New Garmin's 'x' series

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Mikas, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
  3. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm divided between the 60CSx and the 76CSx... With the expandable memory now available, i think i'm going for the 60. But i'm not sure yet... Damn. Decisions, decisions... :D
  4. Retro

Retro Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer:
    I know of a 60CS that will go on sale as soon as I can find a decent price on the 60CSx. It's a pricey little bugger at $535.00, especially since it doesn't come with mapsource.
  5. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    Can bigger cards be bought for the new series? I had a 60cs before and sold it because of the memory issue but if the card can be upgraded, I'll have one of these shortly.
  6. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They'll take microSD cards. 512MB ones run about $50. :clap
  7. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the Magellan eXplorist XL which allows the use of SD cards as well. It has a 3.5 screen and sells for $369 at "The GPS Store". Seems to do everything the Garmin does at a lower price, plus larger screen. Anyone familiar with any negatives concerning this model over an equal Garmin model?

http://www.thegpsstore.com/detail-magellan-explorist-xl.asp
  8. monkeyman

monkeyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kickass - I've been waiting for this.

Do you think they'll show up on thegpsstore.com faster if I sit up and hit reload every minute?
  9. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oooooh... Nice!!!
  10. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    Just so everyone understands, the "x" series is using a microSD card, not a normal SD card. I have a 128MB one in my cell phone. They are tiny and fit in a special SD adapter/holder so they can be inserted in a standard SD card slot. Completely compatible in every way, as long as you don't loose the tiny SD adapter :baldy.

The only rub is that I have only seen them in 128 and 512MB, but nothing bigger like the 1GB SD cards.

It's definately a step in the right direction. :thumb

[​IMG]

</snip>
  11. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some phone calls and web searches yesterday on the "X" led me to believe that for a hands-on look, Bass Pro Shops will recieve these first, their website states a price of $499. Approx. Jan.9 in store. Maybe right, maybe wrong. Charlotte store said they expected some next week. Finally, something simple, light, waterproof, reasonably priced, and expandable memory ! Seems to fit the bill for a first-timer like me.
  12. Motorace

Motorace Black and Round pays the bills.

Oddometer:
    I have seriously looking at the 60CS to replace my ancient eMap but now the 60CSx has me thinking....

The spousal unit gave the OK for the 60CS, as long as she got a new Trio cell phone! :D
  13. G-Force Junkie

G-Force Junkie Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI: http://www.tigergps.com/ listed the X series on their web site today and are accepting orders. My father preordered the i5 from them before they came out and got a fantastic price. By the time they shipped, the price had gone up, but they honored the price when the preorder was made. Needless to say, My 60CSX is on order :clap $ 418.68.
  14. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    Help me with a question here, I've been reading on Garmins site and am not 100% clear on the memory feature.

I understand how the expandable memory enhances the map base, but can the memory be used to expand saved waypoints and routes? The specs on the 76CX are the same as my 76C as far as waypoint/route memory. Can an alternate set of routes/waypoints be saved on the card, or even a different card to switch to while on a trip? Or is it strictly for map sets?
  15. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    They are at CES now. I wasn't planning on going, but I might have to. I have a GPS MAP 76S that's nearly brand new, but I'm thinking what the hell, it's only money. The card makes it worth it, imho. Anyone know if Garmin has an upgrade program like Cannon?

I'm also tempted to go for broke and get the 2730 with integrated XM. If I could get several wiring set-ups, I could make it work on all my bikes and cars, which would make it cost effective.
  16. Two Dot

Two Dot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So Cal (winter) Montana (summer) NC (spring&fall)
  17. Mikas

Mikas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 CES is the Consumer Eletronics Show.
    You can find more info here: http://www.cesweb.org/default.asp
  18. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    It's probably like other Garmins in that map data goes on the data card and waypoints & such load directly to the unit.
  19. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would hold on the Magellan, most people exchanging route are using GPX format and it's a pain to do for the magellan, you need to use multiple programs.

Also most of the riders ended up with Garmin, a lot more tracks out there for them on ADVrider and other sites like mine

I've been waiting for an expandable memory for a long time, and I think my Garmin V will be sold soon and I'd get the 60Cx I have no need for the "S" feature ie altimeter.

Christian

20. MTRREF

MTRREF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on other memory card Garmin machines, the memory cards are for map data base stuff. Waypoints and routes, which don't really require significant memory, are stored in the core memory. Of course, the new "x" series could be different!

My experience is that there are way more routes and waypoints than I would ever use. I find myself using Recently Found addresses rather than actually putting waypoints in.