The Alaska State Ferry Info Thread

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AKDuc, Jan 30, 2008.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    This thread is updated regularly and has good info from many who've ridden our State Ferries over the years. For starters, here's a link to the Alaska Marine Highway System's website: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

Because of staffing issues in 2024, there are fewer sailings being offered but more may added thru the summer. Unless you really REALLY feel the need for more days of rest, I strongly recommend going thru Prince Rupert BC (if it's listed as a port of call and so far in 2024 it isn't) instead of sailing to or from Bellingham when doing the Inside Passage to or from Haines or Skagway. The roads in and out of Prince Rupert, Haines, and Skagway are awesome. :thumb Because of staffing issues, so far this year (2024) only be one sailing a week up the Inside Passage to ports in Southeast AK is scheduled out of Bellingham, WA.

A few more tips, IMO when you're on a motorcycle you usually don't HAVE to have reservations unless you're sailing Cross Gulf or going in or out of Bellingham. You can almost always get yourself and a motorcycle onboard the other ferries.

And unless you're on your Honeymoon or really feel a need for privacy, don't rent a berth or pitch a tent. Instead, you'll see a lot more and probably have more fun if you just throw your pad and sleeping bag on one of the fully reclining lounge chairs or on the floor up in the covered and heated Solarium. More socializing with other friendly passengers and you'll always be alerted to any wildlife sightings as well as a much greater panoramic view! I discourage tenting because you have to tape it down so it doesn't get blown away and it can be extremely noisy because of the constant wind.

If you can't or don't want to go through Canada, there's 1 sailing each month across the Gulf going between Bellingham, WA and Whittier, AK. It's a very long and VERY expensive boat ride. The 2024 schedule shows the last ferry out of Bellingham leaves April 27 on the MV Columbia. In the past there was another ferry that also did the run, the MV Kennicott, my least favorite ferry. It was built after the big Exxon Valdez oil spill and was designed primarily as an oil spill response command vessel as opposed to being more passenger friendly. Sad, but as a consolation some say it has the nicest artwork onboard.

As mentioned elsewhere, you can find a lot of good info about coming up here in the 'Alaska' forum. Lots of friendly folks too. :D And of course, a few wise guys. :brow You're also welcome to pm me if you feel the need or just ask here if you think someone else may benefit from your question which will also help to keep this post from just falling off into the deep.

I'll also use this to remind and encourage everyone to join us in the annual D2D (Dust 2 Dawson City Yukon) gathering that happens around Solstice. Over 200 riders from all around the world. Fun! And remember, it's always on a Thursday and Friday.

And one more thing, I know many riders have the end of the road up in Prudhoe Bay as their primary/only destination and many of us locals think that's unfortunate. Many of us believe the scenery of Southeast and Southcentral AK is much more spectacular and impressive. Plus you'll have more opportunities to experience our "Last Frontier" hospitality. :D

Now come on up and pay us a visit. Good luck and have fun, Mark H.

Jeez, just how many "land yachts" can we get into this tub?!? :lol2
    [​IMG]

Ahh, what a fun way to travel.
    [​IMG]

And the sights you see....
    [​IMG]

The Inside Passage can offer very protected waters.

Sunset in Southeast off the stern of the MV Columbia. That's the ocean, folks.
    [​IMG]
    CardiffKook likes this.
  2. Pastieman

Pastieman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second sleeping on a deck chair of floor of the solarium. I spent some time in Juneau and took the ferry from Prince Rupert to get there, then all the way to Bellingham on the way back.

I honestly don't think you miss much between PR and Belling Ham. And the drivce to PR is great, good roads, and no crazy passes.

OH yea, the solarium. Spend as much time as you could out there. You'll me some interesting people, and some REALLY intersting people:uhoh. most likely you'll see tons of wildlife. From whales to Flamingos.

Brian
  3. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    If you're interested in a bit more about Southeast AK, I invite you to take a look at my ride report from last summer: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258739

I'm related to most folks on Annette Island (the only Indian Reservation in AK) and try to get down there every couple years but it's a lengthy journey. 800mi from Anchorage to Haines, a day and a half on one ferry to Ketchikan, and then another ferry over to the town of Metlakatla on Annette. Wonderful trip tho.

Be forewarned about the ride report tho, it's 2 pages long with about 80 photos per page. :D

Happy trails, Mark H.
  4. usatic

usatic Afreakin' Twin

Oddometer:
    Further to what AKDuc posted. link
  5. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Maybe you'll even get to ride on one of our new fangled twin hulled fast ferries. :evil

They cruise around 40mph! And they're super smooth. :brow

[​IMG]
  6. HYLYNDYR

HYLYNDYR naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer:
    So how do you tell from the schedule which boat is the fast cat ?? Is there a fast cat schedule somewhere ?
  7. Spicy McHaggis

Spicy McHaggis Darth Peach's cracker...

Oddometer:
    The cats are the M/V Chenega and the M/V Fairweather.

Unfortunately, because the idiots that run the Marine Highway are...well...idiots... the only summertime fast ferry service in Juneau now is to either Sitka or Petersburg...WTF??? Stupid fockers.
  8. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Yep, lots of nice art work including the wood floor inlay found on the fast ferries. :D

[​IMG]
  9. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Good info, Jeff. :thumbup

Do you know if the ferry workers move motorcycles around on the car deck on occasion? They moved and dropped my brothers BMW R100RS one trip years ago. Scuffs and scrapes but nothing broken.

Maybe see you this summer (2012) as I'm coming back down for the 125yr Founder's Day Celebration of Metlakatla.

See ya, Mark H.
  11. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    Since this thread is about the ferry system and there a chance some may be traveling thru the Prince Rupert BC area, I thought I'd recommend a historical novel about the area. It's called 'Challenge the Wilderness' by George Tomlinson and it's about one of the first white families to live in the north BC area back in the 1800's. It's out of print but can be found used. I really like the book a lot: http://vnesdoly.blogspot.com/2005/10/book-review-challenge-wilderness.html

Looking forward to seeing some of you up here. Have fun, Mark H.
  12. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Spicy McHaggis

Oddometer:
    Trust me...he's right on this one.

I'm "the authorities". :D
  14. curty

curty Sum'a bitch

Oddometer:
    Do we need to bring our own tie-downs? I really don't want to lug tie-downs all the way from Atlanta to Prince rupert.
  15. Spicy McHaggis

Oddometer:
    Yes you do.
  16. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    You could carry a couple 8' lengths of 7mm low stretch static nylon climbing cord and do a trucker's hitch.

Yeah Jeff, the bike was moved and dropped while we were in some port. I was out walking around.

Mark H.
  17. curty

curty Sum'a bitch

Oddometer:
    Thanks I figure I could buy a couple of cheap hardware store ones and give them to somebody in Haines, when we disembark. Look forward to see the great white north for the first time. I will be with a group of six doing Atlanta-Prudhoe Bay-Keywest In June. :clap
  18. AKDuc

Oddometer:
    How about another photo to whet your whistle? :wink:

A small boat harbor in Letnikof Cove just a few miles south of Haines on Mud Bay Rd. Those lovely mountains are also in the background of a few movies. :brow

[​IMG]
  19. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    I plan to take the ferry from Haines to Bellingham the week of July 7. I will be camping on deck. Should I get a reservation or is a bike a sure thing?
  20. AKjeff

AKjeff Long timer

Oddometer: