What is the best adhesive for reattaching my rear view mirror to my windshield?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Waco, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Loctite stuff and it keeps falling off, regardless of how carefully I follow the directions.
  2. Hammerspur

Hammerspur Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could offer advice, but have tried several times on different vehicles over the years with same results as you've gotten.... nothing worked more than temporarily. :bluduh
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    using their rearview mirror adhesive? And it's failing? That means you have a poorly prepped surface on one or both sides. Take it to a glass shop, I bet they will do it for cheap.
  4. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never had a problem with that stuff when you just use it as directed.
  5. cagiva549

cagiva549 Gone timer

Oddometer:
    When you find something that works let me know , I been trying for years without luck . SEYA
  6. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    I've always just went to a parts house and got what ever brand glue they have for that and used it. let the little mettle tab sit there for a few days before i hang the mirror on it never had a problem with it.
  7. bisbonian

bisbonian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Isn't Texas in the middle of a heat wave?

That stuff doesn't work that well with temps like the surface of the sun, hell high temps are usually when you find the mirror laying in your front seat.

Are you getting it all from the same place? Maybe it's old.
  8. FatDog

FatDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forget it. Just buy another car. Seriously, I've tried everything and none of them worked once the got super hot.
  9. speedracertdi

speedracertdi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try taping the area on the glass and scuffing it up a little. Easily said than done I know with tempered glass, but the scratches will give the glue a tooth to hold on to.
  10. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loctite has always worked for me. I'd clean the areas with a razor blade first, then use an alcohol wipe, applied the brush stuff, let dry and then the drops from the tube. Even at the dealership I used to work at used the Loctite stuff.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Oh snap, a car...I was baffled for awhile..motorcycle website and all. :lol3

Kid, you're not trying to glue the whole mirror on are you? You're taking the mounting puck out and gluing that on, then snapping the mirror in later, right?
  12. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haven't used any to reattach rear view mirror, but 3M adhesives usually do work for me.
  13. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Maybe swing by your local auto body shop and ask them to stick it on. There are some amazing glues for putting window latches and stuff on that are incredibly strong.
  14. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    I recently bought the Go Pro grab bag of camera mounts. They have the 3M VHB adhesive thats like F'n stupid glue. I had to pry it off with a screwdriver. Luckily it didn't take the paint off with it...
  15. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Go to the local Ford dealer and get one of their one-use kits.
  16. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    Are you taping it to the glass? You should as it really helps.

I've had good luck with most any of the 2 part kits. --EXCEPT-- one time when the shop I was working at took in this 40's or 50's Buick roadmaster or something. Anyway, one of the things the owner wanted done was the original mirror replaced with a modern windshield mount. Now I don't know why the hell the glue didn't work, but it didn't. The car came in 3 or 4 times after the mirror had fallen off. I don't know if the glass expanded more than regular glass, or it was the shape or what the hell it was, but that mirror would not stay on. What eventually worked was some 3M clear silicone adhesive that worked for both glass and metal, left it taped on for a week (just to make sure!) and it wound up holding it just fine forever after.
  17. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like regular old clear silicone bath sealer, just like you would use on an aquarium.

I take the little puck out of the mirror, clean it and the glass, including scrape with blade and alcohol, then let dry.

Then I put on a dab of the silicone sealer, press hard and wait 2 or 3 days before I remount the mirror. If any excess I scrape it off with a blade. Never fell off again. And I tend to own cars for years.

Rod
  18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
  19. P B G

P B G Long timer

Oddometer:
    Idea for you.

3M interloc.

The stuff used to hold the tollway transponders, get a 2"x2" square of for both sides, stick them to the mirror, stick them to the glass.

Use a heat gun to warm the adhesive and ScHtUcK.

Even then, the adhesive kits do the job.
  20. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    +1