640s 127,000 service and again at 212,000

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by gunnerbuck, Oct 29, 2010.

1. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here she is last week on her last ride for a while..

Well I started the tear down yesterday to see what the internals look like....

The top end and crank have nearly 90,000 km on them... The transmission/transmission bearings have the full 127,200 km on them....

It's been about 43,000 km since the last valve job... This stretch there has been very little adjustment required to the valves so I'm hoping to get away with just a seat regrind and not have to replace any parts... The head is in transit to the machine shop right now to see...

[​IMG]
    I noticed a pinhole in the exhaust midpipe near where it joins the muffler....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The piston still looks servicable with only slight rub spots on the front/back of the skirt... The rings are very worn showing a huge amount of ring end gap when measured in the cylinder... I measured the gap on my new set of rings and they are easily within spec...

[​IMG]
    The bore is still in very good condition and will only require a slight hone to help seat the new rings...

The cam shaft is in very good shape but due to a worn 99 cent pin on the decomp cam I have to replace it with a new unit... KTM does not offer any parts for the decomp so I'll try to find somebody with a shagged cam that I can steal parts from to make the old one serviceable..

The intake roller has near 43,000 km on it so I will change that...

The cam chain & sprockets are still in good shape but will be replaced in spite...

Now to the bottom end...

The clutch is in unbelievably good shape after all those miles with stock gearing.... All the plates and disks measure near or at the spec for new, none have more than 10% wear.... The basket has slight grooving that can be filed out... I have a used clutch with 1/4 the miles so I'll swap out whatever parts show the most wear...
    [​IMG]
    The conrod bearing and crank end bearings are tight... The mainshaft bearings are good to go....

[​IMG]
    But I detect some wiggle in the countershaft...
    [​IMG]
    The wiggle is in the small needle bearing on the idle end of the countershaft... These are the bearings I was worried about as they have to spin much faster than the bigger roller bearings on the other end of the shafts... I will replace the needle basket on the mainshaft as well while I have it apart...

Next step is to pull the engine and split the cases...

f
  2. 30Bones

30Bones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to start a debate by any means, but are all the miles put on by you and what oil did you use and how often did you change it?

Very impressive! :ear
  3. makazica

makazica Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh

I really wish mine's gonna look like that with 127 000 km....

:lurk

Carry on....

:D

M.
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yes, all the miles are mine, bought the bike new in Aug 04...

After I replaced the top end at around 40,000 km I decided to switch to Rotella 5/40 synthetic ... I change oil every 5000-6000 KM and alternate filters changing only one per change.... I sometimes drag out the change interval a little longer if I'm on a long trip... No debate, for me Rotella is the oil of choice..
    nk14zp likes this.
  5. wallache

wallache Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap

I love these kind of threads!

For those of you that are not metrically inclined, 127,000 km is almost 79,000 miles. Pretty amazing.
  6. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
    Wow, impressive kilometers for sure, and I'm sure they haven't been "easy" either.

Are you planning to change any other bearings or components inside the cases?

http://www.kotikone.fi/smothered/mystery.jpg

https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/d/dwislandhopper_IMG_1412-1.jpg

Gunner, I now understand what you meant by the "mystery" plate being a part of the case casting on newer LC4 models.

Good pictures, please remember to take plenty more and post them up, if you have the chance.

It will be interesting to see this project and compare it with the older 1998 LC4 that I have torn apart.

Cheers,

Tseta
  7. pingo

pingo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    /subscribed

Great thread, and great bike!
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    The cam is in perfect shape except for this little pin that engages the decomp... It's supposed to be flat on top...

[​IMG]
    Engine out cases split...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gearbox out case halves empty..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Measuring countershaft small end compared to mainshaft small end.... The countershaft is shot...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Failed countershaft needle bearing

[​IMG]
    Out comes the spare parts motor for it's transmission...
    [​IMG]

This is turning into a big project....

f
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I think that I am going to change all the bearings in the cases for new as they have a lot of miles on them.... The gear and shift support needle bearings out of my spare engine should be in good enough {I hope} to use as they have less than 20,000 km on them...
  10. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:

I've got a junk camshaft that you're welcome to. One of the lobes is trashed and the decomp lobe is gone, but the pins look to be in good shape. I have no idea how you'd get them out of the camshaft, though. Maybe just grind away the camshaft around the pins. Then drill the pins out of your camshaft.
  11. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Maybe heat the camshaft and press the pin out....
  12. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Pulled my spare engine apart and its gearbox looks to be in excellent condition:Things are looking up.
    [​IMG]

Now I am working with an outfit online to get all the case bearings at reduced prices...
  13. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Nice work Gunner, darn KTM and their needle bearings!!!
    bill
  14. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    No wear on either retaining plate, the 127,000 motor has a bit of paint scuffed and from the other motor the part looks new...
  16. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you have about 50,ooo miles on the motor(top and bottom without major repair) correct!
    (Crank is officially considered the bottom end.)
    Sorry the km throws me off.
    Anywho, that's pretty good, that's alot of hours spent grinning:D

And 79000 total miles, that's awesome, I know many who have ridden for 20years and have not racked up that many miles.

Sounds like your the same type rider as I am. Just keep on riding that same old horse if its a good one!
  17. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    you might wanna check the cylinder for beeing out of round, could easely be a bit of with that mileage.
  18. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    The machine shop will check before he hones, as I haven't the proper measure tool ... He also has a diamond hone for doing nikelsil bores, something else I am not equipped with...
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I guess if you want to be real official you could say I have 79,000 miles on the transmission and 50,000 on the rest....

I don't know if I'll have the same bike 10 yrs from now but with the way the N.American 650 Adventure bike market is stuck in a groundhog day it is a real possibility...

Almost the same type rider but you stayed with the KLR while I switched to the 640... With that being said, when and if your Epiphany comes along you'll only be able to buy a used Adventure....
  20. holycaveman

holycaveman Long timer

Oddometer:

To me they are the same bike. As in go the same places same fun factor, etc...

However we both have the same problem. What do we buy when we want a new one?

This thought worries me.