Electric is getting more modern science national geographic... and very "Wolfie"...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by oodeano, May 16, 2014.

1. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
  2. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Heavy bike though.

One thing I like about the ubco is that just cause it's a bike does it need to look like a bike, like a ic bike? The ubco strips down a whole lot of stuff that I think is where it is cause that's what you need to do to bundle all the stuff together. Like do we need a fuel tank or imitation thereof on an electric bike?

Methinks what's now and what's to come might look somewhat different.

Question - do we need two wheels? Yep, know it won't then be a bike but is a second wheel potentially nothing more than a legacy to an old technology? And if that proves true what changes will occur in the way we ride? Or where?
  3. neilaction

Oddometer:
    225 kgs isn't too bad.
    Fully fuelled. :lol3 Well, I assume. :D
  4. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 224kg, it's 40kg lighter than a Hayabusa ...

That's more than two full jerry cans of fuel ...

Has a range of almost 300km, with the battery accessory ...

Charges in 30min ...

200hp ...

One and a half times the torque of a Panigale, available from 0 to 350kph ...

Not short on selling points, this one ...

Price perhaps ... ?
  5. neilaction

Oddometer:
    Probably one and a half times the price of a Panigale R. :eek1
  6. Brute

Brute Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the 250 watt max legal limit would mean it would have to be adr`ed before Aus post could consider it .

2* brushless hub motors . They have a fixed armature in the middle & the magnets are glued around the hub ( magnets rotate ) sensor wires to the hub from an AC controller . Common mod to pushbikes on either front , rear or both wheels . At some stage 1 motor must be helping the other in some way but they seem to work ok .
  7. Dick0

Dick0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another video that came up, the Jay Leno one I think, has an interview with the builder. 36 or 38K was mentioned. That'd be US $ so about 100k AUS $ at the moment :rofl
  8. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Don't see a huge issue with the adr side, don't think the old or new postie has a payload of 200kg though but not entirely sure on that.
  9. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Guess you guys caught the announcement by g7 of a move away from fossil fuels by 2100 (or words to that effect)

Mind you I didn't think Italy had that strong a grasp fiscally anymore to be part of the g7.
  10. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    ... by 2100...? :huh that's (still) two lifetimes away...?

Well, at least that makes drawing up my will that much simpler...

..the great, great grandkids won't have to argue over who get's the smokey antique KTM collection... :lol3
  11. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I daresay it will be brought forward, it's just the 10 minute gun. What they are achieving with the euro 3,4,5 sort of stuff is a very good start.

Makes me wonder where the tipping point of replacing my truck is, anything newer runs adblue but also supposedly gets better economy.

Guess it might be when I see the kind of technology they use in line haul, the into neutral at all appropriate times - downhill when not overrunning etc - sort of technology and then I will look harder.

I could probably make do with an electric truck if the payload is still there, my days are not much more than 3-500km mainly metro and I'd just skip the country runs.
  12. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    my new job is hauling bio diesel out of Wollongong area... to up into the hills here.
    apparently, haulage mobs here are getting into it,... yet still repowering
    some old pre EGR gear as well for now.
    I can see electric trucks being viable, basically a rubber tyred electric loco with electric
    traction motors in the hubs probably six wheel drive or even AWD!
  13. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Is biodiesel a viable option? I thought the only thing good it does is prop up the grain prices for the farmers.
  14. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    RFT, my old job in Wodonga use a lot of B20 out of Barnawartha... and apparently transport mobs here and across the Riverina are into it too.
    As I understand it, it has a much higher flash point but burns about the same.
    I'm wary of using it in my 4WD, as the tallow has a detergent effect eventually eating any normal Orings and gaskets in fuel systems.
  15. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Was thinking more is it actually an alternative fuel or just something propped up by subsidies? Does wonders for grain prices, has been keeping the corn prices bubbling along nicely.
  16. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
    around here they use tallow, Canola & Soy... in QLD sugar cane is big for Ethanol.
    I doubt Australian farmers get any subsides for anything, except the 38% off for fossil
    fuels used in production, as does mining.
    I'm told demand for Bio-fuel is higher than they can produce...
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Might have changed but ethanol was keeping a floor on grain prices so it was kind of a backhand subsidy. Grain prices are usually set out of Chicago afaik.
  18. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. JohnG.

JohnG. Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    It's a wonderful world when the pollies want to make miles over a project that reportedly generates 1.8m over 20 years... Obviously a typo I would hope.