on both sealed and unsealed roads), comfortable....that's the opposite direction of most manufacturers now. Today it's bigger, BIGGER, and BIGGER, and with it MUCH more expense and complexity.

I wasn't saying those two bikes are identical in HOW they achieved their goal (in fact they couldn't be more different). I was saying they both hit the exact same target, and one that is very relevant right now. :deal

-SM
  8. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I agree Sock.
    Both good middle weight bikes.
    I am so sick of bigger bigger bigger.

Suzuki could also put their GS500 (twin) motor in a DR package for fun middle weight results (of course they have the DL, but a v-twin takes a lot of space).
    Air/oil cooled.

The pounds add up quickly. Fairings, rack, guards etc to me make a reasonably light bike heavy quick. Put long suspension on and the weight is high.

The Rio looks a good balance.

The old Guzzi is sweet.
  9. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:
    ~

Hey, I agree with both of ya'! :D

I'd love for the manufacturers to build some smaller, lighter, more maneuverable twin-cylinder dual-purpose bikes. Hell, I'd love it if Honda brought back the SL-350... :lol3

Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever see anything like that here in the USA. As much as there are a small group of people here that say they'd buy something like that past history doesn't show the USA market supporting enough sales. I used to be a Honda dealer, and I watched as the wonderful Honda 650 Transalp was completely ignored but American riders. That was back in 1989 and the early 1990's. Though dropped from the US market the same basic model is still being sold in markets all over the world. The Kawasaki Versys I have now is better in some ways than those fantastic old Transalps, but worse in many others.

It's a grand idea, but I seriously doubt you'll see such bikes in the US market anytime soon. Here, unfortunately, the vast majority of the American motorcycle buying public is mired in the "Bigger is Better" mentality.

Hell, I've been riding long enough to remember when a 650 Triumph twin was considered a *BIG* bike! :rofl

And 650 Triumph twins made great dual-purpose mounts...

Dallara

~
  10. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    Following Scott on the BCBTR6.
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XjFLvkxcxx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. MadScotsman

MadScotsman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is that section the Eakin Cr Rd? Scott, your bike looks better even dirty and mud covered! I know I couldn't keep up with you!
  12. repsolrider

repsolrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe it is. I super enjoyed all my time riding and hanging out with the Alberta Boys.

Super cool old Guzi I would rock that for sure. Untill it broke and I couldn't get parts.:rofl
  13. M-Cat

M-Cat 2 wheeled slacker

Oddometer:
    Nice work on a very cool bike!!!
  14. repsolrider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks M-CAT This is just before or after I fell over.:lol3
  15. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    no tears, so i bet it was before.
  16. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, I don't know what you do for a living but, I think you could start up a business making these.
    I'm sure the majority of the time you spent making your own was wondering where to put what and trial and error but, the next time round should be a piece of cake.
    I'm sure you got a ton of requests to build one for die hards and I'm sure the cost of building one would exceed the current price of a used KTM 950 but if people are willing to pay the $10K you would need to build one, why not do it?

This project has been talked about for years here and on other furums and you were the one who stepped up and got the hacksaw out.
  17. cgwt

cgwt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Blame the right knee!! :lol3

Nice shot.:clap
  18. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    too bad there is no build tread with detail pictures and good info , it will be fun to see more of these bike on the road.:D
  19. repsolrider

Oddometer:
    This is what you get for free.:rofl
  20. KLRnit

KLRnit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One word: LIABILITY... If he built a production run and one person
    Broke a motor mount or frame rail he could be sued.

Once again 'Sol great job man. I finally got all my parts sold and $2000+ in paypal ready to buy more parts for my build.