Just Bought a New 2011 990 Adventure R in FL. Flying in & riding it home to OH

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by cdub599, Apr 13, 2012.

1. cdub599

cdub599 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am new to advrider.com, but not new to riding. A couple close friends recently purchased KTM 950/990's. A few rides and some peer pressure and I am now the proud owner of a New 2011 990 Adventure R.

I found this sweet deal on it in Florida and thought it would be an Adventure to get it home. This will be my first long distance road trip. I spend a long couple days every year in the dirt riding but I expect this will be completely different. I have been spending the last couple days gathering up everything I think I will need for this trip but any advice would be welcomed.

First oil change is already scheduled at a KTM dealer in WV just over 600 Miles from my starting point. I saw their service manager had posted in another thread so I called them and set it up.

Will do my best documenting the trip. I spend lots of time on the road for work and am always getting yelled at for not taking pics of all the places I get to see. Since this will be a mini vacation hopefully I will do better.
  2. The Gobbler

The Gobbler Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome and congrats
  3. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:
    That's a great idea. I live not far from you. Subscribed.
  4. RogerDe

RogerDe Dust In The Wind

Oddometer:
    Congrat's & welcome to the KTM World...enjoy the sweet ride...Ride On..
  5. Kenbike

Kenbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should be a great ride! You may want to take a sheep skin seat pad to help with the stock seat. Are you doing the super slab or two lane back roads?
  6. Holeshotking

Holeshotking 31F

Oddometer:
    Oh how I love being a "pusher"!! LOL!! And I am jealouse of the ride Carey is about to embark on, wish I could do it with him! To the fellas that say the stock seat is no good, we ride enduros that can be up to 4.5hrs in length and are very used to taking a pounding, so these seats are like a couch, plus you can stand. :D I am also new to the forum and will have to say that the info I have read here about these bikes is priceless!! Both of us have owned just about every brand/type of bike out there over the years and where we are at in our lives right now, these big katooms just downright rock!!! I forsee a very fun summer:1drink I can garauntee you will see photos/videos of these monsters on trailrides ,jumping on mx tracks and backing it in to turn 1 with the hotshoe on!:huh
  7. Narsisco Lopez

Narsisco Lopez Addlepated

Oddometer:
    Seems like a trend is starting with buying new remotely and doing the first service while on the road home... cool!

Have a blast... you're gonna LOVE this bike, too! :freaky
  8. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    The web makes it easier to find the best deal. Even after factoring the plane ticket and expenses back? That must be a great buy.
  9. cdub599

cdub599 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Planning to take two lane roads at least for the first part of the trip and wherever it makes sense. I want to do my best to break it in properly.

I was a little concerned about the stock seat based on feedback I have read on this site, but like Jud mentioned. We spend a lot of time on dirt bike seats and the seats on these seen like a couch in comparison. I will be prepared to pick one of those Coleman seat cushions that seem to be readily available everywhere if needed.

Yea compared to what I am seeing these machines priced at I got a great buy. With all expenses factored in I am still thousands less than what I have been able to find one for locally. Add to that I am looking forward to the couple days away from the office and slight detachment from the magnificent smartphone.
  10. ThomasVolomitz

Oddometer:
    On a December trip to Florida and back on my Tiger, my ass was saved by an Airhawk Seat Pad. Might check those out.
  11. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Congrats Cdub! I hope you find your big Katoom as enjoyable as I do mine!
  12. cdub599

cdub599 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is what I have been hitting the road with this spring. I look forward to being able to put the hard core dirt knobs back on and keeping it mostly in the dirt.

[​IMG]
  13. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    After years of riding the doily covered piece of mahogany that is the KTM dirt bike seats, the stock 990 feels like a lazy boy. If you're an enduro rider, you'll be fine.

Have fun!
  14. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the OC :D... Hollar if you need a couch to crash on in TN.

Be safe and watch for those cagers :deal
  15. rnoliver

rnoliver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2010 Adventure R in California and rode it back to Colorado a few weeks ago. Little over 1500 miles. The seat is a little hard, but easy to move around on. That, standing, and occasionally hanging my heels on the passenger pegs kept it from being too bad. It is a great little bike, you're going to love it.

Best of luck, and post up pics! Here I am riding home-

[​IMG]
  16. japslap

japslap Japslap

Oddometer:
    Damn Moliver you must be a Giant,you make that R look like a little monkey bike.......lol
  17. Holeshotking

Holeshotking 31F

Oddometer:
    HAAHA! I was just thinking the same, that is one big boy!!
  18. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where in FL are you picking up the bike and when? I am located in Orlando, but at the present am overseas on business. I will see if I can help with a route choice depending on where you are picking it up from.
  19. rnoliver

rnoliver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also- hadn't done anything to set the suspension in that photo- still stock pre-load settings or lighter- so the bike is pretty compressed.

As to size- 6'7" about 350# Really need to work on that last number! :eek1

Oh, and it's r n oliver- stupid font:rofl
  20. cdub599

cdub599 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picking up the bike in Jacksonville FL Thursday afternoon. I plan to get to somewhere in the Augusta GA, Orangeburg SC area the first night. I heard the was a decent 2 lane route from Jacksonville to Augusta.

Not sure yet after that. I am pretty good a winging it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2