Hacking North by NorthEast...

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Abenteuerfahrer, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Abenteuerfahrer

Abenteuerfahrer Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer:
    Hey there Koi.... oh, so Bessie is a bull--then who's the cow?? What do I know...after all, I'm a city girl (born & bred in Brooklyn, NY) and saw a first live cow when I was 22 years old. Guess I still don't know names but I think I can tell a bull from a cow. :dunno :doh :lol3

You're right about the French....love the food presentation and they also taste wonderful. You can never go wrong with the French and oh, the sauce!! We will have to find a way to shed those lbs we slurped on the past few days.

Saw an old house up for sale next to our B&B...for 800k and it needs to be fixed up!! :eek1 :eek1 Anybody have 800k to give away? :lol3 We will miss the place!
  2. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    Well Sharon, there is a possibility Bessie is a steer but since we can't determine that from the picture (which would also confirm the cow/bull status) we can safely call her/him a four legged herbivore which can be converted to Le Boeuf Bourguignon. That way we're all safe...and with full bellies...:D
  3. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    I saw you passing through grand falls-windsor on the highway, if your not back through yet, please feel free to contact me for a coffee etc..

enjoy the rest of your trip!
  4. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yo kojack...thanks for the invite, you people on this Rock rock:clap

However, I we're currently in St. John's, some R&R till Tuesday then we'll head home shipbound from Argentia to Nova Scotia....will miss you.:cry
    Have a good summer and ride far, ride safe.
  5. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    First a few more incredible lunch dishes before we left St. Pierre. Then NO more foodie ads:eek1 .

Our fare well lunch ....Escargott a la St.Pierre

[​IMG]

Local Cheeses....Goat and Brie...

[​IMG]

The sister of the Bed & Breakfast proprietor bid us Bon Voyage to the mainland.

[​IMG]

The sail was quite rough and rolly, a few school kids heaved otherwise the trip was uneventful and fast back to Fortune.

We decided to call it a night in Marystown as the city of St. John's would be another 3.5 hours after having arrived from Fortune at 1700 hrs.

MARYSTOWN....

You might be wondering how we keep warm as well as how we house the bike and rig.

[​IMG]

Her cockpit is covered when unattended. The cockpit cover top can be unrolled to expose a rain/cold weather poncho. When riding solo the windshield can be lowered flush with the sidecar and covered with the cockpit cover thus lowering fuel consumption when riding.

[​IMG]

Semi cool day ride setup..

[​IMG]

Cold and rainy day setup

[​IMG]

Gerbings heated apparel connectionbuild in the sidecar....warm and toasty for the Missus..

[​IMG]

Same setup for the MasterChief...

[​IMG]

Extra fuel containment...20l Jerry Can..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another 2 gallons attached to the passenger pegs..

Total fuel available= Motorcycle> 5.2gal....Jerry can> 2.5gal...Passenger peg> 2 gal..= 9.7gal.. enough for (+-) 250 miles at 70 mpgh...

On the way out of Marystown we spied a Oil rig being serviced in this cove.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shades of BP????

[​IMG]

The route from Fortune..Marystown to..TransCanada #1 is so desolate and intiminating...stark,,,cold...isolated..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the Juction of 210 and Can#1 we met the same French couple that was on St. Pierre. The couple in their late 70's were so enamored in our way of travel that they had to chat with us again. Them in a Mercedes-Benz diesel powered small RV traveling around NFLD. Nice oldie pair...very adventurous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way toward St. John's we got blasted with a moving cold foggy front that was funneling itself through the Fijord there. Very cold and blasting winds hit us crosswise...

[​IMG]

Finally made it int St. John's and we knew we were there when we spied...

[​IMG]

It's a horse...that barks..

[​IMG]
  6. kojack

kojack Grenfell Country Farmhouse suite!

Oddometer:
    No problem, next time look me up....I saw your setup crusin down the highway and thought that was the coolest shit ever! ha ha. Have a safe journey, and tell all your bike friends about this great place!:freaky
  7. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Got into town...booked a Motel...and went in search for Bar food..

This is the harbor entrance of St. John's, one of the most protected harbor entrance bar none. Europe is that away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Entrance/exit of harbour. Notice Signal Hill atop the cliff.....will sclae it tomorrwo weather permitting..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monument honoring St. John's war dead..

[​IMG]

Honoring our arrival...:clap :lol3

[​IMG]

Street Art...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harley Davidson riders patronizing coffee shops:huh :eek1 :lol3

[​IMG]

Hey, HD's...bars are that away..<<<<

[​IMG]

The town has about over 100 bars and we counted about 38 bars during our foot trip on Water street and Georges St....too many to list. All serve excellent drinks and food..make your pick and here are a few to many:freaky

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We chose this one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Guiness being born...

[​IMG]

One must wait for it to come to life..

[​IMG]

There she is ready to be enjoyed...

[​IMG]

Sharon already made friends after downing a GUINESS...:1drink

[​IMG]

A Richards for me and a GUINESS for the fair lady who put up with me all over Newfoundland....Cheers:freaky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today is Fathers Day::norton I salute to the Fathers of the World and most of all cheers to my son in law who will become a father in November:rofl

[​IMG]

" Oh, Irish Eyes..how green they are..Oh, Auld Lang Syne.....Buurrpp.".:1drink :freaky

[​IMG]

There was a lovely Damsel from Prince Edward Island who we befriended at Shamrock, who insisted that you're no Newfie unless you do some " Screech"...:eek1

[​IMG]

"Screech" we did and then wash it down with Irish Beers...woooooweee...

There she is..KELLY, the red haired Damsel who introduced Screech to us

[​IMG]

What's he singin....:ear

[​IMG]

Bbuurrppp....ZZzzzzz...Hick!!!!:freaky :1drink

CURE Prostates....Ride a BMW...:lol3 :lol3 :lol3

[​IMG]

Nighty Night till tomorrow
  8. koifarm

koifarm Twas ever thus!

Oddometer:
    Damn, no shortage of bars there hey?......must be the way to while away those cold winter nights!!
    Were you guys doing karioke?
    Is Screech a whiskey? The Guiness looks scrumptious....mmmmm...:D
  9. hondachopper

hondachopper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So St. Johns is the town with 150 bars? Rite? I supposed I could live there! Grin...

Great pictures of NL!! I can actually smell the place and taste the beer!!!

Soooo jealous of you guys!

Tom
  10. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Koifarm..."Screech" is a Newfoundland Rum...pretty good not too heavy or biteful, kind of smooth....better than a Shooter.

Tom... Yep, it's the place but many are scattered about Town. You can actually go directly to 38 of them, the rest are a bit of foot trotting or car rides. The foods they serve in the bars is heavy on fried stuff and everything is always garnished with FRIES...fries..and more Fries...Oh, Man I am outta Potatos:puke1 . The Beers are good, smooth and just at right temps to that you can taste them not so friggin' cold like in the US. Many are local brews...hhmmnnnnn
  11. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Rains are forecast tomorrow...RAINS, I mean R-A-I-N-S..., grrrr,,,,,,more Rain on Tuesday our departure day....Ahem....we're used to it. Planning on climbing atop Signal Hill.
  12. deafPOPEYE

deafPOPEYE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, Barhopping Champs!
    I might stop subscription to AAA and National Geography magazines. U are everything and everywhere. Fabalous! Why coming home soon?
    Smile!
  13. pennymiler

pennymiler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy guys!

Am quite sure you are SICK of rain by now but trust you must prod on neverthless. Funny I was wondering about the crib's set up in event of the rain. Looks like Sharon is absoluetly unaffected by the rains from the looks of the crib cover. Cleverly crafted!

Is the amount of rain usual up there or was it highly unusual?

As always, I have traveled with you throughout with my trusty AAA maps with great interest and envy. Virtually followed you every inch of the way.

Oh those bars in St. John's! I would have certainly "painted the town red" or is it "green" with you guys and doing a good job!

Hope to see you guys at NAD in Philly.

I hope to be acknowledged this time, have phunny guys! Maybe you have overlooked my reply the last time.

Take care!
  14. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you're turning south. Should I set a leg of lamb out to thaw yet?

Pete
  15. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yo...PennyMiler...nope you're never forgotten, just sometimes am too exhausted to even type a dot on the PC.

You absolutely must travel on #210 from Canada #1 to Fortune; just to see and feel what this environment brings to your hearty soul....you'll go through cold thermals, warm thermals...fog..rains...total steppes...!! Like being on Mars. It's all nature....ponds...lake....cold venturied fast moving fogs that come in with the tides. Hang on dear life when the cross winds try to blow you off the saddle....woooo. No Gas...no eats....just Nature they way it's always been. But sooooo lovely....

Am never sick of rain it's just a bit more inconvenient....getting in and out of gear and most isolated gas stations don't have any overhangs. High winds there can blow them away so no overhangs. Bascially we are pretty dry but I see that my BMW boot has finally sprung a leak after 20,000 miles. Got it Scotchguarded the other day. Will find out tomorrow if it works.... Raining today like dogs and cats....not too cold. Sharons out on a boat tour while I am resting my weary bod watching the FIFA world cup.....:freaky

More Fish and Chips tonight and some gallons of Richards + a Screecher:1drink
  16. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yep, we're heading south as of tomorrow via Ship, then might take the Missus around the western site of the Cabot trail if she so desires. Don't know yet which way we're heading. Moncton....Fredricton...Quebec...!
    Am trying to linger in Canada as much as possible..really love it here. Might then shoot down from Sherbrooke or St. Jean-Sur-Richelieu???? to Vermont.

I am of course ready to get my teeth into a leg of Lamb after having had my fill of seafood and be licked to death by your dogs:rofl . Will let you know of our wherebouts and whatabouts.....THANKS...
    Cheers.........
  17. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:
    Yo Popeye....

Did post to your reply...hhmmnnn...didn't come through. Coming slowly home ggrrr.....Sharon has to attend the NAD that is being held in Philly. Political and voting for a new Chief:deal as well got to rest for the TAT. Hey, wanna buy my DRZ and go with Julius while I rest up my bones after this trip???:lol3 :D :eek1
  18. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe it will be all rained out when I get there next week.

Yea, I know, wishfull thinking. Still one can only hope.

You guys going to be in Vermont for the U.S.C.A. National? Would be nice to meet up with you there.
  19. Abenteuerfahrer

Oddometer:

When I transitted the TLH in July of 2008 sans sidecar on the 1200GS I basically had pretty good GS weather with just a bit of rain showers now and then.

LOVE to come to the Vermont Sidecar rally, but got to get into Philly by the 5th for the Missus to earn my bike dollars:lol3 ...dunno I can run back to Vermont for the U.S.C.A National, ggrrrr.....:cry
  20. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Elmer wrote:
    >>LOVE to come to the Vermont Sidecar rally, but got to get into Philly by the 5th for the Missus to earn my bike dollars ...dunno I can run back to Vermont for the U.S.C.A National, ggrrrr.....<<

There are 5 hacks (so far) leaving our shop for Vermont on the morning of the 7th....come on up and join the parade :-)