Nascar 2013

Discussion in 'Sports' started by vettex2, Feb 16, 2013.

1. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    Well the first race is in the books.........not impressed with the Gen 6 on the restrictor plate
  2. shrineclown

shrineclown Board Butcher, Fastener Haberdasher

Oddometer:

:huh They had to drive their butts off when they were near one another. For the folks who like crashing over racing, Sunday will be a treat. The finish was great. Biff was going to steam right by and he came from the apron for the block without wrecking. Other than one mistake, letting Kesolowski commentate, I enjoyed it. He needs a little more spit and polish before he is ready for that gig. Looking forward to the Dual's.
  3. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    Well it's better than the COT
    Well see what happens in the 500
  4. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    Danica wins the Pole for the Daytona 500 :1drink
  5. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    They could not have asked for a bigger "buzz worthy" start to speedweeks than that. Now, if she can keep the car raceable after Thursday, it will be a major news point. I liked Barbie's quip, "well I can say I was the fastest guy today." Go Daddy.
  6. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    :huhLarson Punts the guy for the win yesterday
    a Busch league move:lol3
  7. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    MODIFIEDS a on NOW :clap
  8. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    well those two races were bump and run....now on to the DUEL :D
  9. sloMark

sloMark Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sheesh! The whole front end is thru the fence! Hope no one got hurt....
  10. yeroc40

yeroc40 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The end of that race was an absolute shit show. Embarrassing.
  11. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Still no word on the injuries. Workers initially said it was 6 folks. With all that hot fluid flying through the air, at a minimum, there is no way there were not injuries. One report was a tire and wheel hit someone. Would have been much worse tomorrow when all those seats are full.

In the footage there is a guy standing with his back to the track, just before the front end disintegrates, hard to believe he did not suffer some type of injury.
  12. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Pastrana...showed some mettle and some power. Needs to learn to work with his drafting partner. He would get hooked up and then change lines.:huh I am sure his next plate race will be much better result. He hung in there well while getting punted around. I was impressed, he may actually do this for real.
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I heard there was a little crash...:huh

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OPwK6QCveqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    Wow, that was a spectacular crash. I suspect there were some spectator injuries there.
  15. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Last report 15 injured, from minor burns to more serious injuries requiring surgery.
  16. yeroc40

yeroc40 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What annoys me are all the headlines about how shocked everyone is. It's another Daytona wreck fest. Really, yellow-Green-White-Checker and people are shocked that there was another smoking pile. :dunno
  17. Garp

Garp Long timer

Oddometer:
    28 injured including kids, 2 Critical. For what?

Nascar likes to keep everyone packed in close so that they get the big wrecks, which sadly are the only thing worthy of any "highlight" reel when it comes to Nascar. They got what they wanted. Of course now they are scrambling to do damage control and pull all the nasty videos of people getting mamed off YouTube. Bad for their carefully crafted image apparently.

All for a "sport" that is as real as WWE.

Sad, just fucking sad.
  18. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    An engine, a wheel and other body parts when through -- not over, through -- the fence and hit around 30 spectators. That's not only unusual, it's going to change the way they protect spectators at Daytona, maybe other ovals too. Things aren't supposed to go through the fence.
  19. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I found it interesting in two of the Nascar commentator clips I saw, their was absolutely no, as in none, journalistic independence. Just being shills for the corporation. They made ESPN look like the height of integrity.

edit: What is that? It was on ESPN?

nevermind.
  20. shrineclown

Oddometer:
    Uh, in all fairness, there is not a major racing organization that has not had fans maimed and/or killed. It is a lot less frequent these days after learning some things over the years, but it is hard to determine every possible pitfall. They will study this and make changes yet again. I have been at tractor pulls, drag races, MX, snowmobile, horse races etc. where fans got hurt when things came unglued. Whenever high speed is involved, there is danger .

I have to agree, the fact that the dark curtain was up for about four hours was..... contemptible. After waiting a half hour for news from NASCAR with the boys trying to make PC stuff up with a morticians face on, dulltone shows up at the ESPN booth and says, nothing. It will come out.

I have to say, since they went to the welded fencing, this type of incident has been almost non-existent. Although, I cannot recall a perpendicular hit to the fence like that. Geoff was the last to shred a rig like that at Daytona, and I was surprised he walked from that mess. It seems obvious the car must have nosed in between the cables, which tore it apart. All the other wrecks I can remember like this, more of the car came in contact with the fencing, parallel, allowing the cables to absorb the energy.

Read the back of your ticket, if you still can:D, you might want to watch on TV instead of being there.