Spark Arrestor for new GG? NATC CO round.....

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Jonny042, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Jonny042

Jonny042 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello all,

I am planning to enter the CO round and according to the RMTA website all bikes require a spark arrestor.

Does anyone make one that fits the latest Gas Gas muffler?

Thanks!!
  2. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
  4. Jonny042

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link - I did not think to check their site. I see they are making an adapter to fit the "old" style slip on arrestor to the "new" silencer. A nice solution to the problem.

Are you pleased with the fit of the adapter? Also curious of you notice a loss of power or needed to lean out the jetting at all?

Thanks again, Jon
  5. Jonny042

Oddometer:
    Is the spanish fly spark arrestor "RMTA Legal?"
  6. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:
    I run one on my Sherco 3.2 and RMTA has never questioned it.

There may be rangers at the event who will do a "stick" test, inserting a wooden dowel into the pipe to feel for a screen or turbine type spark arrestor. The rangers have never looked for the USFS stamp. They're pretty reasonable folks.
  7. chainslapAZ

chainslapAZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My neighbor makes the Spanish Fly sparkies and they are definitely sweet. He told me the reason that they aren't USFS approved is because you have to approve every single bike make and displacement for use so it's a huge PITA and costly. Also, most others probably aren't officially approved either...

That said I've run them for years on my bikes and have never had an issue. FS rangers have checked them before as well.

I also had them at the UTE cup the last few years with no hassle and saw plenty of other RMTA folk with them.
  8. turnsleft

turnsleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got this to put on my Gas Gas 280. But it wound up on the 4RT. A little band saw work and a air pop rivet gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little closer look.:D

[​IMG]
  9. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    The fit of the spark arrestor is excellent and I didn't notice any loss of power, although when the 300 is trying to take off like a rocket ship at every opportunity I may not have noticed if there was a slight change. My ear did not notice any choke in the throttle sound between on and off.

While not USFS approved as mentioned, it is labled appropriately and honestly I see no difference between the screen material between the Spanish Fly and the FMF pipe on my WR450.

[​IMG]
  10. Jonny042

Oddometer:
    I've sent an email request to Lewisport for the adapter and a spark arrestor. Thanks for the review!!
  11. Jonny042

Oddometer:
    Well it took a few days to get a reply, after which I got one on order but it didn't show up. After ten days I gave up and cancelled the order.

In the meantime I found that the spark arrestor will fit a 2012 without need for the adapter (they made the tailpipe just a bit longer).

So I just ordered one direct from Spanishfly - great communication and service from them paid paypal, they were out of stock for a bit but shipped right away - and kept me in the loop the whole time :thumbsup
  12. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm running these on my 4rt and my Scorpa TY-S 175. Not much time on them yet, but they certainly add peace of mind in what was - up until last weekend - a very dry spring.