What bike should I get? Ulysses?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by theoneandonlybrooks, Mar 5, 2013.

1. baybueller

baybueller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have owned 7 bikes with belt drive. I am not easy on the throttle and have never broken a belt. I do change them at 20 to 30k but the original is always ok, just a few rock holes and such.
    I bought an 08 last year and put 10k on it. so far so good.
  2. panhead_dan

panhead_dan This aint jo daddy's Grundle.

Oddometer:

:1drink
  3. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    The GS or GSA is a good fit for big guys. I'm 6'2" and the GSA I owned was at times too fucking big for me.:wink:

It had lots of adjustability between the seat and bars. I'm riding a new Stelvio now and the ergonomics are very similar but it is an inch or so lower.

These bikes are both good, long haul rigs that can be fun in the dirt too. The Guzzi isn't loaded down with all the electronic gizmos and it's even easier to service than the BMW. For less money, the VStrom isn't a bad choice either. It's a pretty roomy platform, the motor rips but the bike feels bargain basement compaired to the first two bikes I mentioned.
  4. divrnr

divrnr ROAD WARRIOR

Oddometer:
    I just bought my 06 Uly and love it, parts are easy to find, American sport bike and the internet. It had 10K on it so I bought a spare belt and the HD dealer did all of the recalls. Then I found a factory trained tech to work on it and he has an ECMSpy... I'm getting ready to take it on a 1000 mile trip in 2 weeks to see how reliable it really is. The tech is doing a 10K service next Saturday.

I am amazed how little maintenance it requires, no carbs to adjust and balance, no valves to shim, no chain to constantly tighten and lube, no water pump and hoses to check and buy guards for... I keep thinking I should do more to it but I don't have to!!:D
  5. theoneandonlybrooks

theoneandonlybrooks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I keep waiting for someone to give me the magic answer that will make something so obvious I can't argue with it. But it seems like the Ulysses is the bike. I love the motor in my Nightster, but I want a roomier mount that puts my feet back under me. Seems obvious I need a Ulysses. So now I just need to find one and make the trade.
  6. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find a nice Uly; you'll love it. Oh yea, remember it's not just the engine in your Nightster, it's the engine in your Nightster on Steroids. :evil

The crankshaft problems mentioned in an earlier post in the thread seem to be confined to a small percentage of 2007 models and it happens at around 30k miles (DAMHIK). The 2006 models are often available at a steal. The 2008-up models have significant upgrades to the engine (larger crank pin, improved oiling system, improved fuel injection) and chassis (much tighter steering lock). Shop around, test ride one if you can. You won't go wrong.
  7. KS_Jetta

KS_Jetta n00b

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a road trip to pick up my 2006 Uly. It has all the factory luggage, an aftermarket exhaust and skid plate, and numerous other farkles. I re-started riding 4 years ago on a WeeStrom which was an incredible bike. Dead reliable, thousands of accessories available, decent fuel mileage. I sold it and bought a Heritage Softail which I love. It fits me well, I can do 800 mile days with no ill effects, and it gets almost 50 mpg on my 88 mile commute. It does not, however, have much ground clearance. I found myself researching upgrading the Heritage. Trophy? Multistrada? Explorer? Road Glide Ultra? For less money, I could buy a well put together Uly and keep the Heritage. I think I'll be quite happy with the 2 in my stable. Right now I'm looking out my window at snow and 35 mph wind, though, so I sit here with a new (to me) bike in the garage that I have not been able to ride since I purchased it. It's just not right!
  8. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
    As far as BMW's go, the 1150 is very low maintenance - yes, you have to adjust the valves and synch the TB's occasionally but that is a 1 hr job - I just do it every second oil change - everything is exposed and simple. Bleeding the ABS pump (if the bike has one) is a PITA the first time but it only has to be done every two years and with speedbleeders installed, that also takes about an hour. Mine hasn't been to the dealer since the 600 mile service.

I think a lot of the stories around BMW maintenance costs are related to dealer gouging and the over-complication of the newer bikes.

The Buell is the best Harley-based product ever made (and the only one I'd ever buy), but it is a quirky bike. It seems to be a love it or hate it thing. You should definitely ride one before buying. I'm waiting for the snow to melt to ride a friend's XT and see if I really do need one in the garage or whether I should get a KTM SM-T instead :wink:.
  9. theoneandonlybrooks

Oddometer:
    So I'm looking online for a Ulysses. I want to avoid an 07 because of the crank, right? But an 08 or later would be best for reliability? I read that the seat was shorter after 06, how is it on an 08?
  10. theoneandonlybrooks

Oddometer:
    I've found 2 06's, one with side bags, one with side bags and top bag, and an 08 with no bags but the side bag mounts. All 3 are between 13k and 16k miles. So from what I'm thinking, the 06's have the better seats, the 08 has all the other improvements. I would like the bags, at least the side bags. The bags they have are the factory hard cases. Price would likely be nearly identical. So what's the better buy. I don't know if I can come up with the cash for the bags with the baby on the way, but if the 08 is that much better, maybe I just strap a bag on the back for the trips. Any thoughts on which way to go?
  11. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, never owned a Buell, but, the people I know who did were very happy with them - until they grenaded. I'll concede the low maintenance, but , short lived as well. That's a small set, two out of two, and not in the US where support and parts are probably a bit better.

Pete
  12. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd go for the '08, even without the bags. Some of the '06 bikes had a few gremlins to work out and the '08 has a few nice upgrades to the engine and fuel maps. Some good reading here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810610 and on Badweatherbikers on the changes.

Prior
  13. red450

red450 Stuff

Oddometer:
    I agree, go with the 08. The TPS reset is cake w/the 08 plus like Prior said, the engine/ECM upgrades are worth it. I love my 06 but having the first gen of anything can be a gamble.

List of Model Year changes from BadWeb.
  14. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    I am on my second 06. First one did not Grenade but was totalled by an unfortunate interaction with one of our furry woodland creatures. Probably not a more comfortable seat in all of motorcycledom. If you are not one to "fiddle" with your bikes to get them running correctly than I would also suggest an 08 or newer. I am comfortable enough that I am in ECMspy all the time tweaking the maps.

Some more info to help push you ever the edge.
    [thread=842984]Buell Bliss[/thread]
  15. North_of_55

North_of_55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll admit that I haven't read the whole thread, but I wanted to comment.

I am 37, 6-1" around 250lbs. My first street bike was a '93 XR250L, then a KLR, then a WeeStrom (partnered with DR350SE) and now an '08 XB12X.

While there are days when I still long for more off-road ability I absolutely love the Buell! I have had ECM issues (cracked) that are hopefully resolved with the EBR ECM that I got for Christmas :D but really thoroughly enjoy the bike.

I've never had a bike that I didn't love in some way... but the Strom left me longing for something a) more refined b) more powerful and c) different.

The seat on XB12X is excellent! The suspension is (compared to my strom) adbsolutely amazing. It sounds nice... and when the ECM wasn't acting up the roll-on torque is very... um... fun! When it has what I call "moments of clarity" it would lift the front end in 1st and 2nd with nothing more than a well timed flick of the wrist.

There are other things too: No chain to oil or adjust, no valves to adjust, brakes are powerful. Mine came with a set of PIAA lights on the front so I can't comment too much on lighting.

What I like most about it is the uniqueness of the machine. I've never seen another Uly in my area (not a single one) and it's amazing how many people pull up beside me at lights (cars, trucks, bikes) and ask "What is that thing?"

I will admit that I won't be doing any bush bashing with it, but it eats up dirt roads and has a very nice ride on the black top.
  16. Lars1974

Lars1974 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 Uly, actually built Jan 06 - so very early!
    And apart from a snapped belt at 18k after a tyre change with probably wrong wheel install which caused the belt to be not at correct tension and than snapping, i had no issues!

Sometimes when it rains it runs only on one pot for a bit, but thats probably just water reaching a plug lead etc.

Anyway, I too love my Uly and will keep it!:clap
  17. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    30k on my uly and i think everyone's advice here is spot on. Sounds like the bike might be a good fit for you.:deal
  18. theoneandonlybrooks

Oddometer:
    So it sounds like 08 with no bags is a better deal? It does, however have mounts for side bags, anybody have a good option for hard(lockable) bags? Also, the 08 has a taller windscreen, not sure what model.
    And one other question, this may sound dumb, but here goes. Since I don't have any kids yet, I don't know what my time situation will be like once the little one is born, but I imagine there will be very little. So there's a chance my only riding for a while(couple years at least?) could be my daily commute to work, which is only about 18 miles from the farm to my job on the edge of town. Will I still enjoy the Ulysses as much on the short hauls?
    Oh, and here's the link to the specific one I'm looking at...
    http://www.roadtrackandtrail.com/ne...2013J11I50I07JPMQ2767R0&veh=54986&pov=3075547
    Any thoughts?
  19. North_of_55

North_of_55 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The one you're looking at is essentially the same as mine.

Mine came with a high windshield, PIAA 510's and a service manual. I sure wish it had come with the pannier mounts!

Every situation is unique... but I have had at least one bike (most of the time 2) since well before my kids were born. In fact I bought my wife's first bike when my son was just over a year old!

Now we have two (6 & 3) and we've both managed to find time to ride!

I don't get to travel on my bike very often, but I ride to work nearly every day. My long-time riding buddy has a similar family at home, so we go for the occasional 3 hour ride at night. Not ideal, but it works for us.

With two little ones I think we both kinda look at our bikes as a quick way to have some really good 'me-time' away from the house. Hopping on a bike to go pick up a kids prescription in town is somehow much better for the soul (and sanity) than making the same trip in the mini van!

Some days I'll leave 15 minutes early for work just to take a longer way in and score a little extra saddle time to help maintain my mental state.

The main reason I bought the Uly was so that I could cram as much fun into my short riding time as possible!

The only reason i see for getting rid of a bike because a baby was born is financial. That can of worms is best dealt with on a wife-by-wife basis!
  20. theoneandonlybrooks

Oddometer:
    Well my Nightster is plenty enjoyable on the daily commute, so I'm wondering if trading will be worth it if I only get to make the daily trip to work. I would think the Nightster might hold its resale a little better. Having bags would be nice when heading to work though, and the Nightster just wouldn't be right with bags. Probably I would be happier
    with the ulysses. It would be nice to have the money for both.