Go with the tiger or the gs?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by bbashy, May 22, 2011.

1. bbashy

bbashy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    First of all wanted to say hello--I'm brand new to the adventure touring world. Looking forward to hitting the mountain roads in comfort.
    That being said, I'm trying to decide between a tiger and a gs. Either would be purchased used, the tiger obviously being much cheaper. I've heard some interesting things about Triumph's reliability. Any thoughts? And the tiger I'm looking at is an 07 with just over 7000 miles. He has a good number of extras installed but is asking 7900 for it. I havent seen it in person yet but from what he says it's like new. The gs's I'm looking at are 12000 and up. I'm from the Denver area and it looks like all the bikes posted are super inflated, like listing 09 GS's for more than msrp when they only have crash bars and cases installed.
    I'm very down for not spending a few thousand extra and getting the tiger, but I want to know that owners of it aren't breaking the bank keeping the thing running.
    And here's the listing: http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2394998348.html
    What would you pay for it?
    Thanks guys--I'll see you on the trails
    Bash
  2. Deano955

Deano955 Insatiable

Oddometer:
    Apples and Oranges my friend.

I owned an 07 Tiger 1050 from new till last October when I traded it in on a KTM 990 Adventure. 15k miles without a single problem. That's not true. I did have to replace my rad cap. I think it was $13. Would've been warrantied but my 2 yr warranty was up by about a week. It is a fantastic motorcycle. That said, it's not an off pavement bike. It's a sport touring bike with Adventure bike ergos. The 1050 Tiger is way faster, better handling, and less expensive than a GS and my KTM for that matter. I sold that high maintenance Katoom after about 6 months. Don't miss it a bit. I miss my 1050 Tiger.

A GS is a better bike if you want to get off the pavement but that's it.

I've owned 3 Triumph triples and am at this point really sick of waiting for my next one to come in. I've got a Tiger XC that might be delivered some time this century. Or might not...

As a Triumph fan and one that's logged a thousand miles on a GS 12, I'd say you have to consider the type of riding you want to do. The Tiger is a great bike, the GS is a great bike. Those are their only similarities.

Cheers
  3. bbashy

bbashy n00b

Oddometer:
    quite a glowing review. Good to know about the offroading. I'll definitely give the bike a look.
    Thanks a lot--
    Bash
  4. Bob Tosi

Bob Tosi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got to disagree with you there. I ride a '98 Tiger aka "Steamer" and I go pretty good with the Beemers, no problems. I've had mine in some deep doo doo and the bike has pulled me through it rock solid. You definately have to learn to ride a big bike in the dirt. Its a totally different deal. But the Tiger is way dirt capable!!!

If I were you, I would search for a pre-'99 Tiger, the carburated ones. Go to TigerTripple.com to learn then Find a Steamer and go for it.

I got mine with a little over 32k and only for $2700. Good luck.:freaky
  5. Socrates

Socrates Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say being concerned about the reliability of modern Triumphs is a non-issue. I have about 15k on my 07 Tiger 1050. I bought it new and have had pretty much zero problems so far.

I really want to like the GS. I have done about three demo rides on the GS, so my experience with it is limited. I just didn't fall in love with the boxer engine the way I fell in love with the triple. There's something about opening up the throttle and hearing the triple roar that makes my heart sing. I didn't get that feeling on the GS.

Undoubtedly they are both great bikes as someone stated above. 99% of my riding is on paved roads, and I've only taken the Tiger on gravel or fire roads on a few occasions. How often do you ride on non-paved roads? In those situations I imagine the GS would do better.
  6. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    All of these guys are right in what they're saying, but Bob is talking about a different bike. There have been three versions of the big Tiger and they have become progressively more road oriented.

The first one (aka Steamer) was built from 1993 to 1998. It is 885cc if I remember correctly, and is a decent big dual sport bike, capable of handling some rough going. Steamers have a few common mechanical issues, some of which can be expensive to have repaired. I do love the looks of this bike though.

The second (aka Girlie), 1999 to 2006 and 955cc is heavier and more powerful, but still capable of some off pavement with a good rider. A very solid bike with no particular mechanical issues.

The third (aka Roadie), 2007 to present and 1050cc is slightly lighter than the Girlie and faster. It may look like a big dual sport, but it is truly more of a sport tourer in disguise and is not a bike I would choose to do a lot of off pavement work. It is however, an excellent and very reliable motorcycle with no particular mechanical issues.

I've owned a GS, and a Ulysses. I still own a Tiger 1050 and also a new Tiger 800. Deano is right. The only place a GS is better than a 1050 Tiger is off pavement. Of course that's just my opinion and I'm sure there are others who will disagree.
  7. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you want a bit more off pavement capability - why don't you look at a late model "Girlie". They will also accomodate TKCs - I think tires are the most significant limitation on the Roadies. (excluding rider of course) I got an 06' with only 3K mi last year, for under $6 K. The 1200GS is a good machine - but a 955 Tiger can keep up just fine, at half the price. AND - with an xtra cylinder.
  8. JustPlainDave

JustPlainDave ...just a monkey with features

Oddometer:
    I recently tested an 800XC and really liked it. That inline triple is muy bueno!The lower seating position is a bit of a turn off for me.
    I may consider an 800GS as well (pending test ride). However, the dealer is now worried about selling his 800GS' because they and lots of folks like the 800XC better.
    As far as reliability goes, he says Triumph is considered the Euro Honda. They seem to source a lot of parts from Honda owned subsidiaries (i.e. Showa) or companies who Honda sources parts from as well.
    You probably can't go wrong either way.
  9. pentonfan

pentonfan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got about 800 miles on my Tiger 800 XC and love it. Cruises the Blue Ridge Parkway with ease- no problem staying up with my buddies Multistrada 1200. As far as waiting for one- I've seen them on the floor ready to buy in the last 2 weeks in Daytona, FL Charlotte, NC, Asheville, NC and Austin, TX so they are out there. I work in the motorcycle industry and travel alot so I see dealers all over the country. Had a Triumph Street Triple and it was stone axe reliable- 11,779 miles without a lick of trouble! Would not hesitate to buy a Triumph for a minute!!
  10. JimR

JimR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I thought you meant the F650GS, but while I'm here.......The 2005-2007 MY F650GS's can; carry a crap load of camping gear and go 80 mph all day long with plenty of extra for passing, exit the super slab and travel the worst dirt, gravel, chewed up pavement, and fire roads you can find. Strip the luggage and ride "The Dragon" over in Deel's Gap or any other twisted road you can find. Put the luggage back on and commute to work. The machine has a 4.5 gallon fuel tank with a range of about 250 miles. My last tank I averaged 64mpg, and that's going 80mph on my way to work. If I do my part and keep my hand out of the throttle it will get 70mpg. The computer will cut the engine out at 105mph. It is a good all around machine, but not what you are looking for. Good luck on your selection. Regards, Jim.
  11. D-Fuzz

D-Fuzz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Supposed reliability issues with Triumphs seem to come from people who have never owned one and think the Hinckleys are the same as the old Triumphs from the 60's and 70's. I have owned my Tiger for about a year now and it has been great. It helps to do some reading on the Tiger forum and see what issues arise with the different generation bikes (Steamers/Girlies/Roadies). Most are minor and have very straightforward remedies.